NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The only areas that were oily wet (besides that spot shown) was an area around the oil pan where the white gasket is, on both portions above and under the gasket seam. Possibly unrelated unless the oil traveled around the lip over time. I cleaned this area up prior to taking the pictures linked below.

The entire transmission is badly covered in oil/gunk but it wasn't slick/shiny as if it was fresh. No where else in the entire engine bay was nearly as bad as the transmission.

The interior of the trans case was coated in a dry black gunk that clumped a little when steel brushing the area clean.

Maybe that is normal at 200k+ miles?

Here is a link to the areas I was talking about, the trans is only wet because I sprayed simple green all over it prior to taking the pics.

image album of the above mentioned items

I ended up ordering the seal just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
All looks fairly normal. To pull the seal drill a small hole in the metal part of the old one and screw in a sheet metal screw, then use a claw hammer to pull the seal up so you can get something under it and walk it out. Install the new seal a hair deeper or shallower than the old one so it rides on a fresh spot on the crankshaft. Pack the back side of the seal with vasaline or silicone grease so the spring doesn't bounce out when driving it in.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips on install.

Is it possible to do damage on this seal when removing the trans from the engine? If so, I have the following report of what happened during the removal:

With engine connected to passenger mount & resting on the center cross member --

Had to jack the trans up quite a bit at times in order to make it rotate counter clockwise to clear the rear mount. Once removed, the pressure plate and flywheel didn't rotate very easily by hand. It felt like I could spin it only so far in either direction when using my hands. Normal?

It rotated fairly easy when trying to use the breaker bar on the nuts, enough that I needed to use a block of wood to stop the flywheel from spinning when removing it's bolts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.