NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was driving home from work the other day, was around 11 pm, and my friend called me, so seeing as how i didn't want a ticket, i pulled over and put my hazards on to answer the call. After about 2 minutes of talking on the phone, a police officer pulls up behind me and turns on his lights, so i just sighed and thought "here we go what'd i do this time", and he walks up and says "any problems today buddy?" to which i replied "no, i was just on the phone with a friend and decided to pull off so i wouldn't get a ticket for talking on the phone" etc etc, then he went to say "well i pulled over and checked your license, and i see it's being revoked tomorrow ( in maryland teenagers recieve a provisional license, and if you get two tickets within the time of the of the provisional period, you get it suspended for 30 days, i received two moving violations 17 months apart, when the period for a provisional license is 18 months, so yeah i know im stupid for speeding/failing to stop for a full three seconds at a stop sign ( i stopped for two so i got a ticket lol ).

ANYWAYS he went on to say "i wanted to make sure you weren't doing anything reckless, also im here to tell you that you need to raise your car up because it is way to low, and you're lucky i don't write a ticket for it"

i just said thanks for the kindness officer and went on my way
but can you really get a ticket for being too low lol?

i remember reading the only laws there were in the US about it is "headlights have to be 22 inches above the ground" or "the lowest body piece cannot be below the lowest part of the rim" neither of which i believe are enforced in maryland, and i pass both of those tests

anyone else ever get yelled at for being "too low" even though im not low compared to half of you guys :smoke:

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Maryland
A person may not operate a vehicle on any highway if the height of the vehicle’s bumpers exceed:

20 inches for passenger vehicles;
28 inches for multipurpose vehicles and trucks with GVW of 10,000 lbs. or less;
30 inches for trucks with a GVW exceeding 10,000 lbs.; or
32 inches for trucks used for spraying agricultural crops.
A bumper may not be modified or extended upward or downward to compensate for vehicle suspension or body alterations or modifications

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/bumper-height/

·
(..+
2,523 Posts
^
That

The bottom line is, 85+% of modifications are illegal in most (40+) States.

It's just a matter of enforcement, cops react differently to different things in different cities. I've heard of cops having a 0 tolerance policy on dark tint in the city neighboring mine yet I've rolled around for years with 10-12% below the legal limit and never had a cop say anything on any of my many, many traffic stops. Another good example being tail light tint. It is 100% illegal here yet i drove around for years without a problem and see it on tons of cars around here while some of my friends have gotten tickets for it.

I'm sure he could have found something in the penal code to write you a ticket for but he kinda just sounded like a douche.

·
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
seeing as how i can't afford tickets 24/7 i always get right at the limit, ie my exhaust with the silencer in is like 94 DB

my tints are 35% (the legal limit in MD)

my skirts barely reach the bottom of the rim, which is apparently what the cop said he was going to charge me for
:shrugs:

most cops i've run into are fairly decent but this one probs had something uphis ass

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
This is why you need bags.

"Officer, I'm not even low." Drop the height to body on the ground and watch his expression.

I'm going to tell you right now. He didn't originally pull you over for ride height. He stopped because he probably saw a young face out at night and immediately assumed you were intoxicated. When he saw that you weren't, he simply wanted to get you for something else so he didn't make a fool of himself.

·
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its called "unsafe ride height"

happens all the time.

there is a cop in my city with a tennis ball. if he cant roll it under your car than your too low.

im too low
:chuckles: i don't know if i would pass that, i might

This is why you need bags.

"Officer, I'm not even low." Drop the height to body on the ground and watch his expression.

I'm going to tell you right now. He didn't originally pull you over for ride height. He stopped because he probably saw a young face out at night and immediately assumed you were intoxicated. When he saw that you weren't, he simply wanted to get you for something else so he didn't make a fool of himself.
i think bags as themselves are illegal for street use, not entirely sure

also i agree with you, i got pulled over once and the officer forced me to do a dui test (walked in a straight line, etc), and once i passed and he realized i was sober he tried to find something else to give me a ticket for, so that's how i ended up getting an exhaust ticket lol

is wondering how people get away with supercars in your area..
right? my car isn't much lower than some cars that come stock, so i don't see the big deal honestly, i consider it more dangerous to raise those HUGE pickup trucks than to lower my car, like seriously lol

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I'm going to tell you right now. He didn't originally pull you over for ride height. He stopped because he probably saw a young face out at night and immediately assumed you were fill-in-the-blank. When he saw that you weren't, he simply wanted to get you for something else so he didn't make a fool of himself.
+1

Also, elections have consequences. Mayor, town council, etc. help set these things.

·
(..+
2,523 Posts
also i agree with you, i got pulled over once and the officer forced me to do a dui test (walked in a straight line, etc), and once i passed and he realized i was sober he tried to find something else to give me a ticket for, so that's how i ended up getting an exhaust ticket lol
Same here, i blew a red light (in fairness it did turn yellow when i was about 25 feet away from it doing 55 MPH So i accelerated to about 4500 RPM to clear it) and a cop at the cross street pulled out, followed me for a few miles then pulled me over. After a good bit of arguing about how I wouldn't have had time to stop. i left that TS with an exhaust ticket...

·
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fuck you. just pay the ticket.

so what if you have to pay $80 a month for a ticket

if thats the cost of being low than thats fine
no i agree with you, i knew if i modified my car it'll get attention, including attention from the police lol

^ They will pull his license. You need to realize his age.
this^

it already happened sadly lol, just turned my license in for 30 days because i received two moving violations in the process of 3 years of driving :shrugs:

Same here, i blew a red light (in fairness it did turn yellow when i was about 25 feet away from it doing 55 MPH So i accelerated to about 4500 RPM to clear it) and a cop at the cross street pulled out, followed me for a few miles then pulled me over. After a good bit of arguing about how I wouldn't have had time to stop. i left that TS with an exhaust ticket...
it sucks how that you can be pulled over for no reason then they just look for something to ticket you with lol

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
When i got pulled over the cop complemented on how low my car was, but where i live cops don't care about that stuff, but if you get a ticket for that fight it maybe but i definitely would raise my car back up, or get new rims raise you up a little.

·
(..+
2,523 Posts
it sucks how that you can be pulled over for no reason then they just look for something to ticket you with lol
Yea, it's a big problem in Florida right now. It's turning into NYC in this bitch, you'll get stop and frisked in downtown parts of cities if you're wearing the wrong kind of clothes etc, Same thing with driving. I've had friends get pulled over for the most petty shit like "Not using your blinker a full 75 feet before a turn signal" Only to have the cop ask to search the car and them etc.

:dspnt: Sigh....

When i got pulled over the cop complemented on how low my car was, but where i live cops don't care about that stuff,
The funny part is im sure your car is breaking at least 1 code, all about the cops and what they care about :shrugs:

but i definitely would raise my car back up, or get new rims raise you up a little.
ROFL. the benefit of coils. Show up to your court date 4x4 as fuck and be like.. idk why he said he couldnt roll a tennis ball under my car :shrugs:

:troll:problem?

:gap:

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
When I first got my black GTS I went to county clerk's office to have the car transfer under me, I left all the papers at home including insurance. With no plate or temp plates on I got pulled over, say hi to the officers and told him I just got the car, heading to the clerks office. As soon as he notice my windshield he became so nice and he said drive carefully and went back to his car. I called him over and asked him if my kazuma is too loud at idle he said its good, reved it to 3k rpm and he said its cool, just don't redline infront of them and I'll be good.

·
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i told my parents about it, my dad flipped out about it lol, my mom was just like "that's bs, good for standing your ground" my dad is in the process of forcing me to raise my car up but i honestly won't do that, as stubborn and "spoiled" as that sounds, it's my car, i paid for it, paid for the BC's, why should he get to choose what i do to it lol
:shrugs:
either way i've never heard of being too low in america at least, unless you're shooting up sparks in front of a cop lol

1 - 20 of 38 Posts