NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok as it says, what is heatsoak? I'm looking at getting a short ram intake because I don't want to get a cai again (thank you water lol). Anyways does heatsoak mess up the engine or is it that I will lose power sometimes?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
You will be sucking hot air from the engine = Less power compare to the CAI But they have a heat shield for shortram. Did you Hydrolock your car or something?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
001s2000 said:
stock air box with butterfly removed, cut out a hole in ur hood and ram air into the box =)
I don't think removing the butterfly valve woul gain any HP. Definitely a short ram w/ heatshield would have better gain than a stock air box.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
JOHN_B said:
I don't think removing the butterfly valve woul gain any HP. Definitely a short ram w/ heatshield would have better gain than a stock air box.
your right, but it does make use for that air ram, although i havent tested it....

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
jayspeedy24 said:
butterfly vavle removed and trd filter would give same gains as shortram
Yep. I forgot to mention replacing the stock filter.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Friend of mine who works for Toyota told me that instead of removing the butterfly valve I just have to unhook the tube that goes to it thats all. Then it doesn't move, much easier imo.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Even then it still blocks a big chunk of open area with the butterfly left open. Just unplug the hose, insert a nail or screw and remove the butterfly unit. Now you have an unrestricted opening.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
I'm not sure my intake setup is actually an SRI. I have an L-shaped setup that places the cone filter just over the frame rail. I reckon this setup is less prone to heatsoak as the SRIs I have seen where the filter is directly in front of the radiator fan.

·
Registered
179 Posts
any sri would be fine. the hole in the nose was there to allow cooler air into the stock box. yes, warmer air will engulf your sri at a stand still, but upon moving, the air in the engine bay is continually variable becasue ports in the nose and the scoop on the hood move the hot air out of the engine bay. after 10 mph, heat soak wont be a serious (and hardly a minor) problem, and the heat shield will act as a net to catch any aditional air that passes past the filter cone.

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
as far as the tube itself.. those cai tubes get hot... what kind of stuff should it be wrapped in?? or why dont CAI companies simply make the things out of the same oem rubber???

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
removing the butterfly valve alone has been dyno proven to something like 1.5hp and like 2.8tq. also, heatsoak isn't something you worry about unless you have a turbo car. although to actually answer your question like so many haven't, heatsoak is when heat encompasses a part and keeps it from doing its job as it should. this mainly happens with intercoollers on turbo cars where the intercooller can no longer cool the incoming air because the incoming air is to hot and the metal of it has heated up so much that there is to heat from able to transfer to the intercooler anymore (intercoolers working in a way of heat from air to intercooler, and intercooler to ambient air)

i hope it helps. if nothing else wiki probably has an article on it, probably how things work intercooler would help too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
drewd said:
as far as the tube itself.. those cai tubes get hot... what kind of stuff should it be wrapped in?? or why dont CAI companies simply make the things out of the same oem rubber???
any type of heat wrap will do fine. however most (if not all) sri and cai tubes are ceramic coated. i know my k&n is, so the outside of the tube gets hot, but the interior of the tube is shielded. CF is another heat resistant material, and, imo, would look cool as an air tube.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts