NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought a low mileage jdm motor that was money shifted but the head was rebuilt. It was leaking oil when i got it but i fixed it by tightening the valve cover. But its leaking coolant/water around where the rear engine mount is located. In idle it doesn't leak and exhaust is fine but when at 6k rpm plus it shoots out water out of the exhaust and it leaks below the rear engine mount.

The black stuff is probably old oil because we have brand new oil in it. The exhaust has had 2 blown motors in it could explain the stuff all over the exhaust.

I got friends saying a blown head gasket would make sense since the head was the only thing replaced on the car. Car sounds great and hits lift perfectly but it eats up coolant.

I've also replaced every coolant hose on the car.

Maybe the piston rings? but they only have 70k miles

·
Registered
518 Posts
Water will always come out of ur exhaust. Thats true with any car that has a cat.

If COOLANT is coming out thats another story and will burn white and smell sweet.

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Water will always come out of ur exhaust. Thats true with any car that has a cat.

If COOLANT is coming out thats another story and will burn white and smell sweet.

2000 GTS Turbo
I’m using distilled water as my coolant. But yeah it comes out when I rev it. What do you think? But the smoke is very minimal but only at HIGH rpm. Maybe a head gasket?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I strongly advise agianst water being used as ur coolant. Its only thing if ur going to a race track, and dont want to get coolant on the track if a hose blows...

But not as a actual coolant for daily use. There seals that need to be lubricated and refreasnd chemically by the coolant not to mention the corrosion resistance properties.

On the other note about ur RPM .... what happens when the exhaust goes through ur cat theres a chemaical reaction that changes portion of the exhaust into water, that water will collext in places in your exhaust because theres not enough momentium for it to leave the exhaust umder idle or while the car isnt moving forward.

So... when u rev it the exhaust speeds up and picks up the water via vaccum and sprays it on the ground. A good example to see this is with a big displacment truck that still has a cat, when they pull away from a light ull see a whole cup of water damn near come out of the exhaust.

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I strongly advise agianst water being used as ur coolant. Its only thing if ur going to a race track, and dont want to get coolant on the track if a hose blows...

But not as a actual coolant for daily use. There seals that need to be lubricated and refreasnd chemically by the coolant not to mention the corrosion resistance properties.

On the other note about ur RPM .... what happens when the exhaust goes through ur cat theres a chemaical reaction that changes portion of the exhaust into water, that water will collext in places in your exhaust because theres not enough momentium for it to leave the exhaust umder idle or while the car isnt moving forward.

So... when u rev it the exhaust speeds up and picks up the water via vaccum and sprays it on the ground. A good example to see this is with a big displacment truck that still has a cat, when they pull away from a light ull see a whole cup of water damn near come out of the exhaust.

2000 GTS Turbo
So how does it eat up so much coolant? i also have a minor leak around the rear engine mount. I'm sure its not a hose. I've filled it up to full line on the coolant with distilled water and after idling for maybe more then 30 mins its already on low. Should i do a coolant flush and actually put in real coolant?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So how does it eat up so much coolant? i also have a minor leak around the rear engine mount. I'm sure its not a hose. I've filled it up to full line on the coolant with distilled water and after idling for maybe more then 30 mins its already on low. Should i do a coolant flush and actually put in real coolant?
Oil levels are perfect so if it was a head gasket maybe oil would levels would drop as well?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts