NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that I have one yet, but does anyone know how much it would cost to have a turbo installed? I wanted to know how much more I would have to save to get one and have it put in. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Save your money. It would be too difficult to tune a turbo with the E10 added into our gas. It started out as 10% but I heard that it might go up to 15%.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm not from Hawaii, but NY state also has E10 in all of our gas, yet C2Power (who produce one of the most recommended celica turbo kits on this site) bases their U.S. operations in NY state.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Toy4War said:
Not that I have one yet, but does anyone know how much it would cost to have a turbo installed? I wanted to know how much more I would have to save to get one and have it put in. Thanks.
The parts and install are fixed costs, really. The tuning and constant maintenance are the real "hidden" costs that you need to consider. Ask around from people who have turboed cars and see what kind of problems they have been dealing with since Ethanol was added.
Even better ask any mechanic who specializes in aftermarket parts installation and see what he/she has to say. Do you have a GT or GT-S?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
here's the thing...if you have to "save" for a turbo and you don't have the money to put one in, don't.

don't listen to emotart...price is very different in hawaii. best thing to do is price it out yourself. find out these things:

-the cost of the kits that are available (if you're not customizing it)
-a vendor that will ship to hawaii (or find a shop that can bring it in for you)
-shipping cost to hawaii
-determine what you can and can't do yourself
-other parts you'll need that's not included with the kit (clutch, filters, blahblah)
-lastly and most important, if you're not going to install it yourself, find a reputable place that has done it.

best thing to do is install the kit yourself either way. some kits allow you to put it in w/o an engine lift, while others require one.

as for the ethanol additive, don't worry too much about it unless you're planning on racing the car.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Well, installation on custom kits are quite expensive. Most shops charge a lot down here when 3/4 of the time, they aren' even working on your car. Slopokegts covered most of everything else. For a greddy kit install on a civic, hyper's charged me $400. I should've just done it myself since I did my first one.

Price is different down here. Also, shops down here are way more crooked and not willing to help you unless you know someone.

Hey, if I get my turbo in before you, I'll give you a hand. If I ever find a turbo since my sis's one is a t70 so it's too big for my goals.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm getting my Greddy supercharger for my GTS soon. That might be a way to go. The kit is basically a bolt-on and already has a pre-programmed e-manage included. Let me know if you're interested. I got mine for a lot cheaper then what greddy sells it for.

·
Registered
905 Posts
The only thing is is that the e-manage is a base map and should be tuned. But I would recommend the greddy s/c also. I just have more turbo knowledge so I went that route.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Toy4War said:
1320 Performance in Maui installed mine for $1g including tuning. I would say that it was worth it since theyre the only place here in Maui that has a dyno.
The only drawback is that whenever i need to get my car tuned, i would need to pay extra because of my engine management.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts