NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this should be in the Newb section, but I did perform a search with only 2 hits that were not relevant....so this might be useful for a lot of people

Just came back from my 30,000 mile service and they replaced the bell crank under warranty. This was due to me asking them to look into why I was continually squeking shifting through the gears. I assumed it would just be a lube problem or something. Thankfully they replaced the bell crank and everything is great now.

So basically what is a bell crank?

Could my driving habits have anything to do with it having to be replaced? I drive fairly aggressively and so did the previous owner of the car....

Also my windows were moving really slow....they lubed the runners and they move like lightning now. I remember seeing a post about slow windows from some other owners. This has corrected the problem.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
The bell crank they are referring to is the collection of levers on top of your tramsmission that take the camle movement and transfer it into the correct movement for the transmission. (They are gold /brass colored) The term bellcrank can be used to reger to anything that uses leverage to cause motion though a linkage. For instance, the thing your throttle cable attches to on the throttle body is called a bellcrank. The term originated from the use on leverage and a cam on an axle to cause motion in large bells in churches, goverment buildings, etc. The cam the rope was attached to was called (of course) a bell crank.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I had received a recall notice about the bell crank bolt not being tightened correctly on some 2001 GT's, so I took it to the dealer to let them do their thing. After they tightened it, my shifter squeaks going into reverse. (This same dealership tried to charge me $33 when I told them my brakes were popping really bad). Would the squeak be caused by them going into the assembly and tightening that bolt?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually I totally forgot that I had this problem last summer...I just checked my invoice from when I took it in in June and they replaced my bell crank at that time as well....so twice in 8 months they've given me a new bell crank. I would've asked when I was there exactly what the problem is but I failed to realize this was replaced already under warranty.

So far I've had the car 8 months and I've replaced the bell crank twice and the belt tensioner once. Hopefully this won't happen again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.