NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was getting on the highway and at the top of 3rd when i shifted into 2nd. i really don't know how i did it and i'm really kicking myself in the a** right now. the check engine light and oil light came on the engine is running really rough. i have 0 compression in my #4 cylinder. i'm guessing bent valves. i was able to drive the car to the dealership and they are taking the head off today. they said that because of my aftermarket parts that it won't be covered under warantee. Does anyone know how much this is gonna cost me. thanks.

ps. i had just finished putting my tien ss coilovers on and was loving the ride.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
i believe they have to prove that it was your mods that caused the problem. as long as you werent using nitrous, they have no right to not cover it "because of your mods" thats just silly. FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!

besides the only engine mods you have are an exhaust and an intake. please, fight them because its gonna cost damn near half of what the car is worth...

·
Registered
357 Posts
wait a minute... it was HIS fault. yeah, the mods aren't responsible for it, but should the dealership have to lose money cause he shifter incorrectly? it just gives the dealerships an excuse to raise prices and be asses about warranty work. as far as i know, warranty covers defective parts right? not driver error.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
It doesn't matter, he drove the car to the dealership with the"oil" light on. That's abuse no matter how you cut it. That little light means no oil pressure, and no matter what you did to the valves, now most everything on the bottom end is likely ruined as well.

The "oil" light really ought to just show a picture of a tow truck, because as soon as you see the thing, you should call one.

Scott

·
Registered
138 Posts
that's weird that happened just going from 3rd to 2nd. i've went from 5th to 2nd by accident with no problems. sorry to hear that.

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
I think he means he shifted from redline in third to second, so that means that the motor was spinning at 11k+ RPM. If you shifted from redline in fifth to second, I don't even want to think of what would happen to the motor.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
The ppl who got problems causes by a mis-shift covered under warrenty are lucky. The car had nothing to do with you shifting from 3rd to 2nd and over-reving the engine. It sure makes me glad I got a non-interference engine now though.

They are wrong for basing their decision on your aftermarket parts, however. I see I/E and suspension mods in your sig. Nothing there that would warrent a total engine failure like you just experienced.

P.S. If you're keeping the car I would NOT let them use the same engine. Do not let them hand you a rebuilt one. Go the distance and get a brand new one. You don't know what kinda hidden stresses that thing went through that are not apparent in the engine as of yet.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Da Kine Guy said:
It sure makes me glad I got a non-interference engine now though.
what's a non inteference engine? One that when the piston is at TDC the valves still won't touch it when fully pushed down? isn't that a direct relationship w/ compression ratio?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
If I break my timing belt...nothing happens. The engine will die, but slap a new belt on and it's good to go. My valves never enter the same area once occupied by a piston, thus it is a non-interference engine. Probably attributed to my 8.4:1 CR. Although the N/A 7M (9.X:1 or 10:1, can't remember) is non-interference as well.

So yeah, you were right.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I never understood how so many people misshift. I've been shifting with my left hand for 5 weeks since I broke my arm and I have absolutely NO trouble finding all the gears.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Caliph said:
that's weird that happened just going from 3rd to 2nd. i've went from 5th to 2nd by accident with no problems. sorry to hear that.
do you have a GT? i've miss-shifted on a couple occasions while racing and my 1zz has held up nicely. i guess it's the lower compression? i think the 2zz is a little fragile

·
Registered
474 Posts
n2oxide said:

do you have a GT? i've miss-shifted on a couple occasions while racing and my 1zz has held up nicely. i guess it's the lower compression? i think the 2zz is a little fragile
I have a '00 GTS with the '00 gearbox. I've never even come close to misshifting.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I used to be just like you, Pribilof..... until I misshifted my own car just like carbon did.... Like him, I have no idea how I managed to find 2nd instead of 4th, but it happened :(

No longer an issue for me :) New car, lower revs....

·
North East OG member
12,472 Posts
Da Kine Guy said:

P.S. If you're keeping the car I would NOT let them use the same engine. Do not let them hand you a rebuilt one. Go the distance and get a brand new one. You don't know what kinda hidden stresses that thing went through that are not apparent in the engine as of yet.
Do as he says. If your gonna do the motor work w/ your money, get a whole new motor/used 1. two years ago, my friend misshifted mine. even though toyota rebuiled it, my car i was at toyota atleast once every month or two for something major. well finally my rod bearings gave out and they refused to fix it. Now i got a used motor of a wrecked celi and i'm doing a motor swap w/ some friends. this motor will be stronger cuz it's not undergone a misshift.

after a misshift, the motor is never the same. in some cases the motor will be rebuild fine, but for the most part i'v read countless threads on engine break deffects after rebuild.

·
Registered
896 Posts
same thing happened to me when i was going down an on-ramp. From 3rd it just seemed to slip into 2nd. Luckily i shifted at 3000 rpms.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
they should cover it since almost everyone in the country gets 1 mis-shift is what i heard...if they dont do it take it to another until you find a dealership that WILL do it...if not..gather a bunch of receipts from fellow owners from this board who have previous misshifts and have had them covered...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts