NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered my VDC from www.carexcess.com . It was painfull spending that kind of money, but I am excited as hell about it getting here.
*Note - Unlike Will's conversion, the hinge isn't cut, it is added to. It comes with complete detailed (pics included) installation instructions and you don't need to remove the front clip to install it.

*2nd Note - The first note was NOT a poke at the shop that Will got his done at, their craftmanship, or their innovation. I only posted it to explain the difference.

Will, thanks so much for getting me off my a$$ to go and get this done. Bill and I have been BS'ing about this for quite some time now and you have put me over the "hump" on it.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
yes, after seeing wills doors last night, i MUST get this done...

this will be the first thing put on the credit card

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
_J, I just talked to Mark....he said something that makes sense to me and I thought I'd pass it along.

Cutting the hinge is better than adding on to it...Cutting, you not weakening the hinge in points of stress...Carexess is adding to it so it works w/ all 4 holes instead of 2....Those points take on alot of stress when opening...By adding to those points, it's weakening the hinge because welds CAN break. Just be careful man

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PhatCellyGT said:
_J, I just talked to Mark....he said something that makes sense to me and I thought I'd pass it along.

Cutting the hinge is better than adding on to it...Cutting, you not weakening the hinge in points of stress...Carexess is adding to it so it works w/ all 4 holes instead of 2....Those points take on alot of stress when opening...By adding to those points, it's weakening the hinge because welds CAN break. Just be careful man
I spoke to Decah about this and they say that Carexcess is the only shop doing this for Celicas that they will honor the warranty for. They say that cutting the hinge will weaken it over time (due to the 100lbs of stress) and may become brittle in time. I don't know, man. I'm going to go with the manufacturers suggestion. When I get mine done (hopefully Friday), we'll compare 'em and see what the real diferences are. I can't wait to see your paint job!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.