NewCelica.org Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
201 - 220 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Kumho Ecsta XS 205/50R15 86W

Another for the list in Replacement Components > 4 Exterior Appearance > D Wheel & Tire accessories > Tires: Kumho Ecsta XS 205/50R15 86W 19.3125 lbs. Not as light as I hoped.
ΔB

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,081 Posts
^^^ :(

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,081 Posts
Hi Guys, this is a good piece of info that I myself have wanted to know for years...

Stock hatch glass 7.5kg == 16.5lbs (not as heavy as I was expecting)

Lexan replacement trimmed to stock dimensions 2.5kg == 5.5lbs

That's a ~66% reduction in weight over stock, although in the grand scheme of things, probably not all that much.

Nevertheless, I thought I'd share the info with you guys and Boosted may want to update the original post on page 1 if he likes. I will be fitting this lexan window to my car during the week (I'm just waiting on some limo black vinyl to make up the outer border for the shizzle.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
i thought it would me more of a weight difference.i still havent done anything with my cf hatch. been thinking of going with lexan but wanst sure if it was worth the headache.whats the weight savings of stock hatch vs cf one?

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,081 Posts
Pretty sure a CF hatch has a really good weight advantage over a stock hatch...it's on the first page of this thread if I'm not mistaken :)
I would say to definatley fix a lexan window if you already have a CF...it just makes sense to maximise the weight saving while it's easy to fit off the car ;)

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,081 Posts
Moonroof (Plastic) ***************11lbs **Monster Hui
Moonroof tracks with motor ********14lbs **Monster Hui
Guys, does this mean that the entire moonroof weighs ~25lbs then? I'm thinking about a complete moonroof delete and fixing a tinted sheet of lexan in it's place. What do we think?

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,081 Posts
It's been raining here in crappy London so much lately that I can't work on the car much. I'll do something with the moonroof soon...just not sure if I want to make that leap and remove it altogether. I'll only do it if when I remove it, it weighs more than 10kg. Otherwise I wont bother.

On a sidenote though, I'm looking for other ways of shedding weight. Currently I'm at 211whp and 100kg of weight loss. I haven't weighed my car, but I seem to think that another 50kg would be a nice number to aim for as it'll take me very close to the 1 tonne mark.

I don't want to remove the dash or plastics from the drivers area of the cabin...it still needs to be pleasant-ish for me to enjoy and drive around and look like a ricer in. Everything from the driver seat-backwards is gone. Lightweight battery (and relocated to the trunk) is fitted, very lightweight ricing seats are in place of the heavy oem leathers, lexan rear window is on the hatch, spoiler has been removed, sound deadening has been removed, foglights are gone as are little things like rear seat belts, rear wiper motor, Cat, light exhaust, 16" TE37 rims are fitted...hell I stuck with oem brakes because I didn't want to add to unsprung weight :eek::

Here's what I don't want to do:
Dash removal
Lexan side-windows/fixed windows
CF roof
Replace oem 'wheel for aftermarket ricer steering wheel

Here's what I have in mind:
cut metal from rear hatch (no point in buying a pretty cf hatch for my car)
cut parts of skeleton from hood (no point in buying pretty cf hood for my car)
remove airbags from doors (is this worth doing in terms of actual weight saving??)
remove airbag from passenger dash (might as well, seeing as the sensor isn't even connected due to bucket seats)
cut spare wheel well in the trunk and fit sheet metal over it.

Any more ideas? It's a pity now though, that most of the stuff I'm looking into now are permanent mods......but then again, my car is already ruined, so I might as well go for it 110% if I'm going to set a world record 12 second ET in the spring of next year :shrugs:

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,081 Posts
Hell no - this is defo not my daily! However I've been driving it the last few weeks though because my other car is broken and omg I hate it. It's insane on fuel, the idle is horrible with that 3" intake/cams combo, it's loud, it attracts way too much attention.......but it's very pretty and I love the fact that when I dab the throttle in third gear at 2500rpm it'll surge forward like it's supercharged :gap:

·
Hardcore N/A
1,396 Posts
^^For the lightweight battery-I think you just added some unnecessary weight moving it to the back.I mean,it almost won't affect performance there and you run extra fat and long cables to send the power to the original position...

Me too doesn't want the things that you don't want!:rolleyes:

cut metal from rear hatch (no point in buying a pretty cf hatch for my car)
cut parts of skeleton from hood (no point in buying pretty cf hood for my car)
remove airbags from doors (is this worth doing in terms of actual weight saving??)
remove airbag from passenger dash (might as well, seeing as the sensor isn't even connected due to bucket seats)
Do not cut the metal-instead take some circular drill and make holes all over the reinforcement metal underside of the hood and trunk!That is the pro way!

These airbags seem to me almost useless...

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,081 Posts
Ahhh yes, to be fair the real reason why I moved the battery to the back, was because the only place in the engine bay that I could fit my 5 litre aluminium fuel cell, was in the space that the oem battery usually sits ;)

As for holes....yeah that'll probably be a good idea. I think the first thing to go soon will be the airbags....and probably the ABS unit. Mine hasn't been working for 2 years so I might as well just get rid of it :shrugs:

·
Banned
56 Posts
I know this thread has been dead for a while, but am looking to drop weight aswell and wonder if the ABS system removal has been done, and can i get a link to the how to is so?

·
Registered
645 Posts
i dunno man, those 10 pounds you'll shave wont be worth not having abs. I used to drive my dads sentra and had a lot of close calls with the tires locking up.

·
Banned
56 Posts
Yeah , having second thoughts about it now that im hearing how much better the brakes are with the abs..i can always lose the 10lbs somewhere else..maybe i'll go on a diet..ha!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've got the VIS Racing Carbon Fiber Raised Hood Scoop from american shop. It's about ~1 kg.
I will try to measure it more precisely in couple of days.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here is my set up and a few weights for comparison, weights are in kg though being from the UK:

324x28mm Vented discs
Wilwood fast road pads
Custom brackets
Custom HEL "Gunmetal" braided lines
Wilwood Superlite calipers

Standard size (275mm) EBC Disc = 6kg
324mm Disc = 11kg
Standard single pot (piece of shite) caliper = 4.6kg
Wilwood Superlite caliper = 2.1kg

So by massively imporving my stopping power I have only gained 2.5kg per wheel in weight. Which in my opinion, is a superb compromise.

201 - 220 of 234 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.