NewCelica.org Forum banner

81 - 100 of 234 Posts

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I can tell you a new one weighs 28lbs. still in the box, dunno how much out of the box though, but I can't imagine the box is more than 3 or 4 pounds at most.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Gas is like 6 or 7 pounds a gallon - it is a big difference.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Is anyone going to do a before and after weight reduction track runs?

Would be interesting to see what is the nominal reduction for a 2ZZ, I would think anything between 200 and 300 would be ideal for both DD and track.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
00silverGTS6 proved this years ago - we stripped his car down, and he ran a 13.7 with just intake, drag radials, unbolted exhaust and power FC

·
Registered
634 Posts
What was the total weight reduction?

·
Registered
165 Posts
1/4 Mile Formula // Weight=Time???

Alright, I dont know if its been covered already but, whats the formula to know how much time one would gain in a 1/4 mile run depending on weight reduction. I know theres a lot of factors to consider but how much you SHOULD gain is what I mean, for example:

- Minus 100 pounds= -1 tenth or 0.1 secs in 1/4 mile time...

Cause theres only so much weight you can reduce, and once you know what 1/4 mile time you want and how much your cars weighs then you know whats your HP/TQ goal, so you could make a plan like: what order to modify in, how much weight/things to reduce, again how much power...ETC

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
RYTEK said:
Alright, I dont know if its been covered already but, whats the formula to know how much time one would gain in a 1/4 mile run depending on weight reduction. I know theres a lot of factors to consider but how much you SHOULD gain is what I mean, for example:

- Minus 100 pounds= -1 tenth or 0.1 secs in 1/4 mile time...

Cause theres only so much weight you can reduce, and once you know what 1/4 mile time you want and how much your cars weighs then you know whats your HP/TQ goal, so you could make a plan like: what order to modify in, how much weight/things to reduce, again how much power...ETC
It seemed to be roughly 1/10th for every 100 pounds but it all depends. Weight off the flywheel and wheels makesa much bigger difference. Likewise weight off the front can actually help less than weight off the back does.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Alright, Ive been thinking about this lately...

Besides all other weight reduction, CF hood, 11 pound battery, blah, blah, blah...

What about absolutely striping from the front seats back, basicaly making your car a 2 seater, yeah it would look crappy and be noisy ( I tried it before). That, and cutting out the spare tire well, and replacing with CF or an aluminium plate then...
Covering everything with a fabric, ok; light weight fabric, or a carpet like fabric, like the one used on a speaker box, black preferably (it hides more), see my point is to try and make it look not-so-bad, and still be light weight while being comfortable.

I dont mean just lay it on there, but like glue it around the whole surface, like on a speaker box, I might do something like that once my car is running harder.

Also, taking a door-knob-hole-maker-drill-bit, and making holes through out the hole chasis, then reinforcing the frame with of course... Light weight aluminium bars.
My friend was reading about something like that in some magazine and said it reduced about 800 pounds on a RSX while maintaining the door panels and 2 racing seats, I just thought that was sweet.

·
Professional Carsmith
6,311 Posts
RYTEK said:
Alright, Ive been thinking about this lately...

Besides all other weight reduction, CF hood, 11 pound battery, blah, blah, blah...

What about absolutely striping from the front seats back, basicaly making your car a 2 seater, yeah it would look crappy and be noisy ( I tried it before). That, and cutting out the spare tire well, and replacing with CF or an aluminium plate then...
Covering everything with a fabric, ok; light weight fabric, or a carpet like fabric, like the one used on a speaker box, black preferably (it hides more), see my point is to try and make it look not-so-bad, and still be light weight while being comfortable.

I dont mean just lay it on there, but like glue it around the whole surface, like on a speaker box, I might do something like that once my car is running harder.

Also, taking a door-knob-hole-maker-drill-bit, and making holes through out the hole chasis, then reinforcing the frame with of course... Light weight aluminium bars.
My friend was reading about something like that in some magazine and said it reduced about 800 pounds on a RSX while maintaining the door panels and 2 racing seats, I just thought that was sweet.

You could do the carpet thing if you wanted, or just paint it (that's what I did) and hide the wires behind the interior metal panels....about the holes in the chassis...I wouldn't recommend drilling holes in the chassis unless you absolutley know what you're doing, you gotta remember, that's what gives the car it's shape, and even if you were to reinforce it with something (like aluminum bars) you still have to worry about it flexing around the holes, rustingand generally making things unpleasent,,,if you were to do it, I would suggest you have a little understanding of at least basic engineerings and do it in a non-essential area...

·
Registered
684 Posts
/\/\/\/\ Holy ****.... Did you guys just see the new SCC? It has a S2000 that they lost almost 900lbs! It has pics of them replacing parts with alloy bits and drilling holes in the frame.

And i thought i was a weightweenie lol

·
Registered
634 Posts
Dang, 900lbs. is like taking 2 whole seconds off the celica 1/4 mile lol.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
yeah i think we can remove enough weight on our cars, im about to stip the whole rear, someone here in california did it allready. It looks like crap. but i figured a nice roll cage, some fiberglass, dyno matt for noice, no rear seats/plastics. cf hatch and hood. light wheels,no spare. and you hace a litter, better looking clean ride. add some torque to this no torque car. we in the game.

Whats this fuel cell you mentioned? any web link?

·
Registered
634 Posts
RYTEK said:
So maybe it was an S2000 and not a RSX, and reducing 900 lbs is more like 1 sec. in a 1/4 mile, which is still a lot...
thats the kind of reduction im talking about.
Actually it would be closer to 2 seconds.

The 100 lbs. to .1 second loses it's meaning once you get over a few hundred pounds. A motorcycle weighs about 375lbs. + driver about 500lbs. If it had say 150hp it would run 10s.

Take 180hp celica, reduce weight to about 1500lbs and you're looking at more than 1 second reduction in the 1/4.

An example of this is the Lotus Elise, while it isn't quite a celica it certainly gives you an idea of how much of a difference the weight makes. The Elise runs about 13.4 in the 1/4 weighing in at 1,974 lbs. That's with 190 hp and 138 ft. lb. of torque.

So at the least, the celica should be running in the 13s if it weight 900 lbs. less.

81 - 100 of 234 Posts