NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I cut out the stock muffler and add a universal muffler with all the stock piping inplace. Will I gain, or lose any power at all?

The reason I'm asking this, is because I can't afford a TRD exhaust yet. And I want some kind of exhaust thing going on until then. So, is it worth it? Or am I better off just waiting for the TRD?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Honestly, you can use a universal muffler, but it's going to be very hard to mount it up using the stock pipes. You could do a complete custom job to get around this, but then you'd be real close to the price of the TRD unit and I can promise you that the muffler shop will not use full mandrel stuff either. In other words, it would be a waste.

The reason why you can't use the stock pipes is the way the stock exhaust is ran. It isn't like a normal exhaust. Here, let me post a picture to show you what I mean. Maybe this will help you understand.

I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Save your cash for the TPR piece.... It isnt worth the time (or cash) to try to change the axle back exhaust (at an exhaust shop)... Look at what Red posted... It is much better to go with an aftermarket "Bolt On" kit.

Patients, young Jedi

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Originally posted by SatansLilCelica
Save your cash for the TPR piece.... It isnt worth the time (or cash) to try to change the axle back exhaust (at an exhaust shop)... Look at what Red posted... It is much better to go with an aftermarket "Bolt On" kit.

Patients, young Jedi
:werd:
TPR costs $50-$100 less than TRD, too. Pretty good for an exhaust that makes much more power than TRD. :)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Now, for unbiased response--You could get a custom exhaust for cheaper than the TPR or TRD. And you could pick the muffler (bonus!).

I'm just teasing the TPR guys in this thread.

·
Registered
470 Posts
That is true... But you didnt read what he said....

Originally posted by Pink Spider
If I cut out the stock muffler and add a universal muffler with all the stock piping inplace.
Unless I am incorrect, I understood question as: remove the stock muffler and (use the remaining piping) add a muffler... Guess I misunderstood!?!?!??!?!

If so, excuse me for suggesting (a sponsor of the site) TPR's piece... From what I have read, its lookin pretty good!

fraNK

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is strange, but my exhaust doesn't look like the one in that picture.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
SatansLilCelica said:
That is true... But you didnt read what he said....

Unless I am incorrect, I understood question as: remove the stock muffler and (use the remaining piping) add a muffler... Guess I misunderstood!?!?!??!?!

If so, excuse me for suggesting (a sponsor of the site) TPR's piece... From what I have read, its lookin pretty good!

fraNK

Uh, you understood right. Which confuses me more when I read your advice....Why would replacing the whole exhaust be a cheap solution to a custom muffler?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
i have a Megan racing muffler ($60) and I got it custom piped from the 1st resinator ($50). i notice maybe a slight gain, but its also not that loud outside, its deep, Its loud as **** inside. I also haven't gotten harassed about it from cops. Its sounds like a super-bike. I like it and well worthe the money

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was gonna do a custom exhaust setup awhile back. But I've heard that alot of people have lost alot of low-end power, so that's why I decided to go with TRD. But, is there a way to do a custom setup without the low end going away?

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I suggest to do a custom exhaust. Pick your favourite str8 thru design exhaust. And have some piping done up to the axel back .. or to the back of front res ..as you whish, but leave the front res there!!! Ask for mandrel bend if you can afford. I did this with a tanabe tuner racing medaillon and luv it. Very great sound +++ (not too loud IMO ..), pretty light for a stainless exhaust, about the best gains you can have up top, prolly slightly less than no exhaust at all which will always be the best exhaust for high end power. As for low end power, it seems pretty good to me, not bad at all. There's probably a better solution for low end power since restriction helps low end power.. and this setup doesnt have much restriction!! Just depends of what you want.

Anyways, I hesitated for a year to go with this custom setup and I recommend this instead of going with a bolt-on exhaust now that I've tried it. Even if the custom job would be as pricey as the bolt-on, I would definitly choose the custom exhaust that I have right now.

As for messing with stock axel back, I dont think it would be worth it honestly.

Ho .. and .. did I mention I luv my current setup? :wiggle:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Why does everyone think that you'll make more power with no exhaust then you would with a properly tuned exhaust?

This cracks me up.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Pink Spider said:
If I cut out the stock muffler and add a universal muffler with all the stock piping inplace. Will I gain, or lose any power at all?

The reason I'm asking this, is because I can't afford a TRD exhaust yet. And I want some kind of exhaust thing going on until then. So, is it worth it? Or am I better off just waiting for the TRD?
You have a GT? If so dont waste your money on a TRD exhaust, go for the custom setup it works better with a 2.25 straight piping ;)

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
danGTS said:
I suggest to do a custom exhaust. Pick your favourite str8 thru design exhaust. And have some piping done up to the axel back .. or to the back of front res ..as you whish, but leave the front res there!!! Ask for mandrel bend if you can afford. I did this with a tanabe tuner racing medaillon and luv it. Very great sound +++ (not too loud IMO ..), pretty light for a stainless exhaust, about the best gains you can have up top, prolly slightly less than no exhaust at all which will always be the best exhaust for high end power. As for low end power, it seems pretty good to me, not bad at all. There's probably a better solution for low end power since restriction helps low end power.. and this setup doesnt have much restriction!! Just depends of what you want.

Anyways, I hesitated for a year to go with this custom setup and I recommend this instead of going with a bolt-on exhaust now that I've tried it. Even if the custom job would be as pricey as the bolt-on, I would definitly choose the custom exhaust that I have right now.

As for messing with stock axel back, I dont think it would be worth it honestly.

Ho .. and .. did I mention I luv my current setup? :wiggle:
:werd:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Red01GTS said:
Why does everyone think that you'll make more power with no exhaust then you would with a properly tuned exhaust?

This cracks me up.
Because sound = power....DUH red

hahahaha

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright, can someone post up a pic of how I should setup a good custom exhaust? And, I'd want it to be loud, but not annoying loud. And I sure don't want no farting bee sound either. I want some good gains and a sound that'll turn some heads.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts