NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Walmart is selling its own brand Supertech full synthetic with warranty for 20K mile or 1 year, about $15 for 5 quarts, the same price as its older synthetic oils. Other brands would probably sell their 20K oils soon.

I drive about 20K miles a year, so this oil should help reduce oil change frequency. I hate to get dirty changing oil. So far so good.

I use this oil with Toyota oil filter to make sure engine is lubricated properly. I hate to bring the cars to cheap oil change places with cheap oil and cheap filter. You never know if their filter actually works.

Besides these cheap oil change places would always try to upsell you on other unneeded maintenance and repairs.

·
Registered
396 Posts
.... dont believe the marketing bullshit. Every 5k miles for syth or 6 months what ever comes first.

I could go into why the car brands are saying all this crap about 10-15k oil changes the short and curly of it is bullshit epa regulations and taxes not ur engines health or saftey. U can never change ur oil to often, u can deffently do it too late.

Same goes for ur other fluids, it all breaks down just like engine oil, coolant, trans fluid and brake fluid all have a useful life span and a mile interval.

Chances are if theyre telling u that they suggest a trans flush because the fluid is dark dirty and smells burnt... u shud prolly listen to them.

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Registered
191 Posts
There are a lot of manufacturers that are reconstituting old reclaimed oil and technically that’s a new engine oil.

in my cars and bikes I use a decent 10/30 semi synthetic and change it every 5000km.. filters every 10000km.

I would use a straight mineral oil in preference but it’s harder to get these days.

that said my celica runs on redline race 30 and between events I drop it back to sit with a 15/40 rotella

To be honest.. oil is cheap and good insurance.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I buy Costco synthetic oil about $26 bux for 10 quarts.. still change every 3,000 miles, cuz fuck that... I've seen the customer states vids on youtube, LOL...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Couple years back when 91 Octane gas was expensive, I ran the GTS for a couple years on cheap 87 Octane and never changed oil. Engine had an oil leak so I kept adding 1 quart every 2K miles or so, too lazy to change.

Engine was running smoothly at high speed but started shaking in idle and low speed. Cyl 1 had compression 190 PSI, the rest was at about 220. Couple reputable shops said nothing they could do; just swap the engine. I suspected carbon deposits in valves or piston rings so tried various cleaning agents, Seafoam, STP ect in the oil, but they did not improve. I flushed the oil with MOTOR MEDIC's GUNK twice at half recommended strength. Dumped oil was thick, black and sludgy. With clean oil, compression was restored. Engine ran smooth and strong again. Definitely recommend keeping oil clean and use 91 Octane fuel.

Since then I changed oil and filter every 10K miles with Walmart's half or full synthetics, flushing with quarter strength GUNK. Oil is brown but not black. I had the front timing cover resealed so there is very little oil loss. Engine runs smooth and strong after 320K miles.

I don't see benefits of changing synthetic oil before 10K miles. Will monitor this Walmart's 20K oil's viscosity at 10K to see if it needs change.

BTW Warren Distributing in LA mixes oil for many brands, including Walmart, Costco and Amazon. But only Walmart and Mobile sell 20K oil with warranty. If they break down before that, the other brands would probably sue them for false advertising.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Its not just oil breaking down oil gets dirty and gritty. If u spin a bearing or break a chain or throw a rod u act like their "warranty" will fix ur blown engine. They will do a oil analysis see there is foreign material in ur oil and say the oil was fine BUT we did find carbon deposits and metal in the oil sample which isnt covered.

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Engineering Explained is far more rational than Scotty Kilmer.

He showed Mobile 1 tests that prove acceptable wear of engine parts in 3 cars after 120K miles, with 20K oil change interval.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have another GTS that had a petroleum oil change 5 years ago with only 8K miles since.

I got bored so I flushed the oil and put in new synthetic oil last week.

Engine runs great, not blowing up yet.

·
Registered
83 Posts
.... dont believe the marketing bullshit. Every 5k miles for syth or 6 months what ever comes first.

I could go into why the car brands are saying all this crap about 10-15k oil changes the short and curly of it is bullshit epa regulations and taxes not ur engines health or saftey. U can never change ur oil to often, u can deffently do it too late.

Same goes for ur other fluids, it all breaks down just like engine oil, coolant, trans fluid and brake fluid all have a useful life span and a mile interval.

Chances are if theyre telling u that they suggest a trans flush because the fluid is dark dirty and smells burnt... u shud prolly listen to them.

2000 GTS Turbo
I'm sorry, but you're literally just wasting oil. Modern oils can easily last over 10k miles, and good ones can indeed go up to 20k. Look up Euro regulations on oil specs and you'll see that over there, they figured out that maybe oil shouldn't be getting changed so frequently, and took steps to increase the service intervals by mandated minimums in oil performance. It's really only here in the US where people think it's still the 60s and change their oil so often. If it's really getting dirty that fast, it's crappy oil, a crappy filter, or a crappy engine. Those EPA regulations exist because people change their oil way too damn much and production and pollution go up as a result.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Walmart is selling its own brand Supertech full synthetic with warranty for 20K mile or 1 year, about $15 for 5 quarts, the same price as its older synthetic oils. Other brands would probably sell their 20K oils soon.

I drive about 20K miles a year, so this oil should help reduce oil change frequency. I hate to get dirty changing oil. So far so good.

I use this oil with Toyota oil filter to make sure engine is lubricated properly. I hate to bring the cars to cheap oil change places with cheap oil and cheap filter. You never know if their filter actually works.

Besides these cheap oil change places would always try to upsell you on other unneeded maintenance and repairs.
I ran Mobil 1's Annual performance and filter for 15k miles it did fine. People really underestimate what certain oils are capable of today, or blame oil for issues cause by another source.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
People should trust objective and scientific tests over old wives' tales.

It would be stupid and potentially very expensive for the big brands to risk the reputation of their multibillion dollar business and class-action law suits on an obvious false claim.

Dealers and auto maintenance shops keep promoting 3K miles oil change interval so you have to bring your cars in for them to sell unnecessary products and services.

I ran Mobil 1's Annual performance and filter for 15k miles it did fine. People really underestimate what certain oils are capable of today, or blame oil for issues cause by another source.

·
Registered
191 Posts
People should learn to differentiate between objective science and company ‘propaganda’ or marketing.
Google. ‘ Bob the oil guy’

forums should ban people who start OIL threads.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Believe what u want, they did the same crap back when syth became all the rage in the 80s an 90s saying 15-20k then they slowly worked it back because people kept blowing their engines. Now epa steps in and taxes manuf based on the average amount of oils used in a cars life span. Some office White collar guy said:

"hey... we can cut our tax in half if we tell these fools to go 10k miles per oil change, their warranty is only 36k or 60 with the extended warranty itll be fine."

And here we are now. Its a load of crap. Not to mention people never check their oil so the likelyhood of a leak starting or the upto 1qt per 1k miles is acceptable burn eats up engines left an right. Its all about money. U really think mobile an all these other manuf want to lose money allowing people to go that long on oil instead of doing 3--5 oil changes in the same time frame?

Wheres the logic here unless theres somthing to make the time worth while... like.... idk BUYING and FIXING the pile of junk u just blew the engine up on or buying a new car feeding into the massive scam which is new car sales?

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Registered
396 Posts
Nobody gives a shit about a stupid grease monkey's rambling.
The ignorance of some 1 calling a mechanic a "grease monkey" is unfathomable. Being a machanic is a demanding trade and requires alot of knowledge experiance and a serious investment of tools. If some 1 brought their car to me and called me a grease monkey id make them tow the car out of my shop.

Show respect for those who do what you cannot. Ignorant statements such as that gives trades a bad name. I really blame the education system for this but those who fall into such a pit i have no hope for having a postitive impact on society.

Rant over.

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Registered
83 Posts
Believe what u want, they did the same crap back when syth became all the rage in the 80s an 90s saying 15-20k then they slowly worked it back because people kept blowing their engines. Now epa steps in and taxes manuf based on the average amount of oils used in a cars life span. Some office White collar guy said:

"hey... we can cut our tax in half if we tell these fools to go 10k miles per oil change, their warranty is only 36k or 60 with the extended warranty itll be fine."

And here we are now. Its a load of crap. Not to mention people never check their oil so the likelyhood of a leak starting or the upto 1qt per 1k miles is acceptable burn eats up engines left an right. Its all about money. U really think mobile an all these other manuf want to lose money allowing people to go that long on oil instead of doing 3--5 oil changes in the same time frame?

Wheres the logic here unless theres somthing to make the time worth while... like.... idk BUYING and FIXING the pile of junk u just blew the engine up on or buying a new car feeding into the massive scam which is new car sales?

2000 GTS Turbo
That's because a well-made synthetic oil CAN go for 15-20k, when PROPERLY used. Problem is, as you've pointed out, most people don't know what the hell they're doing when it comes to car maintenance, or even operating a car, and push oils WAY PAST what they were designed for. When an oil company specifies a service interval, it's under the condition that that oil is subjected to very stable conditions, which don't really exist in the real world, and many times also require a high quality filter be used, which most people don't because they want to cheap out. Obviously some shitty 7-11 or Walmart brand oil won't perform as well as Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum, and that's why they're significantly cheaper. They lack all the fancy detergents, friction modifiers, and particulate suspension necessary to maintain high durability.

It seems to be that the issue was never the oil, it was the driver not doing their due diligence in maintaining it. The people who blew their engines likely did so becuase they don't know how to use a damn car, not because the oil wasn't good enough. The EPA and IRS have nothing to do with this outside of working with manufacturers to figure out a good balance between oil usability and pollution and production costs, and then rolling out policies to help maintain that. This is also why brands have multiple tiers of oil quality, you could go for the cheapest level and change that stuff left and right because you enjoy making your life harder, or you could pick a high performance oil that will take a lot of the abuse you could throw at it and then some, and not have to worry unless you're outright autocrossing, which at that point you pay for the extremely high performance stuff because nobody in their right mind runs friggin 7-11 oil at a drag race unless they plan on blowing the motor mid race.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This guy is a rude, retarded, illiterate and offensive lowlife.

He really thinks a few of his monkey friends should be trusted over multibillion-dollar companies that spent hundred millions dollars for thousands engineers and scientists to develop, test and certify improved products that can benefit the whole world.

umm

Bob is the oil guy has a lot of Industrial chemists writing on it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
This guy is a rude, retarded, illiterate and offensive lowlife.

He really thinks a few of his monkey friends should be trusted over multibillion-dollar companies that spent hundred millions dollars for thousands engineers and scientists to develop, test and certify improved products that can benefit the whole world.
The "offensive" comment has me laughing right now. All i can think of is the meme of that girl screaming "NOOOOOO" when trump was elected. If you get "triggered" by people on the interwebs you should turn off phone or get a backbone lmao.

But back to the matter at hand he is fairly intelligent, can read, and is pretty well off. So everything u said is BS.

At this point your ignorance seems permanent but heres the reality, company's take advantage of people who think your way and see"BEST RATED" or "NUMBER 1 IN CLASS" and think that means somthing.

It means nothing. Absolutely nothing. Its marketing to take advantage of people with no common sense or the ability to test for them self. FYI are you aware there is no standard for semi synthetic oils? You can take 10,000gals of conventional add 1 qt of synthetic and BAM its a syn blend.

Or add an extra .01% of an additive in the oil and say "NEW AND IMPROVED FOR ENGINE LIFE". And there ya go. No need to pay millions for engineers to do nothing. The oil is already made it takes a few minuets to tweak the formula.

They know which additives do what for the engine so a adjustment here an there in aditivies and boom "20k oil life" which OIL life isnt ADDITIVE life which burns faster than the actual oil base. So the reason you change oil isnt exactly because the oil is broken down its because the additives lose their effectivness.

Back to what this was orig for. 20k mile on oil is stupid. Spend the extra money change it more often. Theres no reason not to ur not going to go broke changing the oil in ur car. If its to much at a.dealership or service shop do it ur self.

5qt Castol syn is 22$ at walmart an a k&n filter is 6$ on amazon. If ur sooooo concerned about the " environment " call over to China and tell them to stop dumping all their oil plastic an trash in the ocean as they are by far the #1 leader in pollution in our world.

2000 GTS Turbo

1 - 20 of 24 Posts