NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Brighter headlights, better quality sound from your stereo, better idle, better throttle response, and supposedly better MPG.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
IS IT GOOD FOR YOU CUZ I HEARD PPL SAY IT WASNT GOOD FOR UR CAR SAME THIN AS PULLEYS

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the Arospeed ground wires on my celi, and I didn't notice any change at all in my headlights or sound system. But I did notice a slight power gain.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Originally posted by ItLooksFast
IS IT GOOD FOR YOU CUZ I HEARD PPL SAY IT WASNT GOOD FOR UR CAR SAME THIN AS PULLEYS
Not quite.... pulley problem is a mechanical problem. If pulley breaks then drive belt is f00ked and engine will damage itself.

This is a electrical issue, I can't see why this would be bad. Maybe the gains are minimal, but it can't be bad to have good grounding.

Originally posted by jway83
yes it's good. to ad to this, what does a resistor do?
Resistor actually takes away volt, so it's not good to place a resistor in your electrical system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
how will this ruin you engine..... you have all of what running on your pulley system... so i fail to see any mechanical damages caused by this...

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
i still am not understanding exactly how a grounding kit can make such a huge difference? what exactly does it do? Wires are grounded as it is...bigger wires ground better?? i'm no electrical engineer...but i don't see how that makes sense.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Originally posted by typeIIonair
how will this ruin you engine..... you have all of what running on your pulley system... so i fail to see any mechanical damages caused by this...
Externally, there will be no problems, but aftermarket crank pullies don't have a torsional damper built in to reduce vibrations from the pulley system. Without that, the crank starts to vibrate along with the pulley, especially at the flywheel end. This causes excess stress on parts like the crank bearings and oil pump. Outside the engine, the crank pulley is connected to the power steering, alternator, water pump, and AC pump, so it has little to no negative effects on them (unless it's an underdrive pulley).
Originally posted by My68Spit
i still am not understanding exactly how a grounding kit can make such a huge difference? what exactly does it do? Wires are grounded as it is...bigger wires ground better?? i'm no electrical engineer...but i don't see how that makes sense.
Stock wiring tends to use the minimum necessary gauge thickness for cost savings. Adding more grounding points with larger wire will lower electrical resistance on parts that draw a lot of power (radio, headlights, starter, spark plugs, etc.).

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
stock system already has a few grounding points on the celica.

its a waste of money imho.

If you have any kind of aftermarket stereo its a better idea because most installers dont know how to properly ground the system, but you dont need so many grounding points.

my.02

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
ground wire helps IMO. Stock ground wires are pretty small. Really cheap in fact. A better grnd would (on paper) provide more power cause of a better spark .. ya know. Off course don't expect much power from this. And don't expect huge differences in all the other points said in this thread. But you can do it yourself for really cheap.

It wont hurt for sure. at the very least, you'll run safer so .. why to bother? Do it!!

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Grounding kits making power is a myth plain and simple. The stock grounding system is more than adequate, and the only cas ein which grounding kits will make a difference is when one of two conditions exists:

1 - the electrical system of the car has been modified to where current flow far exceeds the original intended levels (this gain is usually minimal and is more related to strength and clarity of large sound systems, aftermarket HID lights, etc.)

or

2 - You car is older, or has been worked on a few times and certain grounds have become corroded or have been left loose. (this is the more common case where it would actually make a positive impact).

On cars that are less than 3 years old and haven't been worked on a bunch, the odds of seeing an improvement are next to nothing. This is not an opinion, this is a fact. Grounding kits will NOT strengthen your spark. Assuming your car is well maintained and you factory ground straps are all tight and in their proper locations this will NOT produce any measureable results.

However - all that being said, as long as the kit is installed properly it cannot hurt anything either.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have this car mag and it did a dyno on a stock 240sx vs dyno with ground wires... and it yielded about 4hp over stock peak...

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Could have been just resetting the ECU that did it, or perhaps that car had some loose, missing, or corroded ground wires.

Let me put it this way - you all know how feirce the horsepower wars are in newer sports compacts - more HP = more sales. If a manufactorer could put 5-6 HP to the crank simply by adding or increasing the size of some wires for a measly (to them) 5-10 bucks a car - they would go for it in a heartbeat. However their electrical engineers already know what size ground straps are needed and in what location to provide peak operation and that is how they design the system.

Grounding kits do not improve the original design, they simply correct existing problems.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Originally posted by Boosted2.0
Could have been just resetting the ECU that did it, or perhaps that car had some loose, missing, or corroded ground wires.

Let me put it this way - you all know how feirce the horsepower wars are in newer sports compacts - more HP = more sales. If a manufactorer could put 5-6 HP to the crank simply by adding or increasing the size of some wires for a measly (to them) 5-10 bucks a car - they would go for it in a heartbeat. However their electrical engineers already know what size ground straps are needed and in what location to provide peak operation and that is how they design the system.

Grounding kits do not improve the original design, they simply correct existing problems.

True. Unless, as you said above, certain modifications have been made or the engineers requests were slightly altered by the purchasing department. :gap:

I will say this, I have yet to install one of these kits on a car that I haven't seen a gain on. Now, this could be from a simple ECU reset, as stated by boosted, but the gain remains even after a few days driving.

Not only is a power increase usually seen, but you will stablize the electrical system. If you could ever put an o-scope on your car during start-up or during operation before and after install....you would be amazed.

I was heavily involved with the upgrade of many OEM Harley clone manufacturers electrical systems (Swift, Titan, BIg Dog, AIM, and Indian<before the went belly up>). This was due to a bad grounding system still in use today by Harley Davidson that they simply copied. A simple ground wire system change and a standard mounting point made these bikes 100% easier to start and operate their lighting system with stressing the electrical system.

In short...will the grounding kits work on every vehicle made? I doubt it. Will they work on most vehicles? I'd venture to say yes.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Red01GTS said:
Not only is a power increase usually seen, but you will stablize the electrical system. If you could ever put an o-scope on your car during start-up or during operation before and after install....you would be amazed.
Really? And what circuit should I be looking at to become amazed? I happen to have a very nice dual trace osciliscope I've used to look at many circuits and I've never seen anything that made me thing there was excessive noise or insufficient ground on most newer cars with virgin electrical systems.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Originally posted by Boosted2.0 Really? And what circuit should I be looking at to become amazed? I happen to have a very nice dual trace osciliscope I've used to look at many circuits and I've never seen anything that made me thing there was excessive noise or insufficient ground on most newer cars with virgin electrical systems.
First and foremost, most Celica's do not have virgin electrical systems. I would venture that 80%+ have at least an aftermarket stereo in them.

Second, monitor the battery output during start up. Along with that, watch the charging system output while turning on and off the lights, stereo, etc.. Now do the same with a grounding kit installed and watch how stable the system becomes.

I am not arguing that an engine will receive power just by adding wires. What I'm saying is that the entire electrical system will become stable and operate with greater performance. A by-product of this, in most cases, is increased engine performance (largely in part from all the electronics on newer engines).

How about this? We have connections in the 12v industry and we should be able to get some good grounding wires for a sample on the cheap. How about Satan and I build one and YOU install it in a team members car to make sure there isn't any foul play. After that, we'll go dyno it.....(this should be done near a dyno day to make it easy). If it works on the dyno, you pay me cost. If it doesn't, it's yours no charge. Dyno to be paid for by vehicle owner. :gap:

I'll discuss this with Satan to make sure this is what he wants to do or can do, but what do you think? This is all in good fun too and just trying to end the grounding wire debate for good. I'm not calling anyone out. I think it's a good way to kick back, talk smack, and end the whole debate once and for all among friends.

Sound good?

·
Registered
470 Posts
What RED said sounds good to me... I can dig up some really good cable for this project!!! We will just LIMIT the amount produced for this fair, and possably fun competition!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts