NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the nearest RPM. you can set a VVTL-I controller... I hate that late 6,000.. Those Vtec's seem so versitile... torque to hp/ weight ratio is an ultimate match for that B18c5 by the way, what are the types "brands" of VVTL-i controllers are out there? can I use the PowerFC?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
You wouldn't want to move the lift engagement. With it dropped to 5950, even with the VVT retuned to suit, the lift hits like a kitten batting at a ball of yarn. Going lower actually causes a power drop when power hits. 6k is about ideal. Now, for the people with 6200 changeover, dropping it to 6k with the PFC (with the necessary VVT changes) is an improvement.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks.. for the input!!! I guess I'll be buyin' a nitrous/ Turbo kit to compensate the lift... I do believe what Matt said about losing power a little bit below the rpm change over point. as I tryied useing a Vtec' controller on an h22 and we dyno'd the thing and no use* the power band wasn't that great. Thanks anyways!

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
monkeywrench said:
You wouldn't want to move the lift engagement. With it dropped to 5950, even with the VVT retuned to suit, the lift hits like a kitten batting at a ball of yarn. Going lower actually causes a power drop when power hits. 6k is about ideal. Now, for the people with 6200 changeover, dropping it to 6k with the PFC (with the necessary VVT changes) is an improvement.
:werd: I thought all gts had a 6.2k lift engagement .. differences between gts being most likely caused by unprecied tach reading. So, you're saying there's really 2 different factory ECU program available? I'm not considering the early cutoff of the 02 models here.

My tach says 6.2 k btw. Anyways, I'd rather want to increase the cutoff to make the car faster but lowering lift engagement to 6k would adds to the drivability of the car. If like you said, we're not loosing power by lowering the lift engagament to 6k.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
I agree with MWR. I was able to make it come on at 5900 rpms but the power was the same as when it came on at 6,000 rpms. only change was the sound lol.

from what we've seen I dont think going below 6K is worth while.

=========================================

Yes there were certain stock ecu's that kicked lift on at 6,000 rpms instead of 6200 rpms.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
danGTS said:
:werd: I thought all gts had a 6.2k lift engagement .. differences between gts being most likely caused by unprecied tach reading. So, you're saying there's really 2 different factory ECU program available? I'm not considering the early cutoff of the 02 models here.

My tach says 6.2 k btw. Anyways, I'd rather want to increase the cutoff to make the car faster but lowering lift engagement to 6k would adds to the drivability of the car. If like you said, we're not loosing power by lowering the lift engagament to 6k.
Dan - MWR is right - some of the earlier 2000 models had a 6K lift engagement

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
00silverGTS6spd said:
did I get the 5800 disengagement explanation right?
I'm not sure - I've never actually logged it to watch the disengagment point with my scantool. Remind me to bring the scantool to the mandy meet this month and we could check it on someone's car.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Dosn't VVT compensate for a lower lift engagement point? My XRS engages at 6700rpm and I want it lowered to 6000rpm, will VVT compensate for this new point or will I have to manually tune VVT for this new engagement point?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's all controlled by the ECU*. so you'll either have to adjust the lift point By 1. Swapping out your ECU with a 2000 celica's 6speed, depending on your model [ XRS/ 6speed or manual].

or 2. buy a PowerFC.

I guess they made the Matrix/Vibe weaker than the celica. With more emission control/ ECU adjustments..

·
Registered
593 Posts
Boosted. The disengagement point which you can move with the PFC enables the engine to keep the high cam until revs go below the set rpm. The stock PFC maps(not MWR ones) have the disengagement point set at 5600rpm IIRC.

You can easily verify that it works from the datalogit by looking at the OSW sensor. 1=lift engaged 0=disengaged. ;)

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
So what MonkeyWrench is saying is that the big cam doesn't make more power than the small cam at 5900? From what I can tell, there is a big drop in power from about 4500-6000rpm, and I would think that switching to the bigger cam earlier would help reshape the power curve to continue building hp. Either way, I like the VTEC switchover--you hardly know it happens. Maybe it's possible that we are all used to getting a big response when the big cam switches on, that we are actually losing out on a better, more powerful powerband because we wish to keep the light switch effect?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts