NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did an oil change 2 days ago and put in a k&n filter(suppose to flow really well) after i got done i started the car up as usual and my oil pressure gauge read 25 psi..... usually it reads 75 if the car is cold or around 50 if the engine is still warm. so i thought maybe it was the sender from my gauge that was acting up, i look everywhere today to find the sending unit and no one had them in stock..

so i just bought a whole new gauge unit just so i can get the sender:(, anyway way i get home and get everything installed, new gauge and new sender just incase either was causing the bad reading.

i go start the car up again and boom the gauge reads 25 psi again! i give it a little gas and it goes up to 26-27psi not the normal 70-75 psi. soat this point i'm friggin pissed because i drove hella far to pick up the gauge, and it cost me $91 for a regular autometer... and it turns out it wasn't even the cause of my bad reading. so i figure next thing it could be is the oil filter.. so i run out again to pepboys and bought a purolator to see if in fact it was a jacked up filter i had, got home put it in and guess what? the psi readings are normal now!!

i don't know what was up with the k&n filter, but when i took it off it had a bad smell to it, like burnt rubber and hair mixed together.

welp it's a good thing i had an oil pressure gauge hooked up or i would have just drove the car. so everyone, if you can just stay away from the k&n shi1t

·
Registered
467 Posts
Well since we are in the subject of oil filters. Have you every installed a gts oil filter in a GT?

BTW thanks for the heads up about the K&N

·
Registered
903 Posts
well thats why i use toyota filters to be sure that it wont happen to me.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I think putting a GT-S oil filter into a GT will fit but you will have slightly more oil, but less oil pressure. I think the opposite is true for putting a GT oil filter into a GT-S, it will slightly increse oil pressure.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
You really can't do much better than the stock filters - they do a great job. I keep a case of them for my Alltrac at all times.

·
Registered
528 Posts
:wtf: The first thing I bought for my Celica was a K&N and mine has never had any problems with it. It's still in the car to this day (which come to think of it I don't think I ever told the new owner It had it:ugh: )

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Originally posted by Tien's 00celica
:wtf: The first thing I bought for my Celica was a K&N and mine has never had any problems with it. It's still in the car to this day (which come to think of it I don't think I ever told the new owner It had it:ugh: )
They're talking about oil filters. ;) I just hope you're not. :eek:

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Blue Bomber said:
:rofl: :werd:

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea i'm sure it was just a one bad filter out of a bunch, but the price you pay for them they should do more in quality control. maybe others on here like control one(blew motor due to oil starvation) had the same problem with other filters, or other members who've said their car felt weaker after an oil change.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Originally posted by Blue Bomber
Man I knew I should have reread it, I thought something sounded off to me.:chuckles:
Note to self, don't post this early till I'm done with my coffee and awake:hide:

I always just used what ever I got at Autozone when I did my oil changes, nothing special but not the cheep oned either.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Call them and send it back. That way you can figure out what the problem was. Or cut it open and see if you find anything out of the ordinary.

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
Originally posted by WRENCHHEAD
welp it's a good thing i had an oil pressure gauge hooked up or i would have just drove the car.
:werd:

If I hadn't installed my oil psi gauge my engine would have died a long time ago. It's been eating oil for a while, so it's a very good thing I have to gauge so I can constantly monitor its level.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Originally posted by Alfy1
Well since we are in the subject of oil filters. Have you every installed a gts oil filter in a GT?

BTW thanks for the heads up about the K&N
there is a reason for having the different filters for different engines. just use what your engine calls for. anything else could likely cause problems

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Hmmm..........you know I still haven't installed a new filter on my car since my last oil change. For those of you that do not know I had a huge loss of performance after my last oil change. I figured it had something to do with the filter and I was goign to replace it, but forgot all about it. I guess I need to do that this week sometimes. By the way the filter I am having problems with is a Purolator filter. However, I am praying that I have been running on more than 25 psi of oil pressure. If I haven't been running higher than that I guess I will find out soon enough. However, I am going to install a new filter ASAP. I also guess I should install and oil pressure guage at some point in time.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Originally posted by jway83
there is a reason for having the different filters for different engines. just use what your engine calls for. anything else could likely cause problems
I just thought the lil extra oil would be good form my car.:wtc:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts