NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

I just recently mounted an xbox in my glove box, using custom mounting hardware including: dual CPU fans to aid in cooling and a 750 watt power inverter. Upon completing the installation, I turned on the apparatus and got "snow" on my Sony Xplod in-dash monitor (along with an otherwise properly working video input). The snow could be described as a fuzzy picture, along with horizontal jagged lines scrolling up the screen at one inch or so intervals. I checked the input when the inverter was turned off and no static was produced on the input screen. Assuming the snow is caused by the inverter, what could have lead to the snowy picture? Is some type of filter needed to prevent interference? Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,527 Posts
kart_racer3 said:
The snow could be described as a fuzzy picture, along with horizontal jagged lines scrolling up the screen at one inch or so intervals. I checked the input when the inverter was turned off and no static was produced on the input screen. Assuming the snow is caused by the inverter, what could have lead to the snowy picture? Is some type of filter needed to prevent interference? Any input is greatly appreciated.
"snow" sounds like 60Hz noise...possibly High Voltage noise...
or: you have a ground loop...or noise from the inverter is getting into the car's 12VDC system. Any whine in the audio?

probably need a pure sine wave inverter... with good filtering...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No the audio quality is fine, as there is no noticable whine in the audio output. I'm sorry but I am not familiar with a pure sine wave inverter, or with a ground loop.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,527 Posts
It is very common for inverters to be of the square wave type vs. a true sine wave... good enough to run lamps, tools, etc.. but for some frequency sensitive equipment... square waves can cause a variety of headaches.

I'm a bit busy getting ready for a meet... do an online search for those terms to gather some info.. then either I or someone else can assist you further.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts