NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard a lot of negative comments about these pullies(unorthodox racing). Are they really harmful to your engine? Anybody have these? I'm thinking of getting these but any opinions first?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,445 Posts
hmmmm.....I bought them but haven't gotten around to installing them yet...I sure hope they're not harmful. I don't know why they might be...

What did those people say specifically?
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
15,564 Posts
Oh for the love of God - do a search this has been argues to death like 1000 times.

We did a survey a while back and about half the people that reported using the UR crank pulley experienced a shattered oil pump or bottom end failure afterwards. Undampened crank pullies have been proven to cause accelerated bearing wear and bearing damage or failure countless times. If you want to use one use it for track only and put your normal pulley back on for the street.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,445 Posts
doh...wasn't a member when I bought the set...yah been a long time since I've had them...good thing too!!!

ok so should I assume the alternator pulley and the other pulley uh water pump? is ok to use?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,445 Posts
is there any way to get my money back from UR on the crank pulley?
well I'll be calling them first thing Monday morning.

this is crazy, this is what they have in their catalog:
"You can always count on the quality of our pulleys and timing rings to keep your vehicle running for years."

The S in "Ultra S" stands for "Street" and I don't think they mean "Street Tires Only" at the track.

Why did only half of the people report problems? What was different?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,603 Posts
QTRMLR_1 said:
is there any way to get my money back from UR on the crank pulley?
well I'll be calling them first thing Monday morning.

this is crazy, this is what they have in their catalog:
"You can always count on the quality of our pulleys and timing rings to keep your vehicle running for years."

The S in "Ultra S" stands for "Street" and I don't think they mean "Street Tires Only" at the track.

Why did only half of the people report problems? What was different?
because its possible the other half dont beat on their engine as much :gap:
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
15,564 Posts
QTRMLR_1 said:
is there any way to get my money back from UR on the crank pulley?
well I'll be calling them first thing Monday morning.

this is crazy, this is what they have in their catalog:
"You can always count on the quality of our pulleys and timing rings to keep your vehicle running for years."

The S in "Ultra S" stands for "Street" and I don't think they mean "Street Tires Only" at the track.

Why did only half of the people report problems? What was different?
A lot of it depends on driving habits and whatnot. The issue is undampened harmonics so it doesn't make much difference at the track seeing as how you only stay in any given rpm band for a very short time when drag racing - when on the street you tend to maintain certain RPMs for longer and accelerate slower, which gives the harmonics more time to act up and cause damage.

As for a refund from UR - Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,279 Posts
Boosted2.0 said:
Oh for the love of God - do a search this has been argues to death like 1000 times.

We did a survey a while back and about half the people that reported using the UR crank pulley experienced a shattered oil pump or bottom end failure afterwards. Undampened crank pullies have been proven to cause accelerated bearing wear and bearing damage or failure countless times. If you want to use one use it for track only and put your normal pulley back on for the street.
That's misinformation right there... it wasn't half... and it was very few..

It's like doing a survey about blown engines and misshifts... anymore who bother responding are more likely the ones who were affected.

There are more people with the pullies than you think - in the hundreds. It's more than likely that out of the hundred of people, some are bound to have blown engines possibly due to other reasons and blame it on the pullies... just like how this guy blame his blown engine on a faulty Prodrive oilpump.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,603 Posts
nyoneway said:
That's misinformation right there... it wasn't half... and it was very few..

It's like doing a survey about blown engines and misshifts... anymore who bother responding are more likely the ones who were affected.

There are more people with the pullies than you think - in the hundreds. It's more than likely that out of the hundred of people, some are bound to have blown engines possibly due to other reasons and blame it on the pullies... just like how this guy blame his blown engine on a faulty Prodrive oilpump.
I suggest you read a physics book on harmonics, you'll change your mind really quick.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
15,564 Posts
nyoneway said:
That's misinformation right there... it wasn't half... and it was very few..

It's like doing a survey about blown engines and misshifts... anymore who bother responding are more likely the ones who were affected.

There are more people with the pullies than you think - in the hundreds. It's more than likely that out of the hundred of people, some are bound to have blown engines possibly due to other reasons and blame it on the pullies... just like how this guy blame his blown engine on a faulty Prodrive oilpump.
bull - go search out the post - it was over 40% - which is very close to half

but like I said - he just needs to search - its been argued to death.

I will say this though - if he blows his engine are YOU going to pay for it???

edit: Found the thread:

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111107&highlight=undampened

Results of the survey at that time:

RUNNING TALLY

# of people with Pulley
UR 9
Other 1

#of oil pump failures
UR 4
Other 0

Failure Rate in this thread:
UR 4 of 9 - 44.4%
Other 0%

*************
Non separated Data
*************
# of undampened crank pulleys 10
# of oil pump failures 4
failure rate: 40%
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
15,564 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,279 Posts
Boosted2.0 said:
bull - go search out the post - it was over 40% - which is very close to half

but like I said - he just needs to search - its been argued to death.

I will say this though - if he blows his engine are YOU going to pay for it???
Searching:

http://newcelica.angrypacket.com/forums/poll.php?s=&action=showresults&pollid=829

Boosted2.0 said:
And your an ignorant fool - whose worse?

he experienced this first hand - yet you claim *he* doesn't know what hes talking about.
He experience engine failure. Can he prove it was the fault of the pullies?

Do you understand simple logic that:

1. Not all engine (oil pump, starvation) failures have aftermarket crank pullies.

2. Not all engines with aftermarket crank pullies experiences failure.

What kind of conclusion can you draw? None.

Want first hand experience? I have my UO pullies for more than 35k hard driven mile on a engine that's seen over 100k miles. So why haven't my engine fail yet?
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
15,564 Posts
nyoneway said:
Searching:

http://newcelica.angrypacket.com/forums/poll.php?s=&action=showresults&pollid=829



He experience engine failure. Can he prove it was the fault of the pullies?

Do you understand simple logic that:

1. Not all engine (oil pump, starvation) failures have aftermarket crank pullies.

2. Not all engines with aftermarket crank pullies experiences failure.

What kind of conclusion can you draw? None.

Want first hand experience? I have my UO pullies for more than 35k hard driven mile on a engine that's seen over 100k miles. So why haven't my engine fail yet?
Thats not logic, thats just you having false hopes.

He experienced an oil pump failure under normal driving with proper oil level and viscosity at 6000 RPM. EVERY other non pulley related oil pump failure has been directly linked to either low oil level, over-rev, or pump cavitation due to high G cornering. In illusives case and in the cases of many other people with the same failure its just a bizzare failure under normal driving that doesn't make any sense unless you consider harmonics as the likely cause.


If you want more proof pull your oil pump and main bearings and inspect them - you will see all the proof you need.

also for the record - an engine being driven hard is less likely to have a harmonics related failure than one that is cruising or accelerating slowly through a given problem rpm point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,279 Posts
Boosted2.0 said:


If you want more proof pull your oil pump and main bearings and inspect them - you will see all the proof you need
Actually I did.

It was done 5k miles ago at the dealership when they did the TSB for broken lift bolts and tuneup/service.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
15,564 Posts
nyoneway said:
Actually I did.

It was done 5k miles ago at the dealership when they did the TSB for broken lift bolts and tuneup/service.
Really? Got pics to prove it?

You have to drop the motor and split the case to check main bearings bro - they haven't been checked unless you paid an extra $1000 or so.

They probably also didn't pull your oil pump, as you have to remove the entire timing chain cover and then the oil pump, and then you have to split the pump housing. You might have asked them to check it and they might have said it looked okay, but I doubt it actually got checked seeing as how none of this needs to happen for the broken lift bolt TSB.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,784 Posts
Originally posted by nyoneway
Actually I did.

It was done 5k miles ago at the dealership when they did the TSB for broken lift bolts and tuneup/service.
thats weird.......they had to take appart your bottom end to get to the lift bolts that are in the head?
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top