NewCelica.org Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Sounds like he was just dicking you around. I've had a few experiences with that, they can pretty much tell you what ever they want. For example I was pulled over in my impreza a few yrs ago for my windows being to "dark." The reality of the situation was they saw some kids cruising around late night & assumed they must be carrying, so they just tossed out a reason for a full car search. Pigs tend to be @$$holes

·
Registered
463 Posts
And they didn't even seem to notice I was running w virtually no exhaust I.e. "open headers" while I was saving up for my hks pipes

·
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
yup cops around here tend to look up the driver with the plates or however they do it, realize it's a young driver, especially if you have a really cheap beat up car, or a modified car, you will be pulled over and they will find a good ( in their eyes) to search your car, as that is a dead give away you have stuff you shouldn't
thankfully im not dumb enough to roll around in a car that gets the attention that mine does with drugs and or alcohol especially since i'm underage

:rolleyes:

·
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Correct me if i'm wrong i have no idea but don't they technically haft to have a warrant to do a search?
meh, there's so much grey area's when it comes to cops lol

i know that they can search with a "reasonable suspicion" for example, if you're speeding, and swerving around, they could search your car for booze or something you know?

·
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
they can always come up with some BS suspicious reason to search ur car.
you can always deny a search, half of the time if you deny a search they'll drop it since they obviously don't have a legitimate reason to search your car.

but meh like i said before, cops around here aren't that big of dicks, i've been complimented on how clean my car (meaning washed and inside wasn't full of trash...unless he meant it looked sick ;) lol ) was by a cop "even though i was a teen" lol

·
Registered
463 Posts
they can always come up with some BS suspicious reason to search ur car.
X2

They can basicly do anything they want. Who you gona call to complain??

I've personaly heard; not specificly being the driver of the car; "if you don't hand over your stash right now then we will call in the K9 & if they bark you and your friends are going to jail too if you don't tell us right now where it's stashed we'll ripp your car apart untill we find it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Most of the time it's a bluff & they're trying to get you to give yourself up.

I'm not advocating & admitting to anything just sharing my experience w the same type of shitty situations.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Jay-z lied to me :marky: "Well, do you mind if I look around the car a little bit?"
Well, my glove compartment is locked, so is the trunk in the back
And I know my rights, so you gon' need a warrant for that

·
(..+
2,523 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong i have no idea but don't they technically haft to have a warrant to do a search?
Probable cause, which can be just about anything these days. (Dark tint, Aftermarket exhaust, being too low etc)

A cop can say he smelled weed coming from your vehicle and then search(how are you going to disprove that in court?) if he finds it.. He was right if he doesn't because there was nothing to be found its just brushed under the rug.

There is a video on YT of a kid video recording at a DUI checkpoint and ended up getting his car searched by a dog and you can see the handler of the dog giving commands to make the dog act a certain way to trigger a "Positive" they ripped his car apart, never found any drugs. Sent him on his way. With how sharp drug dogs sense of smell / training is... there should be no reason for a "False positive" as they call them in law enforcement. I'm sorry but a dog's nose is not programmed to alert on a positive scent for a drug when there isnt a microgram of anything in the car, nor has there ever been. Doesn't work that way.

Stuff like that i consider to be constitutional violations but meh, what do i know.

·
Lurk
780 Posts
Jay-z lied to me :marky: "Well, do you mind if I look around the car a little bit?"
Well, my glove compartment is locked, so is the trunk in the back
And I know my rights, so you gon' need a warrant for that
That's not a lie. If it's locked, they'll need a warrant unless you willingly open it for them. As long as you don't act like a complete buffoon, they won't have reasonable suspicion.

There was a couple of doctors here recently, husband and wife, accused of selling drugs. The police came to investigate at their house, and when they got there, they found large, locked safes. The couple claimed they didn't know where the keys were, so they got off basically with a verbal warning.

A cop can say he smelled weed coming from your vehicle and then search(how are you going to disprove that in court?)
From what I've seen, if you calmly state that you don't smell anything, it seems to be your best bet in this situation.

Lots of YT videos on this subject. I can't remember the name of the uploader, but some are very informative and I would encourage anyone to watch them.

·
(..+
2,523 Posts
From what I've seen, if you calmly state that you don't smell anything, it seems to be your best bet in this situation.
Yea but thats where it gets tricky. It's your word of the word of a LEO. No matter how upstanding of a citizen you are thats a battle you lose 7/10.

Imagine if you had a really small bag of weed (talking like a gram or two) under your passenger seat and he pulls the "i smell weed" thing, and finds it. then he can be like.. see told ya so.

I mean its never a good idea to drive around with illegals in your car, I'm just saying no way is he smelling that but you're still going to jail and you cant use the "no way did he smell that" defense, yet if its the same situation and you don't have weed and he searches and comes up with nothing he'll send you on your way. It's a totally slanted system because every time something like that happens there needs to be suits for unlawful searches. (as in the case with the dog handler forcing a false positive from the dog)

Edit: Heres the video i spoke of

http://youtu.be/w-WMn_zHCVo

Sorry it's not letting me embed

·
Lurk
780 Posts
The YT user I was thinking of is named Flex Your Rights. Not sure if he is a law student or just fairly knowledgable, but several of his videos make some good points. The video I had in mind is titled "What if Police Say They Smell Marijuana?" Fitting for this convo, right? :chuckles:

·
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The YT user I was thinking of is named Flex Your Rights. Not sure if he is a law student or just fairly knowledgable, but several of his videos make some good points. The video I had in mind is titled "What if Police Say They Smell Marijuana?" Fitting for this convo, right? :chuckles:
:laugh: i remember that video
but honestly seeing as how im still a new driver and im a nervous wreck, i could never defend myself that well lol meh

but yeah either way, the best bet to play with the cops is always be nice, as it really can help you out, it'll show that you're a reasonable person, i can name at least 2 times by a cop expecting a punk kid but finding me and realizing im nice and understanding, i got let off with a warning lol :smoke:

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
"Yes, sir."

"No, sir."

"Thank you, Officer."

Your three most helpful phrases when pulled over, regardless of age or situation.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
That's not a lie. If it's locked, they'll need a warrant unless you willingly open it for them. As long as you don't act like a complete buffoon, they won't have reasonable suspicion.

There was a couple of doctors here recently, husband and wife, accused of selling drugs. The police came to investigate at their house, and when they got there, they found large, locked safes. The couple claimed they didn't know where the keys were, so they got off basically with a verbal warning.
Got ya makes sense thanks.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts