NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a 1zz motor to throw into my car to get it back up and running. The engine is from Japan and has a different valve cover, has the coil packs on the side of the head, not COP, throttle body is much larger bore, intake manifold is a 4-1 polished manifold (looks like a header as opposed to the black plastic covered USDM ), but the block and head are the same though. I was just going to strip it down and swap the parts from my old engine over, but if I can use these I want to.

Are the parts mentioned above compatible with the USDM ECU? Are these parts even stock or are they aftermarket? I can't get pics up unfortunately.

Any ideas? I am throwing it into my car late next week.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hmm... I sure hope not...
Here is another picture. The block and head are identical to the 1zz-fe which is a 1.8 and not a 1.6, no matter the application. This picture was found with pictures of the MR-S. Unfortunately every site that has a picture of this engine is in a foreign language. lol.

·
Registered
297 Posts
sounds like a 1st gen 1ZZFE except you say it has vvti?
i was under the impression that the 1zz evolved like this:

I: aluminum 4-1 intake manifold, no vvti, some versions had MAP sensor instead of MAF
II: same intake manifold, VVTI added, MAF standard
III: Intake manifold changed to black plastic construction with short runners (new intake manifold design added like 5hp)
IV: Same engine but then with electric throttle.

What year is this engine you found? and is it possible to take actual pictures?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
that engine's from a corolla, im 100% sure of it. Celica's and i think matrix's are the only two who have the same 1zzfe engine. All other 1zz are not the same.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. Thanks guys. Will it match up to my 5spd and match the celica mounting points? There are no way to get pictures. I am in oregon and the engine is with my car in WA, I intend to go up Weds to start the swap.

Sounds like if I can use this engine I would have more power if I used my intake and stuff.

This is kind of a bummer because I was told that this was a 1zz-fe Celica engine and they also assured that it has low miles and isn't older than 6 years.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
So wait, someone sold you a old ass corolla 1zz-fe motor, claimed it was for a celica and the diffrence was JDM? And you bought it...

take it back.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So wait, someone sold you a old ass corolla 1zz-fe motor, claimed it was for a celica and the diffrence was JDM? And you bought it...

take it back.
I intend to. I know that emissions are different in Japan so it made sense that some of the components would look different. I got this through an engine importer and took their word. I am going to call them monday and see what they will do for me.

·
Ultraviolent
7,921 Posts
Hmm... I sure hope not...
Here is another picture. The block and head are identical to the 1zz-fe which is a 1.8 and not a 1.6, no matter the application. This picture was found with pictures of the MR-S. Unfortunately every site that has a picture of this engine is in a foreign language. lol.
i didnt know there was a BEAMS 1zz, koo:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
that motor will not work it missing the vvti sensor i had a friend bring me his car and one of these motors to swap into his car and it will not work. get your money back

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I recently picked up a 1zz motor to throw into my car to get it back up and running. The engine is from Japan and has a different valve cover, has the coil packs on the side of the head, not COP, throttle body is much larger bore, intake manifold is a 4-1 polished manifold (looks like a header as opposed to the black plastic covered USDM ), but the block and head are the same though. I was just going to strip it down and swap the parts from my old engine over, but if I can use these I want to.

Are the parts mentioned above compatible with the USDM ECU? Are these parts even stock or are they aftermarket? I can't get pics up unfortunately.

Any ideas? I am throwing it into my car late next week.
All celicas are from Japan never built in the US so I dont understand when you say JDM motor?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I before I start the process to return it to the company, Id like to know for sure that this wont work. So the question still stands. When I strip this down to the metal and throw all of the electrical, pulleys, mounts, valve cover w/ COP plugs, knock sensors, etc that I took from my Celica, will it work?

This is an older generation 1zz-fe but it is a VVTI engine 16 valve, same as the Celica 1zz. Where is the VVTI Sensor? I have one from my Celica engine and can swap it over if it will work.

I know how to turn a wrench but I don't know the specific details of the engine's history. I know that the Celica is a Japanese made car, but I know there are differences between the Celica driven in Japan and the Celica driven in the US (I.E. RHD and their stricter emissions standards). I am not throwing JDM around as a buzzword, I just want it clear that this engine was not driven in the US. I didn't know that the engine on the Japanese model was the same as ones sold in the US.

What makes the difference between a 140hp factory 1zz-fe and say a 130hp factory 1zz-fe. Are there internal differences? Or is the extra power made from better manifold design and ECU, etc.

Bottom line, I have this engine and I want to get my car finished before I start school again next week. Waiting for the refund of this engine and finding a new engine takes time. I feel dumb for putting myself into this position, but I am living in Oregon and working on the car in Federal Way when I get a few days free here and there. I came across the engine and jumped on it before I really did my research so I had no choice but to take the word of the dude at the yard. The engine has a 1 year guarantee with $600 towards installation of the new engine if I don't want to put it in myself.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
i wouldnt trust it, i ahve never seen that engine before. take it back and get a USDM 1ZZ. they are cheap

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok. I guess you all are right. I don't know how old it is or how many miles it has or even if it has the same internals.

Back to the drawing board.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts