NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been rollin on trd coilovers for a while now and im not too impressed with it so i was tinkering around with the idea of getting the kyb agx with c-one springs cuz i think they have the higest spring rate(not completely sure). i like the idea of adjustable shocks. or should i just go with tein ssp and get both feature of height and shock adjustability?

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Just out of curioisty, did you have any other issues with your TRD coilovers? I haven't been all that impressed with mine either and every since the install I have had all kinds of noises from the suspension or what I believe to be coming from the suspension. My car now makes hollow thud sounds up front somewhere over small bmups in the road, the car rides harsh as hell on bumpy roads, handles like pure crap IMO, and to top it all off the rear makes some kind of bumpy squeaking sound all of the time. I never have found out what all of these noises were. In fact, I gave up a long time ago and have been driving it like this for over a year now so I hope I have not been damaging anything. However, I can say that I never had any problems at all until I put these TRD coilovers on and honestly I cannot say for sure that these were not all blown when I got them brand new. The reason I say that is because I got one that was blown brand new out of the box and it made all kinds of racket, much worse than I am experience right now, however the sound I am getting from the rear of my car now sounds a lot like that blown coilover I originally had but much more muted. So, add those noises to the crappy handling I have and the fact that I did indeed get a bad coilover from the get-go makes me believe these things were just crap to begin with. I only hope I have not done any major damage to anything else on the suspension other than the coilovers and the endlinks themselves. If you have had any problems associated with your TRD coilovers other than bad handling then please post it up as I would like to hear about it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i do have the same noises from them and like yourself i just ignored it for almost a year now. that is why i am considering a shock and spring combo now. i was hoping someone could tell me if the performance would be the same or better/worse with the setup i've chosen.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I think the KYB's and the C-One springs would be a good combo. I am not sure how long that the struts would last but it would be a good combo until the struts/shocks went bad. I might go that route myself. Coilovers are nice, but they suck for an everyday driver, have to be rebuilt about every 30,000 miles if not before, and are unnecessary unless you road race a lot. I too am thinking about going with the above combo now. I don't need coilovers anymore and as long as the car handles decently without all of the noises I am good to go. I think this set-up will do just that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just got the Tein SS-P installed last week and loving the feel so far. I do AutoX in the summer and I just like the height adjustability so I went with the coils.

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
Tein SSP's are awsome. But if you want to just do springs and struts I would go for Koni's.

·
Premium Member
7,520 Posts
I had the KYBs, they weren't that hat. I shouls have spent the couple of extra bucks (it wans't much) to buy the Konis.

Oh well. Hindsight = 20/20. Sold that thing anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts