NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
once in a while, when i start my moms car (rav4) up in the morning, i see a puff of white smoke come out of the exhaust. something is def wrong because sometimes, the CEL comes on too.

the thing is the puff of white smoke doesn't come out everytime and the CEL only stays on for a short amount of time.

btw, the smoke is not the kind of smoke you see when you start your car up in a cold weather. its thick and doesn't evaporate easily.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Originally posted by S|Lv3rBu||et
I think white smoke is usually coolant..... headgasket? :ugh:
Correct, as long as the smoke is "steam" and not actual "smoke"

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
the rav4 i believe still comes with the 3SFE? if so, it is the valve guides... very known issue with these motors... especially after sitting overnight, some oil leaks past the guides and into the cylinders which causes the smoke you see... not a huge problem, but it will only get worse over time...
R

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i took a look under the hood today. the coolant is at "low". another thing i found disturbing was that the coolant was blue. shouldn't it be red?

also, i've been driving my mom's car a lot lately and noticed that the rav4 only gets roughly 170 miles before the gas light comes on. is this related to the white smoke?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Did it look like there was oil on the coolant. A tell tale sign of a HG failure, or cracked head or block.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
let me check. its going to be kind of hard to check the coolant since its so low and the tube is really long.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
You can also check the oil by doing an oil change. If the oil looks like there's coolant in it.... well, you know.

Also, some shops can do an exhaust gas analysis to see if there's traces of coolant in it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts