NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aight guys.

XS Engineering Turbo Kit is just too expensive, especially for what i'm looking to do. I just want to run around a measily 3-4PSI safely, more for a little bit of performance and for shows. I'm not interested in paying 4,000$ to run boost, i'm just interested on what would be the best way to get my GT-S boosted to 3-4PSI without spending large amounts of money, I don't care whether its intercooled or not - but intercooled would most likely make it safer. Whats the best way to get the GT-S turbo'd? What kind of parts do I need to achieve this?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
no way man... there is no way you can get turbo'd under 4000$ unless you're going to do installs yourself.

I know C2Power offers a group-buy price on the GT-S kit for 3400, but you will have to include shipping with that.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I agree with Bing, Turbo doesn't come cheap. easy as that.

Getting boosted much cheaper than 4k will be very interesting...

·
Registered
822 Posts
get a power fc, tune it right and you got the same amount of power if not more than others have at 4-5 psi, cheaper, easier to maintain and to install

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Originally posted by mrtomcat
get a power fc, tune it right and you got the same amount of power if not more than others have at 4-5 psi, cheaper, easier to maintain and to install
agreed!

·
Registered
180 Posts
The price of a turbo is not based on boost levels but the parts you are getting (custom piping, wastegates, standalone or piggybacks), and based on the parts you get the boost can get higher (intercooler, internals, etc..) Its cheaper for you because low boost means you do not neccessarily need to do internals.

They sell whistlers that simulate turbo.:thumbdown

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you all misunderstood my question. I'm not looking to create the sound of a Turbo, or the "fake intercooler" look. I'm actually trying to Turbo the car, and i'm trying to throw questions more directed at setting up a "cheaper custom turbo kit" instead of going to the way for a name-brand kit. I'm just interested in getting Turbo'd safely, without needing to spend the extra money for all the neccessities of running 8-12PSI. Yes, I understand the money is for the parts and not the boost, again my question was misunderstood - i'm taking it by some of the stupid comments.

I used to have a '97 Celica, and could have slapped a custom Turbo kit on that car for less than 2,000$ and ran a decent 5-8PSI (obviously no internal parts installed).

·
Registered
28 Posts
PFC $1000ish

A FMIC can be bought now for $380
http://store.yahoo.com/cheapturbo/pwr18x6.html

Turbo $590
http://store.yahoo.com/cheapturbo/gart3to448ar.html

Tial Wastegate $240
http://store.yahoo.com/cheapturbo/tial35hpwas1.html

Flanges for all the piping $100 or so

Oil Lines, $30 DIY type, or buy a kit online

Piping $200
www.summitracing.com

Silicone pipe connectors $150

Injectors $150

JGS Mani $250

and add $500 for things like gaskets and crap you always need but forget.

Thats $3590 by my math...

Not to mention the labor if you don't do it all yourself.

Thats alot of labor for somone. I'd buy the kit.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
you can get the stafford tuner kit for about 3300.00 the stock ECU might be able to make the adjustments for your low boost request. just get a wastegate set for 3-5 psi....you can safely boost 8-9 psi on your stock motor...i dont know why you are so scared of the slightly higher boost...and dont bother with the XS kit....

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
If your looking for low boost why just do N/A? You can get amazing numbers! If you do everything just right you will be f=right there at the same as if you were running low boost... GT-S can do that but GT's hahah they will never have good N/A without Cams..... I think from what I heard Crower or somone is in the process of making cams for our car? Just a humor?

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
JasonGTS said:
I think you all misunderstood my question. I'm not looking to create the sound of a Turbo, or the "fake intercooler" look. I'm actually trying to Turbo the car, and i'm trying to throw questions more directed at setting up a "cheaper custom turbo kit" instead of going to the way for a name-brand kit. I'm just interested in getting Turbo'd safely, without needing to spend the extra money for all the neccessities of running 8-12PSI. Yes, I understand the money is for the parts and not the boost, again my question was misunderstood - i'm taking it by some of the stupid comments.

I used to have a '97 Celica, and could have slapped a custom Turbo kit on that car for less than 2,000$ and ran a decent 5-8PSI (obviously no internal parts installed).
heres the thing: while a DIY turbo is a possibility, unless you are VERY mechanically inclined and know more about cars and engines than about 99.9% of the people on this site it will be more cost and hassle in the long run to build your own turbo kit than to buy a proven premade kit that works. It is VERY easy to screw up and hurt your motor when you go FI if you don't really know your stuff.

My suggestion is the basic SF kit - it will do exactly what you want and if you run it at minimum boost you won't need very much tuning above and beyond the basemap. Your 97 was a different story especially if you had a 5S-FE. The engine management was much simpler back then and easier to tune for a low boost application. There was a lot more room under the hood, the exhaust was conveniently located up front - the car already ran on a MAP sensor, the list goes on and on. the 7th Gen is a much more complicated peice of machinery and it takes a slightly higher degree of knowledge and skill to get it done right.

don't take this the wrong way please, but from your post I'm going to guess you probably aren't quite at the level of knowledge that would be required to do it right - the ability may well be there, but the knowledge and skillset are more important and its not something you can really pick up over the internet.

anyways thats just an opinion and I could be wrong - take it for what its worth.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Originally posted by JasonGTS
custom Turbo kit on that car for less than 2,000$ and ran a decent 5-8PSI (obviously no internal parts installed).
Was it a GT-4? If so, you just needed to replace the turbo and maybe the intercooler. Like m.aurelius said: you are paying for the parts. Making a N/A car F/I, takes quite some parts.

Well, there's just no company that makes turbo kits for $2000 for the 7th generation Celica at the moment. I don't think you will ever find any. Unless you find any used kits or ebay kits that's supposely going to work(I wouldn't bet on it).

CUSTOM is very expensive. CUSTOM pipes that needs to get CUSTOMly bent, CUSTOM IC, research about turbo for the application, piping labor, manifold labor, pre-tuning, installs, etc...

Why go through this whole phase again when someone else have done this already?

Might want to think of saving some more bucks to get a kit, if not...then you shouldn't go F/I. Going turbo is not cheap and your baby will require more maintenance, less mileage and parts costs some when you need: for example a stronger clutch.
Immo's stock clutch couldn't hold up against C2Power stage 1 kit's torque, so he ordered a stronger clutch.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Why did you have to bring up my clutch again... LOL.
It's true, my clutch didn't hold up even though I had only 50.000 km on it. Got a SPEC set now and I am happy with it now SPEC representative told me some slippage is normal during break-in..
Going F/I does not come cheap, and you shouldn't try to do it cheap.

Now about the turbo for the 6th gen celica...
I have seen turbo-kits for the 7AFE engine, check http://www.turbo-kits.com/corolla_turbo_kits.html . The funny things is they also claim to have a turbo-kit for the 1ZZFE engine for 2000 dollars. So JasonGTS, you can be the guinea pig...
I just accidently found this.
The 2k kit doesn't have the intercooler though

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Well, not really.... he has a GT-S. So not suitable for his car. If you would like to try, then count on frustrating hours, days, weeks and maybe even months to get this to fit.

The engine bay of a GT-S has less space, thus requires custom piping with this kit.

·
Registered
709 Posts
oops, didn't see he had a GTS :)
I'm with you.
if you are gonna go F/I, do it right.

Also the manifold won't fit etc.. etc..

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the good info this time guys. :)

No, i'm not being a guniea pig. :p So you're telling me if I was to go ahead and purchase the Apexi PFC, I could see the same result NA as I would Turbo just by properly tuning? I've got an Injen CAI and Greddy EVO2 Exhaust on the GTS, and i've definitly seen a surprising power difference so I can understand that. But then I'd have to look into a Header to go with the PFC - but from what i'm hearing on the other threads is that the DC Header is garbage, and mix about the other ones - reason why i'm hesitant on the Header.

In this case i'll just wait till next spring and get my hands on a SF Kit when i'm actually interested in running a large amount of boost. I actually had an old '97 Celica ST (7A-FE) - ran around on a 10 PSI, but I had help building the Turbo kit with someone local that had one. I've only had this GTS for about 2-3 months.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Well, I doubt you can get a GTS with header and powerfc as fast as a boosted GTS or a GT for that matter.

I don't think there will be that much gain in torque possible when staying N/A , but I might be wrong..

·
Registered
822 Posts
it would be easy to get the same gains from a powerfc than from a turbo that's boosted to 5 psi....easy I tell ya...:)
there are certain people that have proven that fact over and over.

You also do not need a header in order to get those gains

Either get the PFC or get the base SF kit

·
Registered
709 Posts
hmm, my GT is now at an estimated 200 whp and 190 lb/ft torque. Are you claiming this can be reached with the powerfc too?
What gains do you think are possible with a turbo AND pfc ?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts