NewCelica.org Forum banner
81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Greddy Supercharged
865 Posts
well going to have to see what happened. Have bigger fish to fry now, I'm down compression on one cylinder. Oil test leads me to believe it's the rings.
Crap! No! any suspects?

In my case, I was finally able to make the Target AF work, and is working ok, 12 steady AFR across the powerband at full load, should work ok as a good correction factor for weather changes, crappy gas or stupid gas + 10% ethanol.

Now onto another thing, and this has been happening even when I did not have the target afr setup (so isn't that): Everytime my car reaches operating temp, and lets say I go do some errands and turn it off, sits there for about half and hour and I come back, when I turn it back on, it goes to fully lean 16-17 and even no readings on my gauge, hesitates a bit (i can hear it hop hop hop), the cure is to give it a few revs or start driving, and after like 30 secs or more it goes back to normal idling at 14.7.

It only happens like I said, when I let the car sit sometime and I turn it back on with the engine still warm, and only for the the first 30 seconds or minute.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
It only happens like I said, when I let the car sit sometime and I turn it back on with the engine still warm, and only for the the first 30 seconds or minute.

Any ideas?
My guess is IAT's are throwing things off. Either that or you are in open loop for a brief bit and the tune is askew momentarily. I wouldn't worry about it.

well going to have to see what happened. Have bigger fish to fry now, I'm down compression on one cylinder. Oil test leads me to believe it's the rings.
Uh oh... sounds like it might be rebuild time soon... :eek:

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
To stroke or not to stroke that is the question.
Hmm. Honestly, I don't know if the power gains are worth it. Doesn't that add a couple grand to the cost of the rebuild?

I believe it's like, what, ~9% increase in VE? Does that net you ~9% more power? If so, it's theoretically another 20 or so at the crank, but not sure if what gets to the wheels would justify the cost...

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
You are rev limited anyway, so stroke away!

On a side note - I put in the down payment on my new dyno a few weeks ago and dynojet has a neat new toy that is REALLY going to help with piggybacks. They now offer a Stock ECU interface so you can lock stock ECU data values (fuel trim, RPM, MAF, ignition advance, Knock learn, etc) on the same plot as your dyno values and wideband output.

I did (of course) order one for my new dyno ;)

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
You are rev limited anyway, so stroke away!
Hmm. That's a really good point -- is the % gain in VE approximately equivalent to the % gain in expected power?

On a side note - I put in the down payment on my new dyno a few weeks ago and dynojet has a neat new toy that is REALLY going to help with piggybacks. They now offer a Stock ECU interface so you can lock stock ECU data values (fuel trim, RPM, MAF, ignition advance, Knock learn, etc) on the same plot as your dyno values and wideband output.
Cooooooool :thumbup:

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Hmm. That's a really good point -- is the % gain in VE approximately equivalent to the % gain in expected power?
Its ricer match, but increase in displacement usually results in a corresponding increase in power. The nice thing is it reduced manifold pressures significantly so the charge is much cooler.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sounds neat! The resolution on our ODBII interface isn't great (aseveryone knows), but if you can monitor 1 sensor at a time to generate the plots you should get pretty decent update speed, then overlay all onto 1 useful plot.

What I would happily pay for if I stick with the EMB would be the LTFT break points. The toyota ECU's 'cells' are not regular 500rpm blocks like we usually tune with, and matching the toyota breakpoints to the piggy back break points would produce a much smoother tune.

But then I fried my intake valves last week some how, so who am I to talk :(

Avendit

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Sounds neat! The resolution on our ODBII interface isn't great (aseveryone knows), but if you can monitor 1 sensor at a time to generate the plots you should get pretty decent update speed, then overlay all onto 1 useful plot.

What I would happily pay for if I stick with the EMB would be the LTFT break points. The toyota ECU's 'cells' are not regular 500rpm blocks like we usually tune with, and matching the toyota breakpoints to the piggy back break points would produce a much smoother tune.

But then I fried my intake valves last week some how, so who am I to talk :(

Avendit
Sorry to hear about your valves man :(

What sort of connection do you have between your OBD and your PC? I used to use bluetooth, until that scanner died. I was getting about 2.9 sensor reads per second. With my new USB one, I get closer to 5 per second, so the LTFT map is far more detailed. Just don't connect both your eManage and OBD via USB at the same time - I think it causes some nasty ground loop!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Good to know - thanks gravel. I'm on bluetooth just now, at the expected 2.9 reads/second. If I continue with the piggy back I'll give a USB reader a go. Cheers.

Find out the damage tomorrow hopefully :/

Avendit

·
Greddy Supercharged
865 Posts
Target A/F

Well, the Target A/F seems to work but buggy as hell. I was using it kinda like a correction factor for my tune due to weather, gas changes etc. It worked fine for around a couple of days, keeping my afr's at a nice 12. But after a couple of days it royally screwed my idle, don't know how. I didn't even touch the idle on the target map (just put it to correct on full throttle). One day, the car started to jump down and up on idle, having super lean readings (16's to none) and eventually almost stalling and throwing a multiple and each cylinder missfire under this. Erased the target a/f function, and voila, everything fine under idle.

Any ideas? I thought it was supposed to just touch whatever part of the map I told it to (ie just 100% throttle) and my idle/closed loop.

·
Greddy Supercharged
865 Posts
Did it actually change any values at idle? All those cells should be 0 or very close to it.
I didn't notice any change. Maybe was the engine anti stall setting on the water temps? For some reason it got put as -17 or something. And I didn't do it, maybe a bug? I have it now clear at 0. So far so good. Other change is I only put the target af on 100% throttle and nothing on 90%, so will see. Weird thing, is when I datalog and for example I floor it, emanage reads a throttle position max 97% not 100%, so im wondering if the target af is even getting activated. Will keep an eye on this.

How is your rebuild going on? Decided to go stroked already or still thinking on it?

·
Greddy Supercharged
865 Posts
exactly it is in the parameter settings. with the key in the on position and motor off start the test then step on the gas all the way it will calibrate itself.

Also Like I said before set your autotune to 75% it will work trust me.
Ok Rick, I'll try all that this weekend I'm gonna make that target a/f fvcker work. :gap:

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Jordan,

So you would recommend zeroing out the airflow adj map? Greddys settings are useless there?
Yeah, I only use that map in regions where the MAF sensor is maxing out.

In theory, you could use it to fine tune around fuel trims, but I feel that tuning out LTFT's via the inj map does the job nicely.

If you currently have both maps tuned around LTFT's, you should zero out both maps, reset the ECU, and start logging from scratch after the LTFT's are stable. Then just dial them out with inj map corrections as detailed in the tuning sticky.

·
Registered
866 Posts
The airflow adj map should only be used really if you are running past the stock MAF range. Other then that it is a mystery tool becasue it tricks the ECM into thinking the MAF has a different amount of air coming through it adjusts timing and fuel trims.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts