NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I drained my coolant when installing my supercharger. I F'ed up putting it back in and didn't elevate the front of the car or the coolant bottle. I didn't know better, but I will from now on.

So anyway my car started overheating and I was like WTF mate so I opened up the coolant bottle and let some air out. Drove it back home, jacked the front end up, turned the heat on high, massaged the hoses and let her run to get some air out. Well my temp gauge just went up and started blinking so I shut her down.

I don't know the correct terms, but the coolant hoses going into the engine were hot as a bear, and the ones returning back to the radiator were cold. Also the heater did not even blow warm air, much less hot air.

So...I got air in my coolant and it F'ed up my thermostat?

And uh...where is it? I'm guessing it's in this area that I circled underneath my blower shaft. I followed the hot coolant hose to this metal bulb shaped thing with two bolts on it, and then the cold coolant hose runs out of it. Sorry for being ignorant..

Also...anyone know how much a new thermostat is? and how much coolant our cars take?

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
yes your thermostas is under there. and your car is behaving exactly how it should with air in the system. keep doing the same thing, jack up the front of the car. and on the resivoir keep filling it with fluid and opening and closing the breather valve. also massage the hoses. the thermostat is probally just fine...this is VERY VERY common.!!! just keep bleeding

·
Registered
473 Posts
Ahhh so thats where the thermostat is. Well that will be fun changing eventually~ knock on wood.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Smaay said:
yes your thermostas is under there. and your car is behaving exactly how it should with air in the system. keep doing the same thing, jack up the front of the car. and on the resivoir keep filling it with fluid and opening and closing the breather valve. also massage the hoses. the thermostat is probally just fine...this is VERY VERY common.!!! just keep bleeding
So you think that it could STILL be air in the system? I had my car jacked up as high as I could in the front with the car running and the heater on and was massaging the hoses but I couldn't notice any air coming out at the end of the day...and the two main sending and return hoses were drastically different temps. You think if I raise up my coolant bottle while I'm doing all this that THAT could make the difference? I don't know how easy it is to burn out a thermo but that's what some other guys I know seemed to think it was.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Definitely have to raise the bottle too. Even if you jack up your front as high as you can, the bottle will still hang lower than the heater hoses if left in it's original place.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright problem solved. Went to toyota and bought a new thermostat $16.66 and gasket $4.05. I jacked the car up, drained the coolant again, installed the new thermostat (the old one was in fact, bad). Then I reconnect all the hoses, pulled up the coolant tank as much as possible, and slowly filled the coolant while pumping upper and lower coolant hoses. After it stopped taking coolant I started up the car with the heater on high and continued to pump the lines. After it took no more coolant I let the car back down, and took it for a drive, pulling over and checking every 3-5 mins...and adding more coolant as needed. After about 10 mins of driving my heater finally started to get hot, and at that point needed to add a good amount more of coolant.

Problem solved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts