NewCelica.org Forum banner

41 - 60 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
i went with the supercharger due to the ease of installation. the only issues were the cracked brackets (easily fixed or replaced by the boe brackets) and the bypass valve (easily replaced as well). some of us just wanted a little more pep not a destroy all vehicle. just know your power goals ahead of time. it may be better just to change your platform.
Roger that.....

Ha, for the first time we also agree:gap: Big plus 1... the 2ZZ is a pretty tough motor to "work with" from a $$ point of view. Getting 280-290whp is a cake walk. No big deal. Obtaining much more than that and it takes FU money, time, and experience.

Start with a k20/k24 frankenstein platform, subi, evo or just something with bigger balls unless you're really just the pioneering sort that would drop your junk in a desk drawer and slam it shut with a smile on your face:AF:...

My two cents which are probably worth less...

Phil
I don't have a **** load of money to drop into my car. But I also love my car, I was going to trade it in a few months ago but pulled out at the last second. I have been through hell and back with my Celi and I don't want to get rid of it. But I realize if I want to make a big power increase with my vehicle I am going to have to upgrade.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Ha, for the first time we also agree:gap: Big plus 1... the 2ZZ is a pretty tough motor to "work with" from a $$ point of view. Getting 280-290whp is a cake walk. No big deal. Obtaining much more than that and it takes FU money, time, and experience.

Start with a k20/k24 frankenstein platform, subi, evo or just something with bigger balls unless you're really just the pioneering sort that would drop your junk in a desk drawer and slam it shut with a smile on your face:AF:...

My two cents which are probably worth less...

Phil
All engines break when you push them past their original designed output....it doesn't matter what make of car....... If you fuvk with a stock engine it will break......they're all the same.

Hondas, Subi, EVO, Porsche, Audi, you name it if you ask for more and you don't build for it, it will fail...

I have been testing furniture for years,,,,,:gap:

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
I don't have a **** load of money to drop into my car. But I also love my car, I was going to trade it in a few months ago but pulled out at the last second. I have been through hell and back with my Celi and I don't want to get rid of it. But I realize if I want to make a big power increase with my vehicle I am going to have to upgrade.
Sell it. Turbocharging a car is a money pit. At this point, the cost adding forced induction will run you pretty much what the car is worth when all is said and done with tuning and other BS that you don't think of outside the cost of the basic kit.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Sell it. Turbocharging a car is a money pit. At this point, the cost adding forced induction will run you pretty much what the car is worth when all is said and done with tuning and other BS that you don't think of outside the cost of the basic kit.
Again Jesse is on the money.....once you stsrt throwing money into the car in a quest for power you are so fuvked......

Even with a built motor the quest for more power drags you in... Hell I've turned up the boost twice and lowered the cam switch point since I made my very first 460rwhp dyno pull......

Dam dude power is like a drug......and I can't afford drugs because of this stupid car......Just say NO..:eek:

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
4,137 Posts
Again Jesse is on the money.....once you stsrt throwing money into the car in a quest for power you are so fuvked......

Even with a built motor the quest for more power drags you in... Hell I've turned up the boost twice and lowered the cam switch point since I made my very first 460rwhp dyno pull......

Dam dude power is like a drug......and I can't afford drugs because of this stupid car......Just say NO..:eek:
lol

Maybe I should let you have my sig... :gap:

Hows the Lotus chassis holding up with all of that power?

·
Banned
7,355 Posts
Hows the Lotus chassis holding up with all of that power?
???

Is the Lotus making like 1000 whp along with 1000 wtq @ 1000 rpms or something?? question seems a bit...I dunno...stupid

·
Banned
206 Posts
???

Is the Lotus making like 1000 whp along with 1000 wtq @ 1000 rpms or something?? question seems a bit...I dunno...stupid
Our lotus chassis was originally designed for about 120bhp and about 1700lbs, then upped to 190bhp and about 2,000lbs when the current version came out-- with only minimal tweaks to the chassis in that move... Frank's probably pushing 550bhp, has widen the stance, and added a weight above and beyond the 2,000lbs previously mentioned...

Folks that race the Lotus cars with just 300-400bhp have mentioned that the subsequent chassis stiffening from adding the required cage is much appreciated. Keep in mind our chassis weights just about 150 lbs and is paper thin aluminum. It's stiff, but it's no F1 car...

Doesn't seem to be too stupid of a question to me...;)

·
Banned
7,355 Posts
your chassis isn't in danger with a little over 300 wtq at like 5000 rpm ....who are you fooling??? There are civics from the early 90s (weighing similar to your lotus, crx look it up) designed for sub 100 wtq with wayyyyy more power than that lotus and their chassis is fine. So again, who are you fooling ??

·
Banned
206 Posts
I never said the chassis was in "danger" or not. I'm not fooling anyone. You're giving the kid a hard time for what isn't a stupid question. If anything, it was a conversational question.

The civics you're talking about are softly sprung, uni-bodies or framed chassis, and likely setup for drag racing- made of steel, welded together, front engine, additional chassis braces, and maybe even a full cage without 1,000hp/tq (as you put it), etc...

The Lotus chassis is an all aluminum bathtub and is literally held together with glue and pop rivets. The chassis will be more compliant in some area and less in others when it comes to gobs of power applied to the ground. It (stock or Frank

·
Banned
7,355 Posts
if you say so. Let me know when a sub 400 wtq lotus snaps in half due to it's power (I'll be the FIRST to apologize...I guarantee it). Somehow I doubt it'll ever happen. BTW the crxs in question have ZERO bracing

·
Banned
206 Posts
Nobody ever said it would snap in half or that it was in "danger". Maybe it is and maybe it isn't... Read the post again... The lotus is all about good handling. Chassis flex ruins the car, as it ruins the handling. If it's flexing due to the power/weight/tire stance/etc or if the motor mounts are tearing away from the aluminum for an example, then that's not good. I'm not saying it is or it isn't. The thing is super delicate and doesn't deal with much abuse at all...

If the chassis flexes on a civic, then who gives a damn? A 1,000whp civic is not built for handling--- it's a straight line only...

You really just don't understand. And that's OK...

Good question GT.

Phil

·
Banned
7,355 Posts
Then I misinterpreted the question...when I hear the phrase "how is it holding up" that to me implies some kind of imminent failure on the horizon...Guess you're right...I just don't understand

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
4,137 Posts
Geez...if you guys must know..."holding up" just doesn't mean snapping in half to me...a car can be "together"...but could be only one launch away from something bad happening. Assumptions and ignorance seems to be a problem here...

Anyway...regardless of whatever Vendetta there is against every little word I type...my question was based on this thread I made a while ago on lotustalk:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160/first-505-whp-2zz-37258/

4.400 whp is what I consider the limit for the Lotus chassis. We were making 395whp with a gt2871 @19 psi....so there is alot of potential to go higher. We have since turned down the power a bit as that was just too much and the car is still the fastest "street car" I have driven. to adrees the question about the chassis actually handling that power....you will break things. First the motor mounts will be torn apart...so you make stiffer mounts...then the attachment points start failing(trans mount bolt tearing threads..lower trans mount bracket on tub ripping at the bolt holes)....then you turn the power down and still be happy that the car is still stupid fast.
5.The transmission is not that strong! The syncros are quite adequate....the actual gearsets are a little weak....surface area is too small and the metal could be a little stronger. You would actually be better off with a front drive(street tires) as there wouldn't be enough traction to really shock the transmission.

These are just my thoughts from the experience I have gained tuning these cars for the last couple of years.
Even though he's a honda fanatic that will plague you with evil forcedfed voodoo curses if you talk bad about hondas or claim the 2zz is better than the B18...he works on Lotus vehicles extensively...and didn't just make an apples to oranges comparison with his extensive experience with Hondas...

In any case, ronin does have a sick ride. :hitit:

But if there's a plus to supercharging...the Greddy MP62/Turbophil TVS routes can allow you to look less suspect without an intercooler (goal for me)...and allow you to install them with the help of a few friends in less than a day. Add a progressive W/I kit with 3D mapping to a TVS setup, and that will be a VERY unsuspecting GTS...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Nobody ever said it would snap in half or that it was in "danger". Maybe it is and maybe it isn't... Read the post again... The lotus is all about good handling. Chassis flex ruins the car, as it ruins the handling. If it's flexing due to the power/weight/tire stance/etc or if the motor mounts are tearing away from the aluminum for an example, then that's not good. I'm not saying it is or it isn't. The thing is super delicate and doesn't deal with much abuse at all...

If the chassis flexes on a civic, then who gives a damn? A 1,000whp civic is not built for handling--- it's a straight line only...

You really just don't understand. And that's OK...

Good question GT.

Phil
Where the fuvk do you get this crap from...There is nothing wrong with the chassis handling the power and the mounts aren't tearing out of the frame...dude wake up and talk about something you have first hand experence with..... I know "Lotus racers" not some track day know it alls and the car can take whatever you want it to if you do it right...

How the fuvk can you say chassis flex will ruin the Lotus when you don't know first hand, just as you say stiff springs will....you just don't know so shut up and stick to topics like making a sandwitch plate for a TVS/MP62 manifold.....leave the car setups to guys that know what they're doing..

Casey doesn't know **** about how much power the Lotus can take or make since every car the put a turbo on blew it's engine and gearbox....

If you want answers talk to the guys that have been there done that..

·
Banned
206 Posts
Frank, I didn't say the chassis would have problems. Read my post and stop making stuff up...
GT asked how it was holding up. One guys says stupid question. I say it's not stupid because, in a nutshell, it's *plausible* to think there may be chassis problems (define "problems" however you like), so it was a good question. I also said, that only YOU would know if there were any problems you ego maniac. I was defending GT, not slamming your ride or your abilities, so try for two seconds not to be dick...

Phil

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
4,137 Posts
It's all good. Forums are forums.

Anyway, WEB3.0 made a comparison between Eaton vs. centrifugal vs. turbo, but spyderchat is down so I couldn't post it here. Very nice info, since he's done all 3 on his MR2-S when it was 1zz powered , but I think is now 2zz powered and rotrex supercharged.

But then again...he sells those DIY rotrex kits... :chuckles: . I'll take his word for the pluses of centrifugal S/C's, even though the driving style and use of a MR2-S is TOTALLY different than that of a Celica.

41 - 60 of 142 Posts