NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am wondering is anyone has any experience with ikelite underwater housings. I would love to be able to take my D70 underwater (especially on out upcoming trip to Hawaii) but I am having trouble justifying spending 1k on a housing.

If I budget for $1000 I have a few options:

1. Ikelite Underwater Housing
I have researched them a little and from what I can tell this will not be very interchangeable if I upgrade cameras down the road. It is a bit bulky but it will also likely yield the best photo quality.

2. Buy one of the cheap underwater camera bags for the D70.
These cost between $20 and $120. I don't really trust them but I could spend the remaining money upgrading to a nicer camera to replace the D70 when the bad eventually leaks.

3. Just buy a $300 underwater point and shoot camera.
From what I can tell these take pretty decent pictures but it would only really be good for capturing memories and not for more serious photography.

I am hoping someone has some experience in this area and can chime in. I don't plan on ever taking it too deep 25-30 feet would probably be the max for now.

·
Registered
383 Posts
1. Only if you are planning on taking a LOT of underwater picture with your current camera.

2. This could be a good option. At the seals you could apply a small amount of Vaseline as an insurance policy and probably be fine at mediocre depths (although I've only used an underwater camera once, and it was a point-and-shoot, so that's highly hipothetical).

3. I had a friend bring her water-proof Sony point-and-shoot to spring break last year. Took typical P and S shots with no damage to the camera. It got throw around all week - not a scratch.

In all honesty, it's up to you. If it's one trip, throw $200-$250 on a Sony P and S and it will take mediocre pictures for the next couple of years. If it's the next 3-5 years worth of trips, invest in a cheap water-proof casing, and if the D70 dies then upgrade to a D90. The only reason to have a D70 over a D90 is the higher sync speed, which I'm is irrelevant unless you're using an external flash. I wouldn't even invest in a 1k camera casing, because for that money you can buy a brand new camera, unless you are planning on holding on to that camera for a decade or so.

·
Banned
336 Posts
I just dont understand why anyone would want to plunge their Celi in the water and take pics of it down there....just doesnt seem right , but to each his /her own......btw....please post pics of it......

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just dont understand why anyone would want to plunge their Celi in the water and take pics of it down there....just doesnt seem right , but to each his /her own......btw....please post pics of it......
This made me laugh.

Those bags are pretty much what I am talking about. Its just hard to trust any camera to what is essentialy heavy duty zip lock. I will also have a hell of a time changing any of the settings.

Droid- Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts