NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to spend a couple grand this summer for my one-year anniversary with my 2000 Celica "Black & Blue" GT-S. I bought it used with everything I wanted from the stock options... manual transmission, carbon blue paint, five-spoke rims, sunroof, and leather seats. So far I've fixed the lift bolts, updated the belt tensioner, added an iPod connector, put in the '03 stock under-bumper grill, got genuine floor mats and trunk net.

It's time for some upgrades, don't ya think?

First, I want to get the Goodyear Gatorback Serpentine Belt ($35). Over the winter the stock belt, even on the new tensioner, had began squeaking again. I know nothing's wrong with the squeaky belt, it's just annoying as hell. Does this belt work best to reduce noise when damp or cold?

Second, I want my car to look nicer, but putting on a body-kit doesn't fair very well with the snow or the police. I'm looking into the GPF Lambo Door Kit ($600) to give it some 'flare' without risking anything while on the road. Are the Lambo doors still fairly practical for a daily-driver (keep in mind I'm 6'4), and is the GPF/TruMotorsports a good brand?

Third, an Injen CAI ($250). Heard Injen cold air intakes were the best and could help my car perform better. I'm not looking to do very much other engine modifications to my car though. Is the Injen CAI ideal for the set-up I'm going for, or is there a more suitable CAI?

Fourth, the bolt-on Magnaflow Exhaust System ($500). Free-flowing exhaust sounds nice and should help my engine breath better. TRD isn't free-flowing so I don't think I'd want one of them... Are there other exhaust systems I should look at?

Lastly, I want an Apexi Power FC ($700)! I've heard great things, and not-so great things about the chip. I would get professional tuning done afterwards to get the most out of all the upgrades. Is a Power FC a practical upgrade at this point?

I'm not looking for 'serious' boost to my Celica. I don't want to do any engine work to my car and a lightweight flywheel doesn't sound worth it. So if you have any comments or suggestions let me at it. All feed-back is appreciated!

Ps. Getting a 2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R 636 in Candy Plasma Blue soon. I won't need a terribly fast Celica when I got that thing. I think they'd look good together too! :)

·
Banned
9,353 Posts
1) The gatorback belt will pretty much never make a chirp, it's worth the money.

2) Lambo doors are not practical for a daily driver.

3) I would go with short ram intake, because with CAI you can hydrolock your motor.

4) I would look at invida, greddy, and TRD for exhaust systems.

5) Power FC is a waste of money at this point.

Nice choice on the bike I can't wait to get one...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like I should just save my money and get the bike earlier.

Next year my dad, two best friends, and I are buying a '94 Supra and dropping in some serious work to it. Rebuilding the engine and all that, hoping to get a 600-800whp beast on the road. That's why I don't want to go all-out on my Celica...

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
If you are getting a bike or something dont waste money on having any performance mods.

If i was you, i would drop it, get rims, tint the windows and throw in a good system.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Gatorback belt is a must! i'd go with that! Lambo doors are nice, not a fan but they still look nice on celicas. I'd so with an SRI, because of risk of hydrolocking...some people say you have to actually drive through a deep puddle to hydro your engine, but others say they hydroed it just by driving in the rain so to make things easier...get an SRI. plus they sound much more aggressive. Magnaflow is a good choice, TRD isn't so bad either. Look around and see what you like, get people's input. otherthan that, suspension is always a plus if you wanna think about that.

·
Registered
453 Posts
my aem cai has been through the worst rain and snow and ive never had a problem just dont get a cheap one ull end up paying more in the long run but as long as u dont drive over a huge puddle a cai is fine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.