NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intro:
Last night I was doing some turns in a parking lot with a buddy of mine, and while doing a max-skid-g figure 8 around a lamp post, my car threw a CEL. The only thing i could imagine it being from is from oil starvation (and i can't believe that it happened because i'm topped off with royal purple right now...) anyways i stupidly ignored the CEL and when I did a red line run to lift in a straight line, the car started to make a funny noise. I never misshifted, btw (or at least not that i know of...)

Problem: At idle, there is no abnormal noise from the block. At above 2000 rpm, whether it is under load or in neutral, there is a chattering/clanking/clicking noise coming from the engine block. I was able to drive the car back about 4 miles to my house by keeping the revs under 2000 at all times (at least i got some gnarly gas milage over those 4 miles :D)

Spun rod bearing or something in the valve train? The actual rod isn't toast yet at the car still runs fine at idle, so i'm hoping it's just the bearing cause i've heard they're easy to replace!

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
The mains rarely ever go bad on the 2ZZ so I'm more inclined to think spun rod bearing. The thing that's bugging however is the CEL. I have spun rod bearings to oblivion 3 times and never ever got a CEL.

Get the code and report back.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First off, thanks for the help so far, and TRD27, I'm not sure whether the sound gets louder but it certainly increases in frequency as the revs rise (naturally...)

Alright, I got the codes pulled courtesy of a 40 dollar scanner from HarborFfreight (great store, btw)

P1693 - VVT OCV problem
P0440 - Evap problem

Lets ignore the evap for now.
The way I see it, there are two possible problems here:
1) Oil starvation. I checked the oil in the morning and it was stupidly below the minimum line (max it was at was half way up the corkscrew in the dipstick). I cannot believe I didn't check the oil before going out and pushing the car... Anyways, if thats the case, the CEL could be there saying that there is no oil in the VVT OCV or VVL OCV, and ON TOP OF THAT, I probably spun a rod bearing too due to oil starvation
2) (hopefully it's this one) Something is wrong with the vvt or vvl ocv.

What are your thoughts? I'm guessing a bad VVT system could cause some chatter?

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
These engines don't like running low on oil. You most likely spun a bearing. P1693 is a Lift-specific (VVTL) code that could very well have been triggered by running low (relates to the oil pressure switch on the lift OCV housing).

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, what would your plan of action be? Also, my question still stands: would a P1693 from the VVL/Lift OCV (my VVT OCV looks fine) cause a chattering noise during any form of engine acceleration?

Also, if it's a spun rod bearing, where should I start?

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
If it's a spun rod bearing you should start by dropping the pan, remove the oil baffle and remove the big ends one by one and inspect the bearings.

The chattering noises and the P1693 probably have the low oil pressure in common, can't say if both are directly related to each other or two sepparate things. The moving parts of the valvetrain all get their oil supply from different areas such as the cams, rockers and valvecover sprayers. It's hard to tell which area specifically is causing the chattering.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright I'm going to drop the pan today, thanks GSB! Anyways, one final question: If I topped the car off on oil and then unplugged the VVT and VVL OCVs, would the noise persist? Should it not go away?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I pulled the codes again today to see if anything was new, and to my surprise there was something: P1656. But I think this is because I was screwing with my VVT OCV yesterday and I switched the +/- leads (mine are hotwired, the connector plug broke off :() So anyways I went ahead and cleared all 3 codes (p1656, p1693, p0440). I'm going to try and see if they come back. I'm really doubting the P1693 will come back, because if my hunch is correct, it only came on during my high g turn when it got starved for oil since it was low; now that it is topped off again and sitting still im hoping it doesn't pop up.

how long/what should i do to try and get the code to come back up? just turn the engine on and let it idle?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm through the oil pan now and i'm trying to get the fvcking rod cap ends off, but the bolts are not hex bolts, they are more like 12 sided bolts....I'm using a 13mm socket on it right now, but they are toorqued on so tightly that even the fairly snug fit of the 13mm is skipping (and shredding!) the bolts. is there an SST or a special socket that i'm supposed to be using?!?!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.