NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gts is a 2000 and it has had some different engine bogging and idle issues in the past but they were all due to vacuum and fuel leaks that have since been fixed. It now has a problem that is not severe but is a great inconvenience and I don't know what it could be. Most (not all) of the time when it is at idle and something else is turned on (like the fan or the ac even just the interior air with no ac on) it will bog down and or start reving its self and it revs so low that is sounds like it is going to die. In these cases I have to just turn the ac or whatever off or else put it in neutral pull the e-brake and put a little gas on the engine till the light turns green. The fan running never makes it rev but it will bog a little. But I have to be able to use my ac this summer because I cant roll down my windows long due to exhaust leak that I really don't want to have to fix right now (broken off exhaust bolt - I would rather fix whatever this is than tap that out). If anyone has been through this or know what it is that would be awesome. Also don't tell me it is a MAF sensor because every time I have ever taken it to a mechanic for anything they blamed the MAF and it has been replaced at least 3 times since I bought the car. Thanks.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,302 Posts
Aftermarket intake?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea. I know that causes problems on celica's. It had a cold air intake when I bought it and it is on the to do list to swap with an oem intake until I can get it tuned. Think this would be the cause of such symptoms?

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,302 Posts
3 times replacing MAF & not paying attention to what it's sitting in. Yep, can cause those symptoms. If you have a data reader, look at your Fuel Trims. If you don't, get the extended data when it pops a CEL.

Tuned?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Something to check is the spin resistance of both the alternator and the a/c compressor. If either part has a hard spot in its free spin, it may be adding extra load to the engine at idle. I have replaced a couple of old alternators that had definite resistance, and two a/c compressors with internal issues causing engine drag. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts