NewCelica.org Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OCV Strainer Cleaning Guide (vvt-i & vvtl-i)

I have a day of today (Flagday here) so I decided to make this thread about the Oil Control Valves=OCV.
Most of you know already but for those who don't:
The 1ZZ-FE engine in the GT has variable valve timing only, or VVT-i.
The 2ZZ-GE engine in the GT-S has variable valve timing AND lift, or VVTL-i.
Consequently GT has one OCV, GT-S has two OCVs.

First the Timing OCV:
This is its location on the head of a 2ZZ, more or less the same location on a 1ZZ.

This is how it looks like.

To help keep particles out, the OCV has a metal mesh strainer to filter the oil going to it. This is its location:Behind that bolt in this pic.

If you remove that bolt the strainer is located in that hole, but this one doesn't have it as I used it in my engine and the old one fell and got lost.

As part of regular maintenance I would recommend cleaning the strainer every 30k. It is a pain to get to if you don't remove the alternator so plan it to do so when you change your drivebelt.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now the Lift OCV

The Lift OCV and housing is located on the battery side of the head. To get to it it's wise to remove the battery, move the ECU aside and temporarily disconnect the hoses that run from the intake manifold to the valvecover.

This is the GT-S head with Lift OCV location:

Here's a close-up.

The OCV housing. The two bolts in this pic are where the groundwires go.

This is what you see when you remove the housing:

For those who wonder, the dirty electrical connector below the housing is the Coolant Temperature Sensor.

Just like the timing OCV, the Lift OCV also has a strainer. And in case someone is wondering, the timing and lift strainers are not interchangeable, neither are the OCVs on certain model years, I don't remember which though. I think the timing OCV has a slightly longer shaft also.
Here's the Lift strainer:

As part of regular maintenance clean these components also, both OCV housing and strainer.

Enjoy!

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,685 Posts
Sticky for GSBoek!
If ya change your oil frequently... you'll probably never have to clean them;)

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
horray for flag day cuz if theres no flag day he wouldnt have cleaned his OCVs lol. Good Job

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Washed it with diesel. It helps if you have a soft paintbrush too.

·
Registered
312 Posts
wait so if i got that noise theres nothing wrong? i always thought i had a valve knock in my GT. so if i clean that will it run smoother?and the clacking noise go away? and the diesel.is that a cleaning agent or are you talkin bout the gas?

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
keosking said:
has anyone noticed any changes in performance after doing this?
In performance there was no notable change, however the engine was delivering the power notably smoother in the lower rpm ranges up to 3.5K rpm. This could be attributed to a better oilsupply to the OCV/VVT-i sprocket.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Lo_Pro_Life said:
wait so if i got that noise theres nothing wrong? i always thought i had a valve knock in my GT. so if i clean that will it run smoother?and the clacking noise go away? and the diesel.is that a cleaning agent or are you talkin bout the gas?
Technically any noise that is so apparent is an indication of wear or slack or clearance issues in an engine. The engine might otherwise run well but it's hard to tell really what the longterm effects could be. I have been over this literally countless times, and all the bits help a little but don't eliminate the noise completely. When I cleaned that strainers it was the single most notable improvement in both noise supression and engine smoothness.

Edit: Diesel is the cleaning agent yes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
this looks like an upcoming project...thanks for the write up... :bowdown:

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
could you use masf cleaner(electrical cleaner) stuff becasue i am too lazy to go get diesel ;) and is there any harm in leaving that plug in the video off as it made it that much quieter?

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MAF cleaner should do it just fine. As far as driving with the plug off, the car will drive, but you ain't gonna have VVT-i adjustment anymore.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.