NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the car to the dealer. They took apart the head to see the damage and found little bits of spark plug throughout my engine. The tip of one was found in my oil pan. In essence, the engine is gone R.I.P.

Current Situation: I dont know how but we have convinced my insurance to pay for a complete new engine (2003) if the cost of repair is less than the value of the car. This would be sweet!
If the cost of repair is more than the value of the car they want to total it. This would suck and I would say nevermind.

The dealer quoted $9840.00 for complete new engine and labor. I believe my Blue Book value for my car is around $10500.00 so hopefully they will cover it. If not I have found 2 used engines I can buy to replace. My question is does anyone know if I will have any trouble with continuing my full coverage with a used motor installed?

·
Registered
209 Posts
9,000 is a complete ripoff there is no way that the engine costs that much, all of your accesories can be reused (power steering, air con etc.) The short block 1zz is $1800 and the head is $700. If you have to replace everything you shouldn't be looking at more than $4500 in parts from the dealer and they shouldn't really charge you more than 40 hours labor which at $70 and hour would add up up to 2800 you shouldn't have to spend anymore than about $7400 which is still too much for for a 1zz, get an itemized list from the dealer and then check of the parts and find out how much they are charging for labor. You can check the prices of parts easily on west covina toyotas website (they are a sponsor her so look for their banner on that page). If you car is already depreciated to around 10,000 then you should only really be considering a used engine because you are going to lose too much money. If you are really stuck you can, and this is going to sound stupid but it was recommended to me by the deaer when my car blew up, look into trading the car into the dealer as is, it will only cost them maybe 3500 to 4000 to put a new motor. That cost will be passed on to you but if you have any equity in the car or a little bit of cash you can erase alot of that negative and if need be hide it in a deal on a new car. The option you have in front of you currently is bad, do not fix your car at that price, argue or explore alternatives.

·
Banned
3,768 Posts
could someone explain to me why an insurance company would replace a blown engine? i'm new to this so i don't know if this is normal, i mean i know they'll end up giving it to you up the @ss without the KY jelly but still.... :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I still owe around $13000 on the car so selling or trading in would make me loose money. I absolutely understand that $9000 is ridiculous. The quoted the cost of the engine itself as $8000. I am also sure that they are replacing pretty much everything under my hood and not reusing any parts.

Heres the thing...Since I am only 22 and am still in college(until May 10th whoo hoo!!!) the car was placed under my father's name on title and insurance. Now if for some crazy reason the insurance covers a complete under the hood replacement I am sure the insurance premiums would go up. But I would basically have a new car.

After graduation my dad was going to sell the car to me for whatever was still owed on it. So I would be getting a "new" car for around $12000.00. I would have to get insurance under my name so any rise in premiums that he might encounter would be for only one payment and then he would be cancelling:).

Like I said if they dont cover it, I am not paying that much. As I posted I have found 2 used engines that I could put in for under $1100. So I either get a "new car" with no money spent or a used engine for around $1000.00

ToyoGT: insurance normally wouldnt cover it but we have good contacts with them and they are pulling alot of strings for us.

I will keep everyone updated !!

Later

1 - 8 of 8 Posts