NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm hoping someone can help me with this watery problem. I live in Florida, so needless to say, it is plenty wet down here. I noticed one day that my passenger floor was soaked, so, I removed the carpet and noticed that my 2001 celica is taking in water. I removed the dashboard and had my brother pour water on the windshield and I still have not seen the source of the water leak. I drove through a deep puddle of water during a rainstorm and water gradually came in, strangely just on the passenger side. I just left work and water IS coming in on both the driver side and passenger side just with the heavy condensation alone. Any ideas where water could be coming in from? I see a small metal tab with slight rust so I am looking to stop this leak as quick as I can. Thanks for any help that can be given.

· Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is it the original windshield? If not I would check the sealant along the bottom of the windshield, had the same problem on my old nissan after having the windshield replaced
Honestly, I don't remember if it is the original windshield! lol, my brother poured water all over the windshield but the leak was not present, but suppose I can check it again the next time I have the dashboard out..

· Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I did another water test, but no results. The sunroof tray drained properly, it took a moment, but it did drain, I poured water onto the windshield as well and still nothing. My next idea could be the rubber seals on the firewall maybe? It seems to be wet where the shift linkages exit the car through the firewall. But the best way to see it would be to remove the whole heater core...

· Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I noticed another thing today, driving with the a/c and/or heat on, I get a trickle of water on the passenger side floor. It is NOT coolant, it is definitely water, but from where? The day was dry, NO rain...

· Premium Member
15,376 Posts
the tube to route the condensation out is not mated up or gone. there should be a rubber hose coming out the firewall by the powersteering pump. thats what takes that water out and dumps it outside

· Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know of the tube which you were referring to. It was where it was supposed to be. It was a bit loose, so I added some sealant to make it water tight. That is not the source of my water leak however. It is coming from the area where the shift linkages exit the firewall. It doesn't appear wet below it, but I notice a rust color coming from above it...

· Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I happened to do a google search about it, and apparently the housing where the ac/heater is has a drainage hose that gets clogged and has to be cleared. I see the hose leading out of the vehicle, awhile back it seemed to drain properly, but I will check and see all of the drainage hoses again. What I did is completely removed my carpet to avoid water damage to it. If you guys look under your glovebox, to the left is a black housing that can be popped off, when you do, I believe the equipment is part of the a/c system, that is where it is leaking from now, besides the leak that is coming from behind the unit. That appears to be the source...finding the leak is rough as there is no room behind the unit to work with even after taking the dashboard out. I might get a fiber optic camera and take a peek what is going on...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.