NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my front end started vibrating. Not a typical steady vibration, but a ryhthmic off-on vibration that starts at around 75 mph and steadly gets worse and quicker as you build speed. This can be felt through the steering wheel when it occurs. I have already had my tires balanced and that didn't do anything. I also rotated them and that didn't change anything either. Also when I am at that speed and put the car into neutral it still occurs. I have no idea of what it could be, maybe a bent driveshaft? Does anyone have a clue or have experienced this problem? Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
First of all just a little FYI it cannot be a driveshaft because those only apply to RWD or AWD vehicles and considering the Celica is FWD it is obvious that it is not a driveshaft LOL, unless you are getting your parts mixed up.

I have a couple of questions that may help me give you some idea of what is going on. (1) Has you car been lowered? If so, then how much? (2) Does your car make any weird popping sounds when you turn hard left or right? (3) Has your car set for a long period of time? It could be that your tires are flat spotted, hence the reason why a rotate and balance did not help. It could be a number of things but lets stick with those questions for now. Any more info. you can provide would be helpful.

Justin

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Originally posted by DopeCelicaGT
First of all just a little FYI it cannot be a driveshaft because those only apply to RWD or AWD vehicles and considering the Celica is FWD it is obvious that it is not a driveshaft LOL, unless you are getting your parts mixed up.

I have a couple of questions that may help me give you some idea of what is going on. (1) Has you car been lowered? If so, then how much? (2) Does your car make any weird popping sounds when you turn hard left or right? (3) Has your car set for a long period of time? It could be that your tires are flat spotted, hence the reason why a rotate and balance did not help. It could be a number of things but lets stick with those questions for now. Any more info. you can provide would be helpful.

Justin
very nicely laid out

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DopeCelicaGT said:

Justin
Ok, I was tired when I wrote that. I meant to say axles instead of driveshaft. Yes my car has been lowered. 2" drop with eibach sportlines and I have koni struts. My car does not make any kind of popping sound or clunk (like a bad cv joint) , I can't hear anything like a whine or grinding either. Tires are fairly new and the car never sits for more than a day. I also have a set of hotchkis sways on it, and I have solid motor mounts. I have had this setup for at least 7 months and it has been fine until now.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I know what it is. my car does the smae thing. the on and off vibrtaion crap on the interstate. the EXACT SAME THING. I just havent gotten energetic enough to take my tires off and get the rings. There is a sponsor on here that sells things called hubcentric rings. if you have aftermarket rims, then this will happen. all you got to do is get the rings and put them in the rim where they go and then put the tires back on and you will be fine. this is a shock absorber. just go to the sponsor section and look for the,
"Do you have vibration in your newly balanced after market rims?" Anyway, ther you go.

·
Registered
681 Posts
vibration

What happens at 135mph? Just kidding, if you slammed on the brakes you could have flat spotted your tires. You could also have a bad axle. The popping noise from hard turning would be a busted boot on the axle which lets all the grease out and the joint goes bad from lack of lubrication. I dont know if axles can get out of balance or not, I dont see how they could. I know a driveshaft can get imbalanced, maybe ask a local driveshaft shop, find one that does a lot of business so they would actually be more likely to tell you the truth and not tell you to bring them in and they would charge you and actually do nothing to them and take your money anyway. then youll have to beat their a*ses!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked my tires for flat spots or any kind of uneven wear and didn't really notice anything. I also don't believe that my rims are bent. I checked the boots and they don't have any leaks. Could an axle get bent just from spinning the tires? I have only done it a few times but it doesn't really correspond with when this problem started happening.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GTSnut said:
Thrown belt in the tire possibly.
I honestly believe that it isn't the tires or rims. Rotating them from front to back did absolutely nothing as far as the vibration goes. You would think if one was bad then it would change how it felt.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
put your car in the air and go around and try and rock each wheel. If they move in any motion that isn't natural (ie turning left and right) then it might be your bearings. It's a slight possibility, but it's something to think about.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Re: vibration

E13 said:
I know a driveshaft can get imbalanced, maybe ask a local driveshaft shop, find one that does a lot of business so they would actually be more likely to tell you the truth and not tell you to bring them in and they would charge you and actually do nothing to them and take your money anyway. then youll have to beat their a*ses!
I guess you missed the part where the celica is FWD.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Maybe its your alignment, My alignment is a little off and it will vibrate my car slightly but only at 75and up and there are a few spots where it wont vibrate at all inbetween, I suggest you get an alignment. When your on the freeway next time when the vibration starts let go of your steering wheel and if you start pulling one way then it is definantly your alignment.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
black02gt said:
Maybe its your alignment, My alignment is a little off and it will vibrate my car slightly but only at 75and up and there are a few spots where it wont vibrate at all inbetween, I suggest you get an alignment. When your on the freeway next time when the vibration starts let go of your steering wheel and if you start pulling one way then it is definantly your alignment.

But does being out of alignment cause off-on vibrations? I have never ran into this before. I did take my car to a local shop today and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. They said everything felt tight on my front end.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Perhaps you had bad tires from the get go. You know tires can get flatt spotted or out of round just from laying around a warehouse too long. Trust me it has happened to me beforeand acted just like your car is right now. As far as your vibration is concerned are you saying that if you hold your car at say 70mph, the vibration will come and go at that speed or is the vibration changing when your level of speed changes?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DopeCelicaGT said:
Perhaps you had bad tires from the get go. You know tires can get flatt spotted or out of round just from laying around a warehouse too long. Trust me it has happened to me beforeand acted just like your car is right now. As far as your vibration is concerned are you saying that if you hold your car at say 70mph, the vibration will come and go at that speed or is the vibration changing when your level of speed changes?
I have been running these tires for several months (falken ZE 512's) and not a single problem up until now. And at 70mph my steering wheel along with the front end will vibrate for about half a second and then not vibrate at all for a half a second and it will go off and on like this as long as I keep this same speed. If I increase my speed the vibration increases in speed until it is a solid (very harsh) vibration. I even took my car to a second shop today and they couldn't find anything wrong. Now let me ask you guys this. How easy is it to bend wheels studs? Could spinning your tires bend them just a little? I was thinking about replacing them because it would be very cheap for me to do and no-one can find anything wrong with my front.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
redracer311 said:
I have been running these tires for several months (falken ZE 512's) and not a single problem up until now. And at 70mph my steering wheel along with the front end will vibrate for about half a second and then not vibrate at all for a half a second and it will go off and on like this as long as I keep this same speed. If I increase my speed the vibration increases in speed until it is a solid (very harsh) vibration. I even took my car to a second shop today and they couldn't find anything wrong. Now let me ask you guys this. How easy is it to bend wheels studs? Could spinning your tires bend them just a little? I was thinking about replacing them because it would be very cheap for me to do and no-one can find anything wrong with my front.
Do you have aftermarket rims? If so, then I am pretty confident that your problem lies within those. The reason I say this is because it sounds to me like your wheels are not fitting on the hub properly. What I mean by that is if you remove the center cap from your wheels you will see the main center bore of the wheels, through that you will see an object that the center bore aligns itself onto and sits on, more or less. If the center bore of the wheels does not sit pretty flush on the hub, the object I spoke of in the last sentence, then your wheels can vibrate up and down on the hub at speeds. This is not good! This can lead to a very dangerous situation. Your wheel studs will control this to a degree but after awhile the stress will cause them to break and trust me you do not want that to happen. However, it is a common thing. Most people that buy aftermarket wheels do not know how to properly select correct wheels for their cars and so they will just get a wheel they like with the right bolt pattern and throw them on there. It is a little more complicated than that and in all honesty a lot of wheel places will sell you wheels that do not properly fit.

There is a remedy to this incorrectly fitting wheel situation though. The remedy is hubcentric rings. These rings mount over your hub, the thing that the center bore of the wheels slide onto. These things are usually made of metal or a hard plastic material and they will take up the gap, if there is any between your wheel and the mounting section of the hub and therefore stop the vibrations that you are describing as well as save your wheel studs and possibly more. This may not be your problem but I suggest you check it out. Just pop the centercap off and look to see if there is any gap between the wheel center bore and the mounting hub. If there is the smallest gap then you need hubcentric rings. Check that out and if there is a gap get back with me and I will explain to you how to measure this gap so you can get the correct size rings. Good luck!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
DopeCelicaGT said:
Do you have aftermarket rims? If so, then I am pretty confident that your problem lies within those. The reason I say this is because it sounds to me like your wheels are not fitting on the hub properly. What I mean by that is if you remove the center cap from your wheels you will see the main center bore of the wheels, through that you will see an object that the center bore aligns itself onto and sits on, more or less. If the center bore of the wheels does not sit pretty flush on the hub, the object I spoke of in the last sentence, then your wheels can vibrate up and down on the hub at speeds. This is not good! This can lead to a very dangerous situation. Your wheel studs will control this to a degree but after awhile the stress will cause them to break and trust me you do not want that to happen. However, it is a common thing. Most people that buy aftermarket wheels do not know how to properly select correct wheels for their cars and so they will just get a wheel they like with the right bolt pattern and throw them on there. It is a little more complicated than that and in all honesty a lot of wheel places will sell you wheels that do not properly fit.

There is a remedy to this incorrectly fitting wheel situation though. The remedy is hubcentric rings. These rings mount over your hub, the thing that the center bore of the wheels slide onto. These things are usually made of metal or a hard plastic material and they will take up the gap, if there is any between your wheel and the mounting section of the hub and therefore stop the vibrations that you are describing as well as save your wheel studs and possibly more. This may not be your problem but I suggest you check it out. Just pop the centercap off and look to see if there is any gap between the wheel center bore and the mounting hub. If there is the smallest gap then you need hubcentric rings. Check that out and if there is a gap get back with me and I will explain to you how to measure this gap so you can get the correct size rings. Good luck!
Well, I took off my center cap and looked but I didn't really see any gap. There is a very small circular space that surrounds the axle but after that space (about 2.5 inches in diameter) there is no gap. Is this what you mean? Also, I have had these wheels on the car since february of this year. I know for a fact that how the wheels are now is how I put them on originally (no ring) and I didn't get any vibration until recently. Can this happen, or will I notice vibration right away with aftermarket rims? Oh, also I have ROTA slipstreams 15" to be exact. I believe Illusive and maybe Dangts use Rotas, I don't know if they had this problem too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts