NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem doing the vinyl dye

I sanded it down with 600 grit, cleaned it off with dawn, then heated it with a hair dryer. Then with the DupliColor flat black I tried painting it and after a little bit of drying the color would fade almost to that of the color of the original plastic. What am I doing wrong ?

·
O.G. Original Gluesniffer
8,944 Posts
Did you shake the can well? Are you painting outside where the temp may be too cold for the paint to atomize properly? Have you tried a different can of paint to see if you got a defective can? Other than those troubleshooters, I don't have a clue. I didn't experience that problem.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I only had that problem on two panels and it was due to the temperature going down, and not enough dye on the particular part... aka not enough coats.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did paint it outside but Im in FLORIDA so how could that happen! Ahhh I hate running into problems

Also because this is a dye is it different than paint. Like do I just put one coat one day and then when its completely dry to the second coat ?

·
O.G. Original Gluesniffer
8,944 Posts
The paint could possibly be having problems with the humidity, but I don't know the exact weather conditions where you are to be sure. All I know is it needs to be at least 60 Degrees F outside.

At any rate, you don't have to wait an entire day between coats, just make sure the coat you lay down is dry to the touch before you add another coat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts