NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, after seeing how tight bOx's job was, I've decided the big project of my upcoming Spring Break will be to vinyl dye my engine plastics. I've already got the materials and everything needed. I have one question though to any of you who may have an opinion, or who have done this before on the engine plastics. I was reading through the following link on vinyl dyeing computer towers and on the second page it says that if applying the dye to dark colors (like the black of our engine plastics) you should do an "under-dye" coat of white first. Here's the link to that page and tell me if you think the under coat is necessary.

http://www.gideontech.com/guides/vinyldye/index02.shtml

Any opinions ASAP is greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks,
aerospike2002

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Just a thought, but I am not sure how hot you can get the dye either, you might want to test a piece out in the oven or something. Its gets mighty hot under the hood in the summer, and on long drives. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Go to my post in box's thread, there is a picture of my engine plastics. I didnt have to do anything special with that. Just sanded, cleaned, dryed, and sprayed. Worked just fine. It also holds up to the heat really well. Its really easy to do. What color are you doing you plastics in?

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hehe....probably the classic red, but maybe blue. thanks for all the opinions guys....i've got a lot of good PM's about it too and have the entire process down cold now. looks like i'll be having a fun spring break!

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys....but that still doesn't really answer my question. Ok, I'm assured that it will stand up fine under engine heat conditions. However, should I do an "undercoat" of white first before I do red? I need an answer please....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts