NewCelica.org Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

VVT-i & VVTL-i OCV Screen Cleaning Guide

175K views 49 replies 36 participants last post by  JarredLes 
#1 ·
OCV Strainer Cleaning Guide (vvt-i & vvtl-i)

I have a day of today (Flagday here) so I decided to make this thread about the Oil Control Valves=OCV.
Most of you know already but for those who don't:
The 1ZZ-FE engine in the GT has variable valve timing only, or VVT-i.
The 2ZZ-GE engine in the GT-S has variable valve timing AND lift, or VVTL-i.
Consequently GT has one OCV, GT-S has two OCVs.

First the Timing OCV:
This is its location on the head of a 2ZZ, more or less the same location on a 1ZZ.

This is how it looks like.

To help keep particles out, the OCV has a metal mesh strainer to filter the oil going to it. This is its location:Behind that bolt in this pic.

If you remove that bolt the strainer is located in that hole, but this one doesn't have it as I used it in my engine and the old one fell and got lost.

As part of regular maintenance I would recommend cleaning the strainer every 30k. It is a pain to get to if you don't remove the alternator so plan it to do so when you change your drivebelt.

See less See more
#3 ·
Now the Lift OCV

The Lift OCV and housing is located on the battery side of the head. To get to it it's wise to remove the battery, move the ECU aside and temporarily disconnect the hoses that run from the intake manifold to the valvecover.

This is the GT-S head with Lift OCV location:

Here's a close-up.

The OCV housing. The two bolts in this pic are where the groundwires go.

This is what you see when you remove the housing:

For those who wonder, the dirty electrical connector below the housing is the Coolant Temperature Sensor.

Just like the timing OCV, the Lift OCV also has a strainer. And in case someone is wondering, the timing and lift strainers are not interchangeable, neither are the OCVs on certain model years, I don't remember which though. I think the timing OCV has a slightly longer shaft also.
Here's the Lift strainer:

As part of regular maintenance clean these components also, both OCV housing and strainer.

Enjoy!

#6 ·
Sticky for GSBoek!
If ya change your oil frequently... you'll probably never have to clean them;)

#16 ·
keosking said:
has anyone noticed any changes in performance after doing this?
In performance there was no notable change, however the engine was delivering the power notably smoother in the lower rpm ranges up to 3.5K rpm. This could be attributed to a better oilsupply to the OCV/VVT-i sprocket.

#17 · (Edited)
Lo_Pro_Life said:
wait so if i got that noise theres nothing wrong? i always thought i had a valve knock in my GT. so if i clean that will it run smoother?and the clacking noise go away? and the diesel.is that a cleaning agent or are you talkin bout the gas?
Technically any noise that is so apparent is an indication of wear or slack or clearance issues in an engine. The engine might otherwise run well but it's hard to tell really what the longterm effects could be. I have been over this literally countless times, and all the bits help a little but don't eliminate the noise completely. When I cleaned that strainers it was the single most notable improvement in both noise supression and engine smoothness.

Edit: Diesel is the cleaning agent yes.

#18 ·
this looks like an upcoming project...thanks for the write up... :bowdown:

#25 ·
nice

very nice detail, i have this problem its shooting out the p1693 code, and my lift isnt working, BUT it works sometimes, sometimes i try it and it goes tatatata, like its misfiring, or fuel cut off, u know? and the dealer wants to charge me 405 for the fix, 140 for parts, 300 for labor, now i have nothing close to 400, im in debt actually, cuz ive borrowed some money here and there, so i cant fix this problem at the dealer. so i was thinking of maybe checking the ocv screen, since it works off and on... but, im scared that i might not be able to put back the stuff together...HELP?

#36 ·
I am having the same problem.

very nice detail, i have this problem its shooting out the p1693 code, and my lift isnt working, BUT it works sometimes, sometimes i try it and it goes tatatata, like its misfiring, or fuel cut off, u know? and the dealer wants to charge me 405 for the fix, 140 for cars parts, 300 for labor, now i have nothing close to 400, im in debt actually, cuz ive borrowed some money here and there, so i cant fix this problem at the dealer. so i was thinking of maybe checking the ocv screen, since it works off and on... but, im scared that i might not be able to put tires back the stuff together...HELP?

#26 ·
replaced my Lift OCV today

I’ve been doing all sorts of Engine work lately…there’s a Thread in the Repair Forum

Anyhow, to the Member above, the LIFT side is fairly easy…if you’ve ever token out your Battery, it should make it that much less strenuous…also, if you don’t have a Strut Tower Brace like me, it will make it a lot better…Optima Batteries and bigger batteries usually are a pain w/the Celica

Next, I’ve got a Ground Wire kit and while retightening everything, one of the Bolts broke...guess its getting old but now gotta drill that Bolt out

Thankfully the ground wire is actually two so just regrounded it to the one above

Other than that, mine was actually very clean, not like the pic above even w/almost 100K on it…I’m lucky and since day one, my Celica has performed very well

Anyhow, I would suggest if its your 1st time working around the Engine, take your time w/it
Its basically:
3 long bolts
2 nuts
And maybe another bolt here or there…what I do it when I take the bolts off, I put them in the shape of how it would look, this may help you out too

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.