NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have been out test driving 2000 gt-ses and i absolutely love them and will hopefully get one soon. Anyway i have noticed that all of them have had condensation in the headlights, is this normal and can anything be done? Also, the one I am looking at was kind of making a slight screeching noise (kinda of like a metal hitting metal), i know this could be anything and I will have it checked out, but has anyone had this problem. And finally when i turned it on the idle was a little bouncy, again dont know if this is normal or not or whats wrong. Again i love this car and any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Most of the time the condesation comes from putting in aftermarket bulbs. As for the screeching it could be the idle belt tensioner. That part has a TSB out for the Celica. As for the idle. It should idle at around 2krpm until it begins to warm up. The car won't hit the 2nd cam high profile until the proper temperature is reached.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
be careful of miss shifting gts's....i would reconmend taking it to a good seperate mechanic to check it out before you buy it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks a lot, yeah my friend's mechanic is gonna look at it for free, i will definitely mention the belt tensioner. thanks again, and hopefully the condensation will evaporate or whatever. Will toyota fix the tensioner under warranty(it has 33k miles)? I also will definitely have to get used to shifting it(started it in third once accidently but still drove fine)

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Yes, the TSB is covered up to 35k miles. After that it's on you.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Yes the headlights, and belt tensioner are known issues, and I think both have TSBs, if you are buying this from a dealership, then definitely make sure they fix both. The surging idle is common too, seems to come and go, more-so when the engine is cold.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree with Chris25NJ! If under warranty the headlights should be replaced. Also, the tensioner should be replaced - be aware, that if that doesn't fix the squeal, the belt should be replaced as well. This will likely be worse on high-humidity days.

Don't fret the surging unless its truly chronic. Get a fuel-system cleaning done - the kind that hooks into a vacuum line, not just in the gas tank.

And enjoy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts