NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all my first post!

Firstly I would like to say thanks for having me! I own a 2004 blue vvti right hand drive since feb 2013.

I noticed water under my rear seats whilst installing a rear view cam and screen(pics to follow on this upgrade) and also after stripping my whole rear interior more water in the boot/trunk/bumper/fender area :-(

I have checked the sunroof drain pipes and they are all connected and working correctly.

if you need more pics or info please let me know!

I have hunted the forums and cant find a solution to my leak problems :-( see images bellow:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not sure if Celicas have the same thing going on... Maybe a rear bumper clip isn't in the hole anymore and rain's blowing in through the hole. It might sound crazy, but I've had it happen in another car i owned. I found out during a big storm. I stopped at a light and water rushed in like a small dam broke. I found the hole behind all the plastics in the trunk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for recommendation

thanks for the advice but there are no bumper attachments near these sections to allow water in, at least none i can see.

I THINK its coming from somewhere above the center of the wheel arch where there appears to be a pillar with overlapping bodywork which you cant see easily as its behind the bodywork (around where the purple star is in picture 1c, to feel it I have to shove my hand(baby powdered for easy detection) up through either of the interior body panel holes.

this is a nightmare to solve :-(

·
Registered
103 Posts
How's the weather stripping around the hatch? If it isn't from the spot by the rear window, but seems to be coming from above it, it might be from there. I went crazy looking for the hole at first, I ended up taping paper towels to the inside and constantly checking to find where the water was running and changing them out a lot trying to narrow it down. Like the hole in front of the wheel arch in your pic, i had an opening like that and further inside there was a hole that was hard to see if you weren't really looking for it. It was a bitch because the water would collect on wires and cables and travel down them, collect on the plastics and by the time I noticed it I had a swimming pool in the trunk.

You might try sealing the area around the window with duct tape and see if the problem continues. If it stops, well you solved the mystery. If not, maybe tape down some sponges or paper towels along the path you think the water is traveling and see if it changes and trace it back to the source.

There's probably an easier way to do it, but that's pretty much the way I did it.

·
Celica Enthusiast
1,247 Posts
had the same problem in the rear seats. bought clear silicone at home-depot and it fixed the issue. i applied it around the black trim (on roof and corner windows) and inside and around the corner windows.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2zzge-Demon - I will get out the paper towels i think and just keep tracing back.. Its annoying and difficult shoving my hand behind panels not being able to see what the hell is going on there! my hands have a few small grazes now!

the boot hatch seal looks in v.good condition but im thinking maybe whilst driving water could be forcing up between somehow?

Jsnake513 - I will pay attention to them areas also and just see what happens.

I may aswell vacuum up that bloody powder thats been there for 3 weeks now.

Any other advice or where anyone found the ingress please let me know!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jsnake513 - I have taken off the roof trim on the left side if facing the car from the rear, and I cant see where I would put the silicone to seal anything?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had a similar problem where water would pile up in those rear arches, trunk carpet and also the spare wheel hole. The drain line for the sunroof leads to the rear arches. Mine had gone loose and anytime it rained water would pool up in the arches and spare wheel hole. Make sure the hose is connected to the rubber thing in the arches.

I stil had a leak coming down to my backseats, I removed the headliner and roof assembly. Turns out a lot of parts had rusted to shit on the tracks as well as on the drain channels. I ended up getting another roof assembly and it solved all my leaky issues. Also check the condition of the rubber seal on your sunroof.

·
Celica Enthusiast
1,247 Posts
Jsnake513 - I have taken off the roof trim on the left side if facing the car from the rear, and I cant see where I would put the silicone to seal anything?
From the outside or inside of the car? i did both..
from the outside I put the clear silicone on my fingers and slide it in between the trim and the car, (trim at the triangle window and roof) the more you slide your fingers through there the cleaner it will look. Then use a napkin to remove excess.
From the inside i had to remove the panel where the seatbelt is located to really reach the corner window. When i had access to the corner window I put silicone all around.. I may have pulled down the overhead panel a little too, best way to find the leak is on a rainy day or by holding a hose over the car. Your leak may not be exactly where my leak was.

·
Celica Enthusiast
1,247 Posts
even though i stopped the leak under the car seats and in the triangle window, i still get water in the trunk left corner where the vent is at. If you find how to stop water from getting there let us know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I'm still hunting have been busy with other stuff recently tho.. I did soak up all the water the other day and whilst doing so I pulled out a couple large chunks of ice where it has been so cold in the uk! This can't be good for the car.

Jsnake513 did u just still a couple holes in there to drain or something?

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
If the rear hatch glass has been replaced (or if the factory did a crap job) there may be a leak from that seal.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I had the same issue.
Could never solve it but, once I dried out everything, I noticed the water was ONLY leaking in the left side of the hatch (where there is a vent) except that the first time i noticed, so much water had accumulated that it had splashed all over the place and reached the back seats and all that.

Make sure your sunroof (if you have one) drain which leads straight there isnt blocked (blow compressed air into it from the sunroof opening and see what happens)

I will try fixing mine again sometime in the summer. Good luck till then

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate all the contributions!

I still cant put my finger on how its getting in?

I dont think its the vents at the back as I put talc powder around them and found no trail.

I have been driving around now for almost a month with no interior and its very annoying.
I think today im going to drill some holes and let it drain and re fit my interior.

I will still try and keep an eye on the issue and post any updates!

If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated!

·
Celica Enthusiast
1,247 Posts
Drilling holes might not be way to solve this issue.. You might be faced with rust later on.. To find the leak just have someone run a hose over the car while you sit in it. I found mind in a rain storm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its summer (ish) now in the UK. so hard to see for sure recently if the leak is still there I have taken the boot/trunk seal off and put silicone in all the butted gaps of the body work. with the few rainy days recently it has not leaked!

fingers x

1 - 17 of 17 Posts