NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after all the crazy rain we have gotten up here in New England I have found out that there are 2 leaks in my car.
First one shows up under the passenger side foot well. It appears right in front of the seat near the indentation of the seat that gets wet. I am pretty sure that the windshield seal is failing but cant be sure 100% until my window gets replaced...

The second leak happens in the trunk on the drivers side where the spare jack is stored. The area that is directly behind the tail light fills up with water and then it spreads down into the spare wheel well. I drilled 2 pin hole size holes in both the wheel well as well as the bottom of the area right behind the tail light. It still gets occasionally wet and only on that side. I thought the issue was caused by the torn gasket that goes around the hatch but after installing a new one the leak is still there.

Any advice would be appreciated and if pictures are needed I can try to get some tomorrow for those that dont know what i am talking about...

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bumping this back for a solution.... I thought it was leaking behind my tails but after 3 differents sets of tails there is still a leak somewhere....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Here is a tip for helping find the leak in awkward spots. Start recording a vid with smartphone then prop it up pointed towards the suspected intrusion area. Now pour bucket of water or use hose over exterior area for a little while. Review the recorded video to see if you can spot intrusion.

Here are common leak causes:

for tail light/trunk area:
there is a gasket that goes around the tail lights that has been known to fail over time.
PN: 815522B530
Link (just the first one I found, shop around, reference only) tail light gasket

For the trunk depending on location it could also be that the sunroof drain pipe popped out of the rubber boot. See this youtube video for example: youtube link drain pipe

Next time if its available to you try using a shopvac with some flexible cheap fuel line/fish tank hose duct taped to the nozzle instead of drilling the body, now you have a rust prone area at the hole.

passenger footwell:
Couple of causes most common being coolant leak or backed up AC drain tube I believe. Google search string "newcelica wet passenger floor" or "newcelica passenger footwell leak" change the wording around if not gettting the right results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts