NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mechanic says I have a valve lifter knocking. I'm not so strong in this part of the motor so I'm wondering how serious is this? He says It can't really do any damage but to my understanding, any knock is bad right?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, is this something I can replace on my own? And where can I order these? I've found them on toyotapartscenter.net but nowhere else. Any help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
ive never torn apart my engine yet.... but from when i did my eclipse engine it was super easy. also replaced my valve seals while i was at it as well. if you do, do it make sure you soak the lifters in oil for quite some time. i put them in bucket of a bit of oil. worked them a bit and let them soak for 24 hours just to be extra safe. but thats what ive done. hopefully someone who has will chime in.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
this is normal, the celica valve train is very noisy, especially the GT-S. you can not but an individual rocker, they only come in a kit with all 4 rockers and a new camshaft. its about 300 bucks. read the sticky on checking valve clearances, if you are good, just leave it alone and live with it

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Mine has a slight rumble type of sound at only 3500 rpm! Haven't even looked at it yet, hopefully nothing is going out, I am not replacing the engine yet this year.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, the mechanic said all I have to replace is the actual valve lifter? they're sold seperately for 15.00 a piece? is this not what I need?

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
you need to check the clearance. And from there see which size you need to buy according to how far it is from spec.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
shimms are 15 bucks a piece or so. those go between the valve and the cam in the GT. rockers are only on the GT-S and you can not buy those seperatly, you need to buy the kit, 4 rockers and a camshaft. get them from the dealer

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
ok, we have a dual overhead cam, meaning there are no lifters in the head. the shimm is a small cup that sits over the valve spring with a set thickness to make the proper valve clearances.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts