NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I went to the mall a few weeks back and parked next to this celica..
This thread is not to showoff how my car is shinier than his/her celica but to figure out what this owner has done to his/her car... and in doing so, we could possibly prevent any future damages on our paints.

Any thoughts?

·
o-NO_oB-x
2,920 Posts
its pretty obvious. most of it could be sun damage. some of it could be salt damage from the beaches. mainly:

1)dont let your car sit out doing nothing.
2) wash it so the dirt/grime, and clear coat does not bake.
3) wax and polish once in awhile.
4) wash it.

the front bumper well....girls cant drive :laugh:

ohsnap.jpg

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Probably was crashed and poorly painted. Toyota's non metallic colors (as far as I know) do not use clear coat. That car is shedding clear coat.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Probably was crashed and poorly painted. Toyota's non metallic colors (as far as I know) do not use clear coat. That car is shedding clear coat.
Don't use clearcoat? I've never heard of that before.

That graying area is full out clearcoat failure- the clear has delaminated from the color (base) coat. There is no coming back from that and a respray is the only solution. If it was just what is normally called 'oxidation', it could normally be buffed out. Clearcoat failure is the extreme/end case of oxidation.

As for how it happend, ya, it was probably a poor respray job with a cheap clear. The car being dirty, especially from bugs and bird crap, can speed up the process.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Yea, look at older MR-2's and Celicas. The red just fades to powdery pink, which would not be the case if there were clear coat.

·
SLO2ZZ
779 Posts
This is exactly how my hood looks, but it's because the person who had it painted before me had a really crappy job done... Sooo i'm getting it repainted this summer. silver again.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
best test for clearcoat, rub a spot with some rubbing compound or scratch/swirl remover. If it comes up with your paint color on it, you have no clear coat. If it comes back just a little dirty looking then you have clear coat.

·
Registered
654 Posts
My hood got like that too, I believe its because of the hot engine, since there isn't a heat protector on the under side of the hood.

·
One Final Storm
3,472 Posts
My neighbor's car has that paint damage too..but he keeps it garaged when its not in use :confused:

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
^ :chuckles:-HAha...yeah, I agree.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Don't use clearcoat? I've never heard of that before.

That graying area is full out clearcoat failure- the clear has delaminated from the color (base) coat. There is no coming back from that and a respray is the only solution. If it was just what is normally called 'oxidation', it could normally be buffed out. Clearcoat failure is the extreme/end case of oxidation.

As for how it happend, ya, it was probably a poor respray job with a cheap clear. The car being dirty, especially from bugs and bird crap, can speed up the process.
Toyota use to single stage their solid colors but our celicas are base coat/clear coat

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Toyota use to single stage their solid colors but our celicas are base coat/clear coat
Really? First time I polished up my black turd I rubbed off some black paint.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts