NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing some research and finding out general maintenance on my celica - I decided to clean the MAF sensor and throttle body as well as replace spark plugs and air filter. My RPMs seem a little high and Im wondering if Im just over-reacting. The engine sounds much better and quieter - however at 60mph...im reaching 2200-2300 RPMS - and at 70mph its reaching 3000 rpms. I have a completely stock 2001 GT. Any other GT'rs out there have the same RPM's? Is my throttle body cable to tight? At idle, parked at the house, its at 1000 RPM in park.

Thanks for any info-
JP

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think mine are even higher. Maybe it's time for a cleaning of the MAF sensor and throttle body on mine. I recently did plugs and filter. I think I'l about 2k-2500 higher than what you're experiencing. I'll have to search and find out how to clean these things...crap.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sounds about normal to me really. I take it that your GT is an auto?

·
Registered
118 Posts
60mph .. which I'll take to be 100km/h for me is around 3000rpm. I have a GT 5spd.

·
Registered
486 Posts
60mph .. which I'll take to be 100km/h for me is around 3000rpm. I have a GT 5spd.
same here .... 3000 at 60 mph in 5 gear

how can you have 2200-2300 ?!?! six speed ?! even with a 6 speed 2200 is really low ....

can someone explain me ?!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok - well its good to hear that it is normal. Yes I do have an automatic (01 GT). Before I cleaned the MAF and throttle body (very easy btw) the RPMs would just up and down...up and down like I was revving the engine at start up. After I cleaned the MAF, TB, air filter and spark plugs - i get no more revving and the RPM's seam very steady - I just thought they were running high.

I really appreciate the responses - now on to seafoam the engine - im trying to keep this 130000 mile celica alive forever. ha

As far as cleaning the Throttle Body and MAF - i used the awesome guides from these forums. (thanks to the people that created those).

Thanks.
JP

·
Registered
202 Posts
seems normal to me.....but in park or neutral if the rpm needle moves up and down with no input ..hmmmi think the throttle cable is too tight..this is what happened in mine and i slacked it a tiny bit and it all came back normal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
seems normal to me.....but in park or neutral if the rpm needle moves up and down with no input ..hmmmi think the throttle cable is too tight..this is what happened in mine and i slacked it a tiny bit and it all came back normal.
Interesting - I was reading how someone adjusted their throttle cable and it fixed their high revving on start up.

Thanks again everyone for your responses.

JP

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
60mph on the highway in my 00 GT-S ran right around 2800-2850 RPMs.

My Z at 60mph runs at about 2100-2200. Except when I push the gas at that RPM I actually go somewhere. :chuckles:

·
Registered
842 Posts
sounds good man no worries..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.