NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a ticket for going 70 in a 60, following traffic, on the 23rd of last month. Ive never gotten a ticket, so I didnt know exactly what I was doing, and I thought my appearance date (which is today) was my court date. I was planning on trying and appeal it. Now that I called to find out what time I need to be there, I now know its not my court date.

With me moving back home in two weeks, 23 hours away to a different state, will they still let me fight the $160 ticket in court? Im afraid they will tell me I have to pay the ticket upfront and have it on my record since im leaving so soon.

Pretty much Im asking... What the hell do I tell the people at the courthouse for my appearance date today, to get this ticket reduced to the minimum and hopefully off my record?

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
If you're moving that far away, **** it - ignore it and change your driver's license as soon as you move to your new state - it will get lost in the system.
Not necessarily true. There is a system (Forgot the name, but I read the article on CNN a few months back) that is shared by a good amount of states now, that carry all your violations in one single source.

If he changed his license asap, the ticket will not show. But depending on the state, it can POSSIBLY follow him.

But the changing your license thing is definitely great advice. I did that from PA to NY to PA until I was able to pay fines off in PA.

·
The_204
1,032 Posts
If the OP requested a court date and misses, he will be suspended the same day. So his chances of a new license in a different state most likely will not happen because it will show he's suspended elsewhere. Also it will turn to a warrant. Most traffic warrants are not extraditable though so you are good there. (unless its MD)

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I'm not sure about in Utah, but in Washington state, you can mail in your testimony inside of actually going into court. You may try doing this to explain why you think you shouldn't get the ticket, fine, etc.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Don't for get about it. If you do they will issue a bench warrant or FTA that is always double the violation plus you have to pay for the ticket. Just go to court early and let them know your situation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts