NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my RPS Max clutch installed a long with the MWR Flywheel and I just got a call from the install and they said the clutch is in but will not engage and the car will not move. Everything else looks to be fine but it just wont engage. Does anyone have a clue what this could be. I am confused because this is the best shop and has done numerous vehicles with awesome work and the clutch is made from one of the best companies out there and from MonkeyWrenchRacing who is very specific to toyotas. I dont see what could have gotten messed up here. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated because the way it looks now they are going to have to reinstall my oem clutch and will cost me about 600 dollars total. And I am back to square one with my stock clutch. I need my car by Wednesday morning so I cant have it sit and wait for a new clutch to come in so does anyone have any idea what I could try. Thanks for any help you guys could be.

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
They must have messed something up with the install IF the clutch and PP are correct.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the company that did the install thought something could be wrong with the pressure plate. Would could be wrong with it? Just a faulty part. I am trying to get MWR to send a new clutch to see if that will fix the problem.

·
Registered
755 Posts
The car will start, but it won't move? I had the same problem when I changed out my clutch...seems that when I pulled the CV joints, the axle itself popped apart inside one of the boots. Power followed the path of least resistance and went to the axle not connected to anything. Popped the axle back together and away I went :)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
as a last resort, if the pressure plate and clutch come out fine, it's their fault and don't you pay them anything for install. Not a penny.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there even much of a chance that a company that is specific to installing clutches day in day out actually did anything wrong or is it most likely the pressure plate like they are saying.

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
Originally posted by Blk03Corolla
Is there even much of a chance that a company that is specific to installing clutches day in day out actually did anything wrong or is it most likely the pressure plate like they are saying.
They did something wrong or its the Wrong PP.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
1. you're sure you ordered the right clutch disc/pressure plate combo from MWR, and that he sent you the right stuff, right?

2. I haven't heard of an RPS clutch or pressure plate ever being bad, but no one's perfect and there's always a first time. If the clutch/pp is defective you shouldn't have to pay extra labor because RPS messed up, even though you ordered it. Hold RPS responsible.

3. If all the shop does is install clutches, they should have noticed something is not right when they put the pressure plate onto the flywheel, clamping the clutch down. You could hold them partially responsible and not pay them any more than your original agreed upon price on the install.

4. For some reason the clutch is not touching the flywheel (as we all know). It could be bad diaphragm springs on the pressure plate, but not likely. Maybe the shop installed the clutch the wrong way. Maybe they did not follow manufacturer specs and torque the pressure plate bolts to 14 ft-lbs. Did they resurface the flywheel? Maybe they messed up and took off too much and now there is no contact between the flywheel and the clutch friction surface.

all I can think of right now...
If it's the right clutch for your car, more likely it's their fault.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I agree

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
I just have a hard time believing that anyone with half a brain would actually install a clutch that was not being firmly clamped down by the pressure plate in a car. It would take a total and utter lack of understanding of how a clutch works to think that would be OK.. somehow I think they myst have installed it wrong.

·
Registered
990 Posts
He said he got a new flywheel from mwr soo they shouldn't have been resurfasing it

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea there was no resurfacing needed. From talking to a few people the flaw on the pp could be so minimal it would be hard to catch by the eye but it would not be able to operate correctly. I guess it will be a process of elimination from here. MWR is going to overnight another clutch out and charge me for it and then refund the first clutch if that was the problem. So we will see. Like i said I would be extreamly surprised if the shop did something wrong but anything is posible. If the 2nd clutch doesnt work we know its their fault and they will have to figure that out.

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
Originally posted by Blk03Corolla
yea there was no resurfacing needed. From talking to a few people the flaw on the pp could be so minimal it would be hard to catch by the eye but it would not be able to operate correctly. I guess it will be a process of elimination from here. MWR is going to overnight another clutch out and charge me for it and then refund the first clutch if that was the problem. So we will see. Like i said I would be extreamly surprised if the shop did something wrong but anything is posible. If the 2nd clutch doesnt work we know its their fault and they will have to figure that out.
Well if they install the clutch correctly the 2nd time then it could have still been their fault and not the parts.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But if they dont change how they did anything then I would say the percentages would point to a faulty product. if they do it differently then it could of been an incorrect install

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
they might be doing a lot of clutches, but for some reason I don't trust them. That doesn't sound right how the defect on the pressure plate is so minimal, yet the car doesn't move at all. Are they saying the diaphagm springs are too weak to press the clutch to the flywheel? Talking about friction surfaces and contact: Even on a clutch that is 90% gone, the car will still move. My car right now is proof and that's how it was on my stock clutch. How could the pressure plate not clamp the clutch down enough so it wouldn't move???

I agree with MicaCeli. If it works this time, it still doesn't tell you if the clutch/pp was bad or not, until you get the clutch/pp inspected by a professional. Are they going to make you pay more for another clutch install? Are they trying to cheat you b/c they see you have a Celica and they think you have the money? Just be careful man. I don't know how much you know about clutches/pp, but I would examine their install. They might not let you if they are truly cheating you though, or maybe they are anal about the insurance rule about no customers in the shop. However some shops will allow customers if they are supervised of course so it's all up to them.

I have too much experience with shops trying to cheat me. They just get a brick through their window is what they get, just kidding.

Pay attention on the dissasembly if the pressure plate firmly clamps the clutch to the flywheel.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They arent going to charge me for it so I know they arent trying to cheat me. I just hope MWR will refund my money if the 2nd clutch works fine because I had to order another one. It is being overnighted so will be at the shop tomorrow. I will let you guys know the outcome. I may not be presenting all the necesary information due to my lack of knowledge on clutches but I just hope the second clutch comes out working. If not then I am going to be one pissed off customer.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just thought I would let you all know I just got a phone call and my car is running and all good with the 2nd clutch. I do have to say great service to both Clutch Doctors and MWR I just hope MWR will now refund the 1st clutch. They overnighted the 2nd clutch and we got this whole situation resolved very quickly. So Matt if you read this. THANKS!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts