NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm completely frustrated with my celica at the moment and after you read this you'll know why.

HOW THE HELL DOES COOLANT LEAK OUT OF YOUR OIL PAN GASKET?

Not only that, how does coolant leak out of your oil pan gasket and still be 100% coolant. No oil/coolant mixture at all. I cupped my hand under the leak to see and smell it. No hint of oil smell at all and it was all green coolant. On top of that, my oil is still 100% oil. Not milky at all.

WTF is going on with my celica?

To double check that it was coming out of my oil pan gasket, I wiped the whole side of the motor off so everything was dry. That's when I noticed that one certain spot of the gasket was saturated with some kind of fluid. Turned the car on and within about 10 seconds, out it came. Almost a steady stream of coolant.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
its not coming out of your pan gasket. you need to brake clean the whole area and see where the trail is coming from. most likely its running down and around the pan gasket. if you have a blower nozzle and an air compressor wait for the leak to happen, then blow the coolant out of the hole/area you think its coming from. that'll push out the coolant and you should see it flow out of that particular area.

you can mix oil and coolant and it'll separate itself. like if your car sits and has a coolant leak into the engine and you pull the drain plug you'll get coolant out of it before oil.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I'm completely frustrated with my celica at the moment and after you read this you'll know why.

Not only that, how does coolant leak out of your oil pan gasket and still be 100% coolant. No oil/coolant mixture at all. I cupped my hand under the leak to see and smell it. No hint of oil smell at all and it was all green coolant. On top of that, my oil is still 100% oil. Not milky at all.

To double check that it was coming out of my oil pan gasket, I wiped the whole side of the motor off so everything was dry. That's when I noticed that one certain spot of the gasket was saturated with some kind of fluid. Turned the car on and within about 10 seconds, out it came. Almost a steady stream of coolant.
Any thoughts?
its not coming out of your pan gasket. you need to brake clean the whole area and see where the trail is coming from. most likely its running down and around the pan gasket.

you can mix oil and coolant and it'll separate itself. like if your car sits and has a coolant leak into the engine and you pull the drain plug you'll get coolant out of it before oil.
I'll do a video tomorrow when its light out to show that its coming out of the gasket. I had the entire side of the motor dry and completely lit up well to see where it was coming from. Wasn't coming down from the motor then down across the oil pan, it came right out of the gasket. It's coming out of the gasket just below the crank pulley so I could see if it was coming around from the front or not.

·
ninotnax
2,783 Posts
Sorry I can't help much, but why are you running the green coolant?

You should be using the red Toyota coolant, or something better like Amsoil (which is yellow). Unless there's a reason I'm not aware of, just wondering.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I can't help much, but why are you running the green coolant?

You should be using the red Toyota coolant, or something better like Amsoil (which is yellow). Unless there's a reason I'm not aware of, just wondering.
It was cheaper. Didn't want to use better coolant just to have it end up leaking on the ground.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
its leaking from above and running along, check the front of the block. You don't know how many times I've seen people change the wrong gasket to fix a leak that was from somewhere else.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
its leaking from above and running along, check the front of the block. You don't know how many times I've seen people change the wrong gasket to fix a leak that was from somewhere else.
:thumbup: yuppers, there is no possible way for it to come out of your oil pan gasket.

video would be nice. but in all reality you do have to fallow the leak up. clean all the way up. you'll see a whole trail.

a good place to start is following your coolant lines. upper, lower, heater core inlet, outlet, and every other hose coming out of your reservoir, and that solid pipe that snakes behind the intake. probably that seal there. on the passenger side towards the front of your engine behind the intake. those oem clamps usually don't last very well after being removed. most of the time a worm clamp will be needed to stop the leak if its coming from a hose.

or water pump. that would suck. leaning towards water pump now that i really think about it.

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
^ Water pump or thermo housing. Unless you have a TRD oil cooler, in which case it could be coming from that too.

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Sounds like maybe a timing cover leak. I had one guy use a bolt that was too long to attach the timing cover to the block, so it was not sitting completely flush and was letting coolant out through the crank pulley. I had to pull the engine to figure out what the problem was, when I pulled the timing cover I saw an extra indentation from one of the 10mm bolts in the block and put 2 and together.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
I;m also siding with the rest, not coming from the oil pan gasket, rather likely it's getting there from the waterpump.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Any thoughts?
I know this is about Celica's; however, I have an '06 Altima with untainted coolant coming out of the oil pan. I had drained to oil to do a change and have the pan screw off, jacked up the front left side of the car, antifreeze began dripping, I put my finger over the hole where the oil pan screw goes and the leak stopped.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts