NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The UK GTS is supposed to have 190 HP as opposed to the US 180 HP. Anybody have a dyno to post for a UK spec GTS?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have seen many Dynos in european magazines. When new the car dynoed 175 hp after a couple of thousand kilometres it dynoed 182 hp.

but i don't have a dyno scanned, sorry. Trial's header dyno should give you an idea as well. That car has an exhaust, header and 105 octane gas. In europe most places can have access to 99+ octane gas. Trust me it is the difference in octanes that gives the extra hp. The ECU makes full use of the higher octane gas. When I use gas with low octane rating there a noticeable loss in hp.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Who told you that UK GT-S have more power?I think trhey are the same and the reason people may believe they have more power is because they are listed in PS and kilowat's or somthing.I know the ps to HP raio isn't one to one and all the GT-S's I've seen here in Germany have about 192 ps?Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Search for ps - hp raio's and there should be soe talk on this~Brad

·
Registered
514 Posts
Brad it is not just uk cars. it is both japanese and european cars. They have a different ECU and different emissions control (EGR). I haven't seen any US stock celica in the 175hp area. have you seen trial's dyno?was it in ps or hp? i cant remember

I think european cars have larger front discs. i am not sure though. even parts like the alternator pulley are different. people had difficulties installing a UR pulley on a european car.

I know there is a difference with ps and hp but I am quite sure that the difference in hp has to do with the gas octane rating. What do you have in the states 87?

·
Registered
415 Posts
We in the US calculate our octane differently than the rest of the world...it's a common thread actually, the US somehow feels they have to do things differently, miles vs kilometers for instance, TDMA/CDMA vs. GSM, the list goes on forever.

What it boils down to though is that the US uses the average of the RON and MON ratings when displaying octane of gasoline and the rest of the world uses the higher of the two, MON I think but I'm not positive, as their sole criteria. The 94 octane Sunoco I put in my tank is actually equal to or higher octane than European 99 octane.

·
Registered
514 Posts
phil c i didn't know about that.

And the Gt model in europe is listed with about 143 hp which is the same with usa.

Following the same logic then the t-sport is 12hp more than the usa model

1 - 6 of 6 Posts