NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo what's up. I haven't been on for a while I had to leave the car alone for a few weeks, Its one thing after another. And it just pisses us off. And I have to replenish our funds. This project got mad expensive. Well now we got up to 366whp then had some pressure plate slipping issues. I made some calls and I should be getting that fixed I think I ordered the wrong one or something. But Andy at south bend clutch is working with me to fix the issue.
Well Now my wastgate is staying open until the car hits 15psi then it usually closes. Until then its like open headers. So it sucks when you first start up the car and if your stuck in traffic. It only seems to be happening at cold starts. Now it was fine for around 200 miles and then it started to happen. Any ideas????
I talked to Alex at Neukin and he told me that I should have the top nipple open on the wastgate well it is connected. I haven't had time to get under their again to go over the vacuum lines but I cant find the paper that I wrote the directions from him and I hate to ask him again. Plus I would like to get a few inputs on this.
I have a trial wastgate and trial Bov and a greedy boost controller and a auto meter non digital boost gauge. I now see they are using the little nipple coming off of the intake. And then it is also tapped into the larger vacuum hoses.
Any help would be appreciated. Or Alex if you read this please post it so I don't loose it. And im sure it will help others with your set up.

Another think im having problems with is the downpipe keeps coming undone I used new bolds and lockwashers and locktight red. Came appart 2 times in about 50 miles each time. Any ideas??

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
whoa...did you say wastegate is open, then it closes? you got it all backwards buddy. the wastegate is closed untill you reach boost pressure and then it opens...as for the port on the top of the wastegate, thats so you can run more boost then what the spring inside allows...so for example if you have a 10psi spring in the wastegate, it will open at 10psi...if you want to run more boost, then you run the line on top and it adds pressure on top of the spring...its like a 1 to 1 so for every pound of boost you add on the spring, you will make 1 more pound of manifold pressure

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Your downpipe keeps on coming undone? stripped out maybe? :shrugs:

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
I'm having some boost/wastegate issues myself. I can't get the damn thing much over 9psi, and I'm running full gain and 75% duty cycle on the damn boost controller. I also need to recheck all those connections, although I'm pretty sure they're right. The guy I got the controller from said he was having boost issues due to a bad wastegate, but now I'm really starting to suspect that the solenoid valve is not working properly.

·
Registered
759 Posts
i know greddy had a bad batch of boost controller solenoids a little while back, i'm pretty sure they were mainly shipped out with the type s boost controllers.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
SEASIDE-GRAPHIX said:
Yo what's up. I haven't been on for a while I had to leave the car alone for a few weeks, Its one thing after another. And it just pisses us off. And I have to replenish our funds. This project got mad expensive. Well now we got up to 366whp then had some pressure plate slipping issues. I made some calls and I should be getting that fixed I think I ordered the wrong one or something. But Andy at south bend clutch is working with me to fix the issue.
Well Now my wastgate is staying open until the car hits 15psi then it usually closes. Until then its like open headers. So it sucks when you first start up the car and if your stuck in traffic. It only seems to be happening at cold starts. Now it was fine for around 200 miles and then it started to happen. Any ideas????
I talked to Alex at Neukin and he told me that I should have the top nipple open on the wastgate well it is connected. I haven't had time to get under their again to go over the vacuum lines but I cant find the paper that I wrote the directions from him and I hate to ask him again. Plus I would like to get a few inputs on this.
I have a trial wastgate and trial Bov and a greedy boost controller and a auto meter non digital boost gauge. I now see they are using the little nipple coming off of the intake. And then it is also tapped into the larger vacuum hoses.
Any help would be appreciated. Or Alex if you read this please post it so I don't loose it. And im sure it will help others with your set up.

Another think im having problems with is the downpipe keeps coming undone I used new bolds and lockwashers and locktight red. Came appart 2 times in about 50 miles each time. Any ideas??

Dont know about the wastegate issue, sound completly wierd, try running it without the boost controller to see what it does. BTW the bottome port should go to a boost source from the intercooler piping or even on the compressor housing, then the top should go to the electric boost controller solenoid (each wastegate is different, so dont remember wich at the moment) and from the solenoid T into the line connected to the bottom port.

About the downpipe from experience DONT use locktight it turns into powder and actually loosen the bolts. I recommend using gasket maker on the flanges, and using some oil on the bolts when mounting them. Also if that does not fix them I would recommend you to weld a v-band flange on the turbo and change the dowpipe flange also, that what I did but used an adapter on the turbo side.

·
Registered
779 Posts
My problem is every time I get to 12psi my intercooler pipes blow apart. I am getting more t-bolt clamps this week and hopefully it will take care of it. I have my tial 38mm wastegate with a line on the bottom and the top.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know that the wastgate should not open at first but it does. And like i said once i get on the car boosting the wastgate works as it should perfect and never stays open again. So CFT said they think it is A bent valve becaue if it was hooked up wrong it would have done this since the begining.
What do you guys thing about lubing it up? If i spray some lube in thier it their the only place it will go it out the exaust. Im not talking a lot just a light spray.
I disconnected the wire to the boost controller solenoid and it didnt change it i guess i will try and just remove it all together and see if that does it.
As for the down pipe yeah the locktight does turn to a powder when i go to get it out. I guess that i will get some new bolts and lockwashers and not use locktight this time. The flange thing i dont know if that will work i have no room in in back of that motor for anything. I have a mig welder. What do you think about tacking the flange to the housing just a smal tack? I figure it will keep it together and it will not vibrate all the bolts loose.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
02celica said:
Your downpipe keeps on coming undone? stripped out maybe? :shrugs:
Nope, he just needs to use Copper nuts, they won't come off under high heat. I'm actually having the same issue right now. My manifold U-pipe that goes into the turbo blows a the gasket right out because the metal nuts can't handle the high heat and pressure.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
there is something wrong with that wastegate. the way its behaving is totally wrong

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok finally went under the car again. Found out it wasnt the waste gate. It was the exaust manifold comming loose so i guess when i started it up the hole was large so it sounded like open headers but then when it warms up the gasket expands and thats why it got quiet. So i tightened the bolts with the turbo bolted up but then when i was hooking up the down pipe one of the bolts broke in the turbo. So now i have to take the whole turbo out and tap out the bolt this really sucks. But i will give it a couple of weeks and get to work on it.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
my car is up and running, i just need to get either Matt (MWR) or JesseIL to come out here and we can tune the car. those 2 are the only ones i trust with the PFC. Im sure i could do the tuning myself, but i like having second opinions. 2 heads are better than one sometimes

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'm in the same boat Smaay. I have been up and running but just need tuning. I got my LM-1 in the mail the other day and I am gonna weld in the 02 bung tomorrow. Maybe this weekend I'll do some a/f tuning. I really wish I knew a good PFC tuner around here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.