NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A total noob question but i know nothing about tires. What are the steps into buying new rims. I just know i want 17 or 18 inch rims. Like what numbers do i want on the tires...and what do you guys look in rims. The brand, weight, or looks. What are some good brands. What about the tires...which tires should i get with the rims? I don't know the first thing about rims...:p

·
Registered
808 Posts
www.tirerack.com is a good site with lots of info on wheels and tires; start there.

What do you want to get out of new wheels and tires? We can't really help you unless you explain what you're looking for. Better performance? Looks? For track and street performance, you want light weight, wide wheels and soft compound tires with stiff sidewalls. In any case, the TIRES are far mor important for performance than the wheels you mount them on. For looks, just go with anything you like. There are some things to consider however....

The stock GTS size is 205/55/15. 205mm is the width of the tire, 55 is the % ratio of the sidewall profile compared to the width of the tire and 15 is the inner diameter of the tire and outer diameter of the wheel it will fit. You'll read about "plus sizing" which is a way of comparing different size tires with the same overall diameter as stock. So "plus 1" would be ~ 205/50/16, plus 2 would be ~ 215/45/17, plus 3 would be ~ 225/35/18 and so on. Obviously the wider the tire, the wider the wheel. The smallest size that will fit over the brakes is 15 x 6.5" wheels and 195/60/15 tires on the base Celica GT. The biggest commonly used wheel size is 18 x 8" with a 235/35/18 tire. For most people, good looks means a bigger wheel. There's a general perception that the lower profile the tire, the better it will handle, but the tire profile is only one variable that goes imakes up a good handling tire.

IMO the ideal compromise between looks and performance is 225/45/16 tires on light weight 16 x 7.5" wheels. The 225 tires will fill out the wheel wells better than stock while remaining the same overall diameter and put a big footprint on the road. The 16" wheels remain light and wide enough to fully support the 225 tire. There are many wheel and tire choices in that size for reasonable prices, so it is very practical and the sidewalls on a 225/45 tire will be big enough to protect the rims from damage over potholes and bumps.

Falken makes a tire called the "Azenis Sport" which has really raised the bar in performance street tires to a new level. Some competitors of that tire are the Kuhmo MX and Pirelli P-Zero Corsa among others. None of these max performance tires will do well in heavy rain, mud or snow so avoid them if you live in an area with weather. Bridgestone SO3 tires seem to be the best tire for areas with rain but no snow and if you need an "all-season" tire, there's not much that delivers high performance in the dry, but most will perform acceptably. Obviously, for real winter weather or mud, you need snow tires. I used to use studded Nokia tires when I lived in Vermont.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Look. Like. Pay. Put on. Drive

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
erok, you forgot one very important topic.....offset

and just in case people don't realise this, the 15's that were mentioned that come stock with the GTS are the double spoke rims, most people with the GTS have the 5 spoke 16s which are 205/50/16

1 - 4 of 4 Posts