NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using synthetic oil since i bought the car and my car is running like new and i have been racing it a lot. Synthetic makes a big difference. Some people say that you might even gain few hp(dont know how true that is but you notice a difference).

·
Registered
493 Posts
i am switching to synthetic for first time tommorow...bought mobil 1. since now i was using whatever the dealer put, but after i asked them what kind of oil they used and said that was not even partially synthetic i was pissed off...no wonder car would consume like 1/2 liter every 2000 miles.

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
AMSOIIL is recommended for 25,000 to 35,000 miles. Where on a Mobil 1 bottle does Mobil claim this? That's the saving with AMSOIL. Your going to change yor oil about 4 or 5 times using Mobil 1, while someone running AMSOIL is still on their first oil change.

Also if your a preferred customer your able to buy AMSOIL at dealer cost. This is a huge savings as well.

http://www.twocom.com/high_performance_synthetics/The_AMSOIL_Preferred_Customer_Program.htm

·
Registered
425 Posts
I asked the dealer to put in sythetic for me. They charged me an extra $22 for it (like $7 a quart), so from now on I'm bringing them my own oil to have them use. Walmart used to sell Mobil 1 in 5 quart jugs for like $15, wonder if they still do.

Personally I'd never dare go much more then 5k miles without an oil change, and even at that I'd be using synthetic. The blow by and other junk that gets into your oil will make up half your oil after 20k miles. Just not a good idea.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I change my Durango once a year witha 6 month filter change with Amsoil 0w30. I also changed the oil every 25k in my Honda Civic. I had about 250k when I sold the car. The person I sold the car to was a Honda mechanic that almost crapped when I told him of the extended drain intervals and he insisted I let him tear down the engine to a minimal degree so that he can see how much damage I caused by doing extended drain intervals. Engine was virtually new. He now uses Amsoil in all of his vehicles. In my Maxima, I've been doing 5k intervals until I reach 30k. At that time I'll be doing 15k drain intervals. Maxima.org has a huge spreadsheet of numerous oils and Amsoil is the only oil that holds up in long drain intervals. All oils in the spreadsheet were tested by either Blackstone Labs or Oil Analyzers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also use the series 2000 0W-30 and do the recommended 35,000 miles or one year oil changes. My vehicle has around 30,000 miles on it now and I have only done 3 oil changes in it's entire life.

One at 500 miles. Another at 1000 miles. Then switched to AMSOIL Series 2000 0W-30 at 3,000. I did a oil analysis around the 12,000 mile mark and the oil was in good condition and was told it was safe to continue to use it.

I save a butt load of money on oil changes and my mileaged improved 1 to 2%. It's not much of a fuel economy improvement but it is over the course of a year.

If anyone would like a free AMSOIL product catalog e-mail me.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
My conscious won't allow me to leave oil in my car for longer than 3k, so that's why I use mobile 1. Every 3k when I change the oil, I notice a big difference, if I didn't notice as much of a difference then I would leave it in longer.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I am changing to synthetic next oil change. Is 0W-30 the recommended synthetic for our cars? I didnt know that they rated them differently than regular oil. I also can't leave my oil in for more than about 4,000 miles and that really pushing it, i prefer about 3,000. I accidentaly went 6,000 with my oil once...but i told the car i wouldn't do that to her again. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
its been almost 5k miles since i bought my car and the oil they put in it (whatever toyota uses) still looks really clean. If i didnt have an odometer i would say that the car could easily go another 2k

1 - 20 of 20 Posts