NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2000 Toyota Celica GT and i was wondering on what can i do to my celica to make it go faster ? My celica is currently stock right now and i wanna add a little power it but i need some help. Also i didnt know where to put this since i just joined today. Im only 17 years old so i cant do much budget wise LOL. Heres a pic of my celica. http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1viitPW9R1qkcselo1_500.jpg

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Welcome to the board, unfortunately Celicas don't respond too well to bolt ons.
If your car is automatic the best thing to do is do a manual conversion.
The only other real thing you can do is get an reputable exhaust such as a TRD, Apexi N1, or Greddy without spending too much money. Possibly a HotShot header if you can find one, but good luck with that.

I recommend not worrying about making it faster in a straight line and just make it handle real nice or look real nice since your budget is probably really tight.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Im only 17 years old so i cant do much budget wise
Cause of this, I would worry about paying it all off first. If that's done, I would recommend finishing up the kit. I would just kit and drop.

And best bang for your buck if you really want more power is a 2zz swap but I would just sell and buy one.

Welcome to the forum and dont forget to check your oil :wave:

·
Registered
923 Posts
I/H/E (intake/header/exhaust) is what most people do as far as performance mods go. Anything more than that is more time and money than it's worth, especially on a 1ZZ. Don't expect any serious gains, but at least it'll sound nicer and feel faster on the butt dyno.

Welcome to the forums BTW.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Welcome to the boards. As mentioned, you will not be adding a whole lot of power by going the usual bolt on route. Intake/exhaust and call it a day for now. Who's is the other Celica?

·
It is known.
8,235 Posts
Injen Intake, Hotshot Header, and TRD exhaust will be your best bet for simple power upgrades. TRD springs and maybe some lighter wheels and then call it a day.

·
o-NO_oB-x
2,920 Posts
i see the kaminari sides. finish off the kit or just return to stock sides. stock body jsut looks weird with kam sides.

as for mods, M/T conversion + driver mod + s2k antenna :D dont forget the butterfly valve removal. its free and easy. takes about 5 minutes. you can go for i/h/e (intake/header/exhaust) but would be a waste on an auto GT,but go ahead if you really want to enjoy what you have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks every1 for all the welcomes and tips ! And yes my celica is a 5 speed not auto. And what are bolt ons ? Yesterday i was cruising to the forums and looked at weight reduction for the celicas to go faster so far i think i have a good idea on what to do now.

For weight reduction ill just take out the spare tire and donut.
For performance ill add a CAI, but which brand do you guys prefer ? AEM, Injen and etc ? And also will i need a hydro shield to prevent water from getting in ? And yea maybe some headers, trd short shifter, some coils to drop it a bit low and some black rims Volk te37 ? i think they would look great black and white.:headbang:

·
Registered
642 Posts
bolt on is wht you said, like a cold air intake, something outside of the engine i guess, ie. I/H/E

EDIT: dont waste your money on a hydro sheild either, if air can get in water can too. its a rip off, just put something over the slots on the wheel well, or if its a short ram dont even bother

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI
Cold air intakes may not do as much as you think. But as it was said before hydro-bypass doesn't work.

Bolt-ons are simple mods that you can "bolt on" such as a CAI, exhaust, or header. (Our car is an inline 4 so we only have one header)
You can try some simple weight reduction like say a lightweight battery, take out scissor jack, tools, spare tire, interior. A lightweight car will be faster in acceleration, turning and deceleration but do it too much and your car doesn't become a nice daily driver.

The best thing to really make your car faster is taking some driver courses/take it to the track. Or lightweight wheels with nice rubber. You said you didn't have much of a budget so I'm not sure how will be able to afford Volks

·
Registered
923 Posts
Thanks every1 for all the welcomes and tips ! And yes my celica is a 5 speed not auto. And what are bolt ons ? Yesterday i was cruising to the forums and looked at weight reduction for the celicas to go faster so far i think i have a good idea on what to do now.

For weight reduction ill just take out the spare tire and donut.
For performance ill add a CAI, but which brand do you guys prefer ? AEM, Injen and etc ? And also will i need a hydro shield to prevent water from getting in ? And yea maybe some headers, trd short shifter, some coils to drop it a bit low and some black rims Volk te37 ? i think they would look great black and white.:headbang:
Bolt-ons are mods that literally bolt right onto your car. Usually this refers to I/H/E, as you can simply unbolt and take out your stock one and bolt the aftermarket one on.

If your car is a DD I wouldn't worry too much about weight reduction. Personally, I never keep anything in my car other than my backpack for when I'm going to school and a jacket in case it gets cold. Keep your car clean and don't be one of those people who have clothes, shoes, boxes, etc. all over the place. Removing the spare is up to you, but understand the risks that come with doing so. If you're thinking about going into hardcore weight reduction i.e. gutting it then I would advise against it unless you're serious about track times and whatnot.

CAIs are generally the same. AEM, Injen, it doesn't matter. Neither of them are significantly better than the other in any way, just get whatever you can find cheaper or that you think looks cooler. You can add a hydro shield or a sock if you want, although I'm not sure how much it'll actually help. Regardless of whether or not you have one, you need to be extra careful and try to avoid puddles.

The Celica has one header (singular, not plural). Shortshifter, coils, and wheels sound good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts